Hikind, Taxpayers, Help an Almost-Candidate for Council

Dov Hikind, Joe Lazar

A helpful reader sent in this recent mailing from Assemblyman Dov Hikind of Brooklyn which features rather prominently a man by the name of Joe Lazar.

That’s the same Joe Lazar who is running for City Council in Hikind’s section of Brooklyn, and, hypothetically, could benefit from this kind of taxpayer-funded exposure.

“As of now he wants to run, but he hasn’t made up his mind finally,” Hikind told me just now. “I don’t think anybody has announced to be honest with you.”

It’s an important distinction because, according to Hikind, announced candidates can’t appear in publicly funded mailings like this.

“The fact that somebody is thinking about running is a whole different ball game,” Hikind said.

“Again, anyone can be a prospective candidate. I know the rules. If he was a candidate he would not appear in anything that I’m issuing. I can tell you that right now. You know, I’m very tough and strict about that. He is not a candidate. The fact that somebody is thinking about it, I don’t think that automatically puts you in a category where you can’t appear in these kinds of things.”

In a quick scan of Lazar’s web site, I didn’t see a mention of City Council. But, if you google "Joe Lazar," the headline that pops up above the first hit that brings you to his web site does say "Joe Lazar for New York City Council-Home."

Here’s what Lazar said: “You know, you can read anything you want to into anything. But I’ve been doing things for the community, and for all communities actually–I retired last year, about a year and a half ago, with about 35 years in government service. I don’t have to look for a cell phone project to get my name known in the community. And I wouldn’t cheapen myself to do something like that.”

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President