Like New Year’s for a Year

93183772 Like New Years for a YearWhether or not you think Khalid Sheik Mohammed deserves to be tried in a civilian criminal court, you have this to look forward to when the trial gets under way next year: checkpoints, lots of police officers in the streets, and rooftop snipers lurking above, along with plainclothes police officers, and perhaps, motorcades for the judges and prosecutors.

The Times compares it to New Year’s Eve, but if the defendants do, in fact, want attorneys, it could be a full year of New Year’s-like lockdown. The Attorney General has assured Senator Chuck Schumer that ““New York should not bear the burden alone,” which means the federal government is likely to pick up some of the city’s estimated $75 million dollar tab.

Will that be enough to keep the city safe?

The consensus, at least among non-hysterical-right-wing-New-York-haters, seems to be yes. That doesn’t mean it will be convenient.

Former mayor Ed Koch told me last month he didn’t think the trials would make the city less safe, although he disagreed with the decision to bring them in civilian courts. “[A]llowing New York City to be a base where you incarcerate terrorists is not going to increase the danger in my judgment.”

Mary Jo White, the former U.S. Attorney for the Southern District of New York, the office that’s now prosecuting the case, said that–though military commissions are “more optimal”–she thinks  New York is uniquely suited to handle the case and all the requisite security. “[T]here is no better place to have it done on the planet that the Southern District of New York. You’ve got the track record, the experience with the prosecutors, the defense attorneys, the judges, the marshals, the Bureau of Prisons. You do have in my judgment the best and the brightest there applying themselves to the very, very difficult, very, very important cases.” 

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President