Council Candidate Will Refuse Matching Funds: ‘The City Has Enough Problems’

tabaccpatweb Council Candidate Will Refuse Matching Funds: The City Has Enough ProblemsThe city’s fiscal crisis is the reason why John Tabacco said he won’t seek matching funds for his City Council campaign.

“Well, I think the city has enough problems,” said Tabacco in a brief telephone interview this morning. “In light of the fact that we just had to accept a tax increase so that we can get our tax rebate checks from last year, New Yorkers don’t need candidate’s taking money out of their pockets.”

Tabacco, who has the same spokesperson as Al Sharpton, Rachel Noerdlinger, is running to replace Mike McMahon in the special election February 24. The campaign has not filed petitions yet, but Tabacco says he will by early next week.

Tabacco said he’s only accepting $10 contributions from supporters, isn’t holding any fund-raising events, and expects to file about $100,000 by the next financial disclosure deadline next week.

“I want to get out there; I want to meet people, and I don’t want to ask the people I’m meeting to pay for me to run for office,” he said.

 Tabacco, who later described his candidacy for the nine-month gig as “a trial run,”said he will talk about not taking public money on the campaign trial, which could put pressure on other candidates in the race to do the same.

The next candidate forum in this race is on January 12 at 8 p.m., on the second floor of the Manor House, 917 Manor Road, and is being organized by the Anthony R. Gaeta Democratic Club of Staten Island.

There’s about half a dozen candidates also running in the race, including Ken Mitchell, former chief of staff to the outgoing City Councilman, who already submitted petitions to get on the ballot, and Tom Curitore, a former police officer and deputy commissioner in the mayor’s administration.

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President