- In a bitter stroke of irony, the Justice Department may have been padding its numbers yesterday when trumpeting the sweeping results of its multibillion dollar antifraud initiative, “Operation Broken Trust.” [NYT]
- The President and Congress have agreed: The Bush tax cuts will be extended for two more years, and labor-market casualties will continue to receive unemployment benefits. This compromise is sure to please Americans on the left and the right. [WSJ]
- The government is checking to make sure that 1 billion $100 bills it recently made are usable. This is not because of inflation, but rather because the bills themselves may have “unwanted creases.” [AP]
- The Blackstone Group, in conjunction with a Chinese food corporation to buy GNC, the purveyor of muscle-enhancing smoothies and other dietary supplements. [Bloomberg]
- Oh man, newsflash everybody! The economy is not robust and remains vulnerable to further deterioration. [Reuters]
mtaylor [at] observer.com | @mbrookstaylor
Follow Mike Taylor via RSS.