The full trailer for The Social Network is now up on YouTube.
1. Choral rendition of Radiohead’s “Creep”: Displeasing.
2. All that footage of clicking and typing puts us in mind of the Google Super Bowl ad, and makes us feel briefly that we are watching an bittersweet advertisement for Facebook.
3. We wish very badly that Jesse Eisenberg would close his mouth all the way in that one still. “Intense” and “slack-jawed” are an unusual combination, but not a good one.
4. “People want to go on the internet and check out their friends,” says voiceover Mark Zuckerberg, “I’m talking about taking the entire social experience of college and putting it online.”
Yes! If only a movie could capture the exhilaration we felt in July of ’05! When we finally received our college email address—and with it, the privilege of Facebook. Grown-up social life glittered on the horizon. That glorious, misguided sense of hope was a thousand times more compelling than legal dork war, even legal dork war featuring Justin Timberlake.
5. Obligatory rowers on the Charles and a saucy lady in Harvard underpants. Way to establish atmosphere, Facebook movie.
Follow Molly Fischer via RSS.