Burstin’ With Durst! Condé Nast Says Yes to Anchoring His Far West Side Tower

breaks 4timessq1v Burstin’ With Durst! Condé Nast Says Yes to Anchoring His Far West Side TowerWhen Condé Nast moved its headquarters from Madison Avenue to 42nd Street in 1999, it brought instant credibility to the Times Square office market. Now, only eight years later, Condé Nast is again making plans to relocate its headquarters to another untested area for big-name Manhattan office tenants.

Condé Nast intends to move out of its home at 4 Times Square and into an entirely new tower in Hudson Yards on the far West Side by 2015, developer Douglas Durst told The Observer this week. The new tower, as sketched out as part of a proposal by the Durst Organization and Vornado Realty Trust for the Hudson Yards development site, would be exclusively for Condé Nast and would be built to 1.5 million square feet.

Mr. Durst, the developer of 4 Times Square, said that Condé Nast would consolidate its offices in the new tower and would move out of the roughly 700,000 square feet it currently occupies in 4 Times Square. The Condé Nast lease there ends in 2018, but Mr. Durst said a deal would be negotiated to let the publisher break the lease by 2015.

This is all under the condition—and this is a significant condition—that the Durst Organization and Vornado win the bid to develop the 26-acre Hudson Yards site. Bids are due Oct. 11 to the Metropolitan Transportation Authority, the yards’ owner; other companies preparing proposals include The Related Companies, Brookfield Properties and Tishman Speyer. The New York Times reported on Saturday that rival developer Tishman Speyer has secured Morgan Stanley as a potential anchor tenant for a new tower in their proposal.

Mr. Durst said that having Condé Nast already as its anchor tenant can only help the position of its bid with Vornado.

“We think it’s a tremendous advantage,” he said. “We are very excited about it. We hope it’ll help our bid. We think the team we put together has put us in an excellent position.”

The CB Richard Ellis broker Mary Ann Tighe—who was ranked the no. 4 most powerful woman in New York business by Crain’s last week, and will be honored by the Metropolitan Museum of Art this week—famously led the Condé Nast search in the mid-1990’s that brought the publishing firm to Times Square; she confirmed to The Observer that she was leading the Condé Nast move this time as well, but wouldn’t comment.

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President