Accel Partners, the technology investing heavyweight that got behind Facebook at a very early stage, announced today that it’s opening an office in New York City.
Business Insider reports that Accel’s new digs at 11th and Broadway will start without a permanent staff, and instead function more as an outposts for partners who are visiting companies in the city. CEO Jim Breyer, who already has a home in the city, is spearheading the new office along with Theresia Ranzetta.
Accel is known in part for its $12.7 million investment in Facebook when it was still thefacebook.com and Mark Zuckerberg had just reached legal drinking age. It was the first venture capital outfit to invest in the now-dominant social networking site.
It also had a major score recently when Diapers.com sold to Amazon for $545 million.
The company lists 15 New York companies in its portfolio in its announcement:
- Quidsi – Diapers.com - Parent company for leading e-commerce experiences such as www.diapers.com andwww.soap.com
- Etsy - Online marketplace for handmade goods, www.etsy.com
- Squarespace - Leading website and blog publishing platform, www.squarespace.com
- Learnvest - The leading independent personal finance website for women, www.learnvest.com
- Glam - Online interactive consumer magazine, www.glam.com
- Global Grind - A social media site for all content that is relevant in the hip-hop community, www.globalgrind.com
- Bauble Bar - Where those in-the-know shop a curated selection of fashion jewelry, www.baublebar.com
- Birchbox - Delivering the best beauty products and insider secrets, without any fuss, www.birchbox.com
- Loosecubes - Rent a desk or a meeting room for a day, week, or month, www.loosecubes.com
- SalesCrunch - An online sales automation and empowerment platform, www.salescrunch.com
- Bonobos - The online home of the best-fitting men’s clothing, www.bonobos.com
- Collective - A leading media and technology solutions provider for display advertising, www.collective.com
- Exclusively.In - Flash sale for Indian decor, https://exclusively.in/customer/account/login/
mtaylor [at] observer.com | @mbrookstaylor
Follow Mike Taylor via RSS.