News now from Comedy Central (via Stereogum) that the Colbert Report will be puttin’ on one hell of a Christmas special this year. The November 23rd show will feature Feist, Elvis Costello, John Legend, Willie Nelson, even “Courtesy of the Red, White and Blue” Toby Keith—all singing tunes written by Fountains of Wayne’s Adam Schlesinger. Except for Feist and Keith, each will sing accompanied by Colbert himself, and all will take part in the show’s own rendition of “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” Here’s what Santa’s bringing this year:
• "Another Christmas Song" – Stephen Colbert
• "Have I Got A Present For You" – Toby Keith
• "Little Dealer Boy" – Stephen Colbert and Willie Nelson
• "Hannukah" – Stephen Colbert and Jon Stewart
• "Nutmeg" – Stephen Colbert and John Legend
• "Please Be Patient" – Feist
• "There Are Much Worse Things to Believe In" – Stephen Colbert and Elvis Costello
• "(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love And Understanding" – Stephen Colbert, Elvis Costello, Feist, Toby Keith, John Legend and Willie Nelson
The photos from the already-taped episode—one of Feist in an angel custom blowing Stephen a kiss, the other of Colbert and Costello at the piano (the former looking like Lawrence Welk, the later like Abe Lincoln)—are just priceless. And if Colbert’s track record with musical cameos is any indication, you’ll want to put a little rum in your eggnog when you sit down to watch this one. We can’t wait to see what they do with Mr. Keith.
Follow John S.W. MacDonald via RSS.