We’ve got more fun facts from the forthcoming book The Neighborhoods of Queens:
- Stockholm Street in Ridgewood is the only brick road in Queens.
- Woodside and Sunnyside host New York City’s only St. Patrick’s Day Parade open to gays and lesbians.
- Ground was broken on the Triborough Bridge the day after the 1929 stock market crash that sparked the Great Depression. Robert Moses Got Things Done!
- Cyndi Lauper grew up in Ozone Park.
- In the mid-19th century, Rockaway Beach Hotel–then the world’s largest hotel–stretched between Beach 110th Street and Beach 116th Street in Rockaway Park.
- Now, the Rockaways have no hotels at all.
Follow Tom Acitelli via RSS.