The Silicon Alley Reporter 100: 10 Years Later, Where Are They Now?

• For the launch of a site about the New York tech scene, we thought it would be fun to turn back the clock and look at who ruled the roost at the turn of the century. We took as our subjects the Silicon Alley Reporter 100 list from the year 2000, a bumpy patch for the dot-com kids. Hundreds of young public and private companies collapsed after the NASDAQ famously peaked at 5,048 on March 10 and then dove to 3,649 the next month, including the proto-social network theglobe.com, long-loading high fashion site Boo.com and abruptly-bankrupt webcaster Psuedo.com, whose founder Josh Harris is now an advice columnist for Betabeat. “What a difference a year makes,” editor Jason Calacanis’s letter opens. Some of these 100 Silicon Alley entrepreneurs were still flying high at the time of the list, some were hanging on and would rebound later, and others were still helming doomed companies. They were all here during the peak of the city’s tech scene, but where are they now?

Comments

1. Peter Frishauf says:

As the man who hired George to Medscape (and the founder of Medscape in 1995), I can report that George continues to burnish his webCreds as Editor-at-Large of MedPage Today (now a part of one of NYC’s most successful 2002 start-ups, Everyday Health), and as editor-in-chief of CancerCommons. Medscape itself (a leading profit-engine of WebMD) continues to shine and supports hundreds of jobs in the vibrant NYC web scene.

Peter Frishauf
    New York City

2. Wil Harris says:

This is a fantastic article and a great idea – but 100 page views to read it? A bit much! How about some 2011 slideshow technology? :)

3. spragued says:

I got through 8 of them before I remembered I have cookies in the kitchen.

4. Typo here. del.icio.us

5. Karol says:

Hey, from the former President & Publisher of SAR…find a better way to display this fun content…and get JC to give some insight into the back and forth of the day.

6. qka says:

I HATE these fscking slide show articles!

Please provide an all on one page, or at least a bunch on one page option!

7. Crap, I just dumped my print copy of VR 100 for even a better perspective. Oh well, I’m sure there’s a copy around there–

8. Pissed says:

Could someone tell me which page Ernst Malmsten and Kaiser Leander (boo.com) are on please. I can’t be FUCKED to click through a 100 FUCKING pages.

1. Pissed says:

Correct me if I’m wrong but boo.com ISN’T EVEN ON THIS FUCKING LIST.

Next year’s “Where are they now” list should contain Ben Popper. The answer will be “brutally murdered and dispatched in several different graves”.

You fucker.

/Innovation

Looking for Betabeat?

Betabeat is now the newly launched Innovation section of the Observer. All your favorite features and columns—as well as exciting new areas of tech coverage—can now be found at Observer.com/Innovation.

Don't miss the latest and best writing on technology and the future of business innovation. Add the Innovation section to your RSS feed and follow the Observer on Twitter and Facebook.