‘Money Guy’ Michaels Makes Lucid Purchase at Lucida

howardmichaels 3 Money Guy Michaels Makes Lucid Purchase at LucidaAccording to city records, Howard Michaels, the fearsome head of the real estate investment concern the Carlton Group, recently invested some of his own money—$9,367,900 to be exact—in a seven-bedroom combined unit at The Lucida, the Upper East Side’s brand-spanking new, first ever LEED-certified condominium gargantua at 150 East 86th Street.

The 110-unit, 20 story high-rise looks a bit like Charlie’s great glass elevator painted by Cezanne in his planar, faceted phase. The high-floor apartment bought by Mr. Michaels and his wife, Jennifer Bayer-Michaels, flaunts floor-to-ceiling windows—and the ceilings are 10 feet high—”luscious, chocolate-stained” solid oak floors, and marble flooring in the bathroom with vanities in bamboo and maple. The building also seduces buyers with a spa center, indoor pool, fitness center, catering kitchen for private events, indoor playground and a private wine cellar (not accessible from the playground, we hope).

The development’s Web site lyrically describes, “the effortless medley of classical elegance and soft-edged modernism” using “lavishly appointed details, exceeding the expectations of Upper East Side living.”

It didn’t take Mr. and Mrs. Michaels long to nab the spacious abode: the listing went up last week! Listed by The Modlin Group‘s Adam Modlin for $10.5 million, Mr. Michaels  shaved a good million off the asking price, but we expected no less from the self-proclaimed “money guy,” whose  Carlton Group focuses on equity and debt placement aswell as commercial and residential real estate loans.

Mr. Modlin could not  be reached due to observance of the Jewish holidays and his assistant refused to comment.

cmalle@observer.com

Article continues below
More from Business & Tech
People take part in a protest outside the New York Times on February 26, 2017 in New York. The White House denied access Frebuary 24. 2017 to an off-camera briefing to several major US media outlets, including CNN and The New York Times. Smaller outlets that have provided favorable coverage however were allowed to attend the briefing by spokesman Sean Spicer. The WHCA said it was "protesting strongly" against the decision to selectively deny media access. The New York Times said the decision was "an unmistakable insult to democratic ideals," CNN called it "an unacceptable development," and The Los Angeles Times warned the incident had "ratcheted up the White House's war on the free press" to a new level. / AFP / KENA BETANCUR (Photo credit should read KENA BETANCUR/AFP/Getty Images)
NYT Now Earns More From Readers Than Advertisers—Thanks, Trump