When a story sounds just too good to be true, well…

The Associated Press picked up a story Monday that we also posted about an unwanted rodent, who was thrown into a fire by a homeowner. Apparently, the mouse managed to claw his way out, scurry back to the house while still aflame and set it ablaze. The AP even had a quote from Luciano Mares, the homeowner, confirming the incident.

Yet, something seems to have gone awry in that newsroom.

Mares now tells local KOAT-TV, that the mouse was already dead when dropped into the flames. The actual cause of fire? High winds. (Albuquerque Journal)

Some ideas for protecting your house from fire, and beyond, to start the new year right. (CNN)

- Riva Froymovich