Lazio Wouldn’t Turn Down Some Big Donations

95010115 Lazio Wouldnt Turn Down Some Big DonationsOn NY1’s New York Times Close Up program this morning, Rick Lazio admitted he’ll probably be outspent “to a significant degree” by Andrew Cuomo, but questioned the propriety of the sitting Attorney General raising money from contributors his office oversees.

“I think that is a serious question for all of us to think about–whether law enforcement officials should be allowed to go out there and raise very large amounts money and whether that clouds or creates an appearance of impropriety,” Lazio told Times reporter Sam Roberts. “I just think that’s a question we need to think through.”

Lazio was on the show to discuss Serge Kovaleski’s story about Cuomo’s fundraising, which reported that the Attorney General has taken millions of dollars from so-called special interests, and that Cuomo has violated his 2007 pledge not to accept contributions over $10,000 from certain groups. Lazio said he’d like to see the upper limit for contributions come down from the current $52,000 cap, but declined to impose any limits on his own contributors. [UPDATE: It should be noted that Kovaleski’s story also reports that donors must show  they have no business pending before the attorney general’s office, and haven’t for the past 90 days, according to Cuomo’s spokesman.]

“We’re focusing on small donors right now,” Lazio said, touting his push for $29 contributions. “That’s the kind of support we want.”

“But if someone offered you $52,000, you’d take it?” Roberts asked.

“We’d probably take it, yeah,” Lazio conceded with a laugh.

In a January filing, Lazio lagged badly behind Cuomo–with less than $1 million on hand to Cuomo’s $16 million–but the Republican hopeful has said he’s seen an “uptick” in fundraising since then, as some big name Republicans have held fundraisers on his behalf.

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President