Did you know The Plaza was turning 100 this coming month? Paul Anka knew! Matthew Broderick knew! They’re both going to be on hand, apparently, to celebrate the momentous event. Once upon a time it was a lovely hotel your middle-class mother took you to for tea once a year (hey, Carmela! Welcome back!) Now it’s a condominium you can’t afford to live in. So break out the Grucci fireworks, the 12-foot birthday cake, and … the Orchestra of St. Luke’s!
THE 100th BIRTHDAY OF THE PLAZA
MATTHEW BRODERICK HOSTS CELEBRATION WITH
GRUCCI FIREWORKS AND LIVE PERFORMANCE BY PAUL ANKA
– CELEBRATION OPEN TO THE PUBLIC –
WHAT: The 100th Birthday Party for The Plaza
· Record-Breaking Grucci Fireworks – the largest pyrotechnic display ever launched from atop a building. Fireworks display simulates spectacular birthday cake with 100 candles
· Paul Anka – live performance by Anka, writer and composer of ‘My Way’, with
new lyrics written to commemorate the 100th birthday of The Plaza
· Orchestra of St. Luke’s – 50-member orchestra performs live
· 12-Foot Birthday Cake – NYC’s Biggest Birthday Cake – edible replica of The Plaza by cake master Ron Ben-Israel on display
WHO: The Plaza developer, El-Ad Properties will be joined by city officials,
special guests and New York City resident and host, Matthew Broderick
WHEN: Monday, October 1, 2007
Press Arrivals – 6:00 pm
Façade Lighting Ceremony and Fireworks – 7:20 pm
Paul Anka Performance – 7:30 pm
WHERE: Grand Army Plaza – Media Check-In Location
Fifth Avenue between 59th and 60th Streets
New York City
The Plaza, a one million sq ft. building first opened on October 1, 1907, is undergoing a complete renovation and restoration to its former glory. This includes the historic restoration of landmark interiors: The Palm Court, The Grand Ballroom, the Edwardian and Oak Rooms as well as a new hotel lobby, hotel rooms and suites. Between now and the end of the year, The Plaza Hotel and Palm Court will open and The Grand Ballroom will make its debut. The first quarter of 2008 will see the scheduled opening of the Oak Bar and Oak Room, as well as The Plaza Retail Collection. Occupancy of the private residences has begun with several owners already in residence.
CONTACT: HWPR xxx.xxx.xxxx
ALL MEDIA MUST BE CREDENTIALED IN ADVANCE FOR COVERAGE.
PHOTO OPPORTUNITIES & INTERVIEWS AVAILABLE.