Golden Glub-Glubs! As WGA Forces Show's Cancellation, Producer Pulls An Edmund Muskie

transom jjleight1v Golden Glub Glubs! As WGA Forces Show's Cancellation, Producer Pulls An Edmund MuskieAt 6 p.m. on Monday, Jan. 7, Barry Adelman, the executive producer of the Golden Globes ceremony for eight years, gathered his staff in the Santa Monica offices of Dick Clark Productions to announce that he had not been able to come to terms with the Writers Guild of America, which has been on strike since Nov. 5, and NBC, which had been scheduled to broadcast the awards show on Sunday, Jan. 13.

“His eyes were completely welled up with tears,” said a source who attended the meeting. “He said, ‘It’s a sad day. We had submitted for this six months in advance. … The Golden Globes has been used as a target and used as a pawn.’”

According to the source, Mr. Adelman said that the WGA had “gone after” the Golden Globes, which is relatively “unwritten,” he suggested, compared to the Oscars. Mr. Adelman said that three weeks earlier, he had offered to do a nonscripted show and donate $1 million to the WGA Strike Fund in order to receive a waiver like the one received by the Screen Actors Guild Awards, but that the WGA had not responded to his offer. (The SAG Awards are slated for Jan. 27 at the Shrine Auditorium; that union has been a staunch supporter of the writers’ strike, anticipating its own, which is expected this summer.)

The WGA did not return a call from the Transom by presstime.

Just hours before Mr. Adelman’s breakdown, the journalist Nikki Finke had posted on her Deadline Hollywood Daily Web site that NBC and Dick Clark Productions planned to air the Globes as a “news telecast.” David Young, executive director of the WGA, angrily called this “a “scam” and a “blatant ploy to get actors and other talent to attend the event” in an e-mail sent to SAG executive director Doug Allen, and obtained by the Transom.

A spokesman for Dick Clark Productions said that discussion of a “news telecast” was never set in stone. For whatever reason, plans to announce the winners at a party hosted by InStyle magazine quickly imploded, and the recipients of the awards will be announced during a press conference at the Beverly Hilton on Sunday, Jan. 13.

Deprived of the red carpet’s pleasures and treasures, actors are keeping themselves busy by appearing in the “Speechless” viral-video series crafted by writer-director George Hickenlooper and his partner, Alan Sereboff. Scrubs star Zach Braff is the latest to take his turn in front of the camera, Mr. Hickenlooper told the Transom. “He came up with his own concept where he’s making love to his own typewriter. Well … speaking sweet nothings to his typewriter,” and bringing it hot chocolate. Clever!

“It’s very funny,” Mr. Hickenlooper insisted, adding that the actors Bill Pullman and Jennifer Jason Leigh will appear in forthcoming segments.