Rudy Giuliani's senior communications advisor Mike McKeon says that a list of "12 commitments" the former mayor unveiled today is "the vision statement" of the campaign.
The 12 points (full list after the jump) have a sort of Contract with America/biblical ring to them, and clearly emphasize Giuliani's perceived strengths, starting with the statement, "I will keep America on offense in the Terrorists' War on Us."
Giuliani also makes some bold promises to "end illegal immigration," decrease abortions by increasing adoptions, and cut taxes.
Missing from the list, however, is any mention of arguably the greatest policy issue of the day, the War in Iraq.
"You shouldn't read too much into that," said McKeon. "Today's the vision, the substance will come after. We're going to address all these issues in greater detail as we go forward.
When it comes to the war in Iraq, McKeon said. "The mayor's views on that are very strong and very consistent."
Rudy Giuliani Unveils Twelve Commitments to the American People
Bedford, NH – During a speech at the Old Bedford Town Hall in New Hampshire today, Mayor Rudy Giuliani announced Twelve Commitments to the American people, a bold vision aimed at moving America forward through change and reform, overcoming new challenges and increasing accountability in Washington.
Rudy's Twelve Commitments are based on the principles of giving people more freedom, more power, and more responsibility over their own lives, while protecting our nation, strengthening our economy, and improving the quality of life.
"I believe America solves its problems best from strength, not weakness, and from optimism, not pessimism," Giuliani said. "My Twelve Commitments are a promise to this generation and generations to come that we will keep the American dream alive. I believe it's the kind of leadership and common sense accountability the American people need in Washington."
Mayor Giuliani will travel the country this summer to detail each of his Twelve Commitments.
The Twelve Commitments:
- I will keep America on offense in the Terrorists' War on Us.
- I will end illegal immigration, secure our borders, and identify every non-citizen in our nation.
- I will restore fiscal discipline and cut wasteful Washington spending.
- I will cut taxes and reform the tax code.
- I will impose accountability on Washington.
- I will lead America towards energy independence.
- I will give Americans more control over, and access to, healthcare with affordable and portable free-market solutions.
- I will increase adoptions, decrease abortions, and protect the quality of life for our children.
- I will reform the legal system and appoint strict constructionist judges.
- I will ensure that every community in America is prepared for terrorist attacks and natural disasters.
- I will provide access to a quality education to every child in America by giving real school choice to parents.
- I will expand America's involvement in the global economy and strengthen our reputation around the world.