‘Glenn Beck Threw Me Under the Bus’: Breakfast with Andrew Breitbart

andrewbreitbart Glenn Beck Threw Me Under the Bus: Breakfast with Andrew BreitbartNote: An earlier version of this article read that “According to Mr. Breitbart, fellow Tea Partier Glenn Beck first joined him in editing and eviscerating Ms. Sherrod’s 2010 N.A.A.C.P. speech.” Mr. Breitbart and Mr. Beck did not collaborate in their use of recordings of the speech. The Transom regrets the ambiguity.

Over crème brûlée oatmeal on Monday, conservative blogger Andrew Breitbart talked sting videos. Mr. Breitbart explained to the Transom that Breitbart blog protocol requires undercover video kingpin James O’Keefe to publish unedited versions of his material, to avoid allegations of fabrication.

It’s a lesson Mr. Breitbart learned firsthand, when agriculture officer Shirley Sherrod turned out not to be the racist he made her out to be, no?

“It’s interesting that you ask that, and I’m glad you did,” he said, “because I’m involved in a lawsuit.”

According to Mr. Breitbart, fellow Tea Partier Glenn Beck first independently edited and eviscerated Ms. Sherrod’s 2010 N.A.A.C.P. speech on the radio, before publishing the unedited version on his Web site, discrediting Mr. Breitbart on television and calling for his apology.

“Next thing I know, I’m under complete attack without the support of Glenn Beck, who I thought was somebody I could count on,” Mr. Breitbart told the Transom. “He threw me under the bus.”

The controversial pundit’s new book, Righteous Indignation, posits that a left-leaning, dominant “Democrat-Media Complex” was born out of the influence of post-structuralism on higher education. “Big Education” will be the target of Mr. Breitbart’s next blog.

“I don’t think this nihilist, culturally Marxist view is doing the youth or the workplace any favors,” said Mr. Breitbart.

His frustration ascended new heights witnessing the Wisconsin teacher’s union in gridlock with state legislators last month.

“I’d rather my kids get slapped by a Catholic nun and have guilt about masturbation than come out of school with this nihilistic, angry, leftist worldview that they are clearly pushing,” he said.

Mr. Breitbart was especially disturbed by what he saw as the symbolic use of children in what was essentially a union power struggle.

“When they use the language ‘doing this for the children’? Shut up! Shut up! Shut up!”

The Transom signaled for the check shortly thereafter.

“Do I seem angry to you?” Mr. Breitbart asked. “I don’t like it when people think I seem angry.”

kstoeffel@observer.com :: @kstoeffel

Comments

1. Don Whitted says:

How wonderfully refreshing. Go Go Go Mr Brietbart. You know the problem with Evil is that is so Evil. If you think for one second that this is not a battle for good and Evil, yor would be grossly wrong. I would be very happy to show anyone I am correct. This movement wants to totally take over and make this nation a Socialistic,commnistic country. Its a about power and idioligy.The arrogance is orverwhelming.

1. DonnWhittedisaTurd says:

Dear Don. Pls try to spell check your rants. Makes u seem even more loony.

2. Chet Parker says:

This guy has mental issues and, like many other crazies using the “new media” to spew venom, lies, distortion, etc., does more damage to this country than any foreign government or terrorist organization could ever hope to do. I’ve never understood the “fear of foreign attack” thing. We’ve been under attack for several years now by the crazies in our own country – politicians/media – and look what they’ve done to this once great country. We have total idiots running political campaigns, tv networks dedicated to spreading lies and distortions to the population, and millions of people who are stockpiling guns and bullets in their homes because they’re “afraid” of something but they’re not sure what.

I’d rather posit the mental issue of poor commie loons like SillyChet. The left outright lies everyday, in person, in the media, and justifies this based on their ends. The right edits based on time and space and is then decimated by the communists. Journalism no longer exists as a profession, just a conglomerate of progressive socialists who can’t get real jobs. Commies like Cronkite slashed their own wrists, Socialists like Schieffer and Donaldson kept the wounds open as the industry continued bleeding,
    actual total loons like Rather and Ed Shultz drove in the burial nails.

1. Lester Bakon says:

Right on. The problem with lib journalism is they start from the stand point “all things considered” which is inherently evil. Before reporting you have to support a narrow set of ideal delivered by God and exercised by the founding fathers first. Do you believe socialism is wrong? Yes we need out journalist reporting from that point of view.

Take social security. If you take out more than you put in to the system you are a socialist. When the right wing media shows up a tea party rally and starts calling out all these tea party posers who have taken out more than they have put in to medicare, and social security and public education like Breitbar does and goes undercover to call out these uneducated old hypocrites the REAL media is doing their job.

Do you believe corporate benevolence is a good things. I do, so report from that position and that’s why Brietbart is spokesperson for the embattled corporate industry creators. God Bless

1. LesterisaTurd says:

U r just a turd. Read a journalism book. Stay in ur cave. Turd

2. Me NotYou says:

Me Lester. Lester is Troll. Lester want sexy time with Breitbart.

“The right edits based on time and space …”

Seriously? What color is the sky on your planet?

Were I assured of a space where existed no liberal tools, I would gladly transport to where the red sky rules.

2. Georgerobinsonisaturd says:

U r a turd… We are neighbors and friends. Stop the L/R, us/them BS.

3. BigJim says:

you forgot peter jennings. he was the absolute end of real journalistic integrity. i’m pretty sure karl rove had him assassinated.

4. Game of Life says:

Thank God the sane people are the majority.

Andy and Becky are proof baggers lie, harbor racism and lack intelligence.

4. CoffeeDrinker says:

If the comments by georgerobinson and Don Whitted are examples of the kind of logic, reasoning, and basic grasp of English grammar taught by those who espouse “conservative” values, then give my kids “angry commie Marxist” teaching any day. Because at least then they will be able to form a coherent argument, support it up with reason and facts, and spell and punctuate correctly.

Poor little righties. No wonder y’all are so upset and want to change the culture. You were hamstrung from the start and never had a chance in hell of success in a world based on logic, weren’t you?

And I’m LOLing at Glenn Beck throwing Breitbart under a bus. Nice show of conservative values, there, both of them – conspiring to outright lie together, then betraying each other. Encapsulates the hypocrisy of the current US Right Wing Loon Brigade to a T (or is that tea?)

An all rightwing slap fight is always quality entertainment.

2. Sandy Rea says:

of course, punctuation may be their strong point-but liberals are clueless when it comes to math and the economy.

you can’t fix a debt problem by piling on more debt, and you can’t improve your currency by degrading it.

you sure can’t fix an unemployment problem by encouraging more illegal immigrants to come into the country, either.

hopefully, america will let the “angry commie Marxists” know exactly how they feel about the high unemployment and declining dollar on election day.

5. Mdpimartin says:

the left lives in their on minds…..no wonder they swallow every lie told to them..by other liberals.’.they can think on thier on….their feed ..hate …3 times a day…and get a midnight snack of reality when their forced to watch G BECK

1. BigJim says:

g.beck would have been a snake oil dealer in the 19th century,but, the 20th century rolled along and now he sells lunacy to lunatics.

Somebody dared accuse me of being friends with a liberal. Were I to want a subhuman pet I would get a snake and name it Oscama. Not to beat a dead reptile, the progressive set has committed genocide on an entire race with its’ feel good abortion policy, they created a dependent class of the survivors, then voted unsustainable programs. I do not wish to be be friends with people who know people whose only goal is to drain my country of all that made it great…

You seem to protest a bit much about not wanting liberal friends. But I wouldn’t worry about it — I doubt if a single one is knocking on your door. So sleep well.

Wow, ya think? Just so Yankees know, Austin is where we Texans exile our liberals, we also give them a bit of desert along the border with the other snakes.(see red blue map) Since we discovered the only use for progressives is Target Practice, we get more sport tracking them in the sand. Diogenes like, rather than hunting an honest man, I have searched for a commie pinko with a working brain, same result, an eternity is not long enough.

2. BigJim says:

both bushes drained our country of all that made it great. they followed in the footsteps of saint ray-gun.

3. Game of Life says:

Right. No baggers have ever had an abortion. If you would read you would find out that the red states have the most abortions.

Excepting California and New York your puerile assertion can be stretched to nearly accurate, an amazing accomplishment for a basement resident. Ask your mom upstairs why she didn’t get one. We Red Staters stay red by having liberals reduce their own numbers in self induced genocide. I call it murder, you call it birth control—semantics?

4. Dweb823 says:

methinks someone needs to have their meds adjusted.

Thanks for your concern. You are correct of course, I do need some firing up. I had hoped an espresso and two caffeine tabs would suffice, guess I need the heavy duty stuff.

7. Drseuss says:

Whaaaa….whaaaa….whaaaaaa. What a crybaby. Hey Andy, you lay down with dogs you get up with fleas. What a crybaby.

8. P.F. Bruns says:

“How dare Glenn Beck back off and run the entire story in context?” is what I hear from Breitbart. I’ll say it again: if the man tells me the sky is blue, I’m going to look out the window.

9. Dweb823 says:

Is anyone getting the REAL story here. Breitbart seems to be saying that he and Beck, working together, played the lead role in editing the Sherrod tape. Until now I believe, Breitbart has never said who gave him the tape he aired in the first place and I kept asking who in the media was going to ask him that question because under those circumstances, I thought he had been given a tape by someone else and then played it, without knowing or asking if it had been edited in any way or asking to see the unedited original to make sure it was an accurate representation of what Sherrod said.

So then the barn doors get blown off, the tape is proven to be heavily doctored against Sherrod, and Breitbart never reveals where he got the tape, if he knew it was doctored and apparently never felt that he had been burned by his source and felt therefore compelled to reveal his source for having damaged his “reputation.”

But now it appears Breitbart is saying, “Beck and I sat down with the original tape from the start and knowingly cut it up to make Sherrod look bad and then I aired it.”

What he says here is that he is angry at Beck for then airing the original and “leaving him hanging out to dry.” Knowing the two of them, I could easily see this happening….both conspiring and then Beck airing the original and getting rare “props” from the liberal blogosphere, at least in this case, for getting at the truth.

But bottom line, Breitbart seems to be admitting that he set out, with malice aforethought to chop up the original Sherrod talk in a way which he had to know would be a complete whack job on what she really said.

Yes….Andrew DOES have a court case facing him. Sherrod is suing, and I am wondering if this statement is going to come back to haunt him.

1. JohnJay86 says:

Yes, very good point, he was earlier saying he received the video in its edited form and didn’t realize … now he admits to creating a false impression on purpose and is disappointed his partner turned against him … wow!

“At the core of liberalism is the spoiled child – miserable, as all spoiled children are, unsatisfied, demanding, ill disciplined, despotic, and useless. Liberalism is the philosophy of sniveling brats.”
    – P.J. O’Rourke; author, journalist, writer for the Weekly Standard

1. JohnJay60 says:

What evidence does O’Rourke produce, statistically, to justify this? I could insert the word Conservativism into this sentence and it would apply to the right-wing whiners like Breibart and Trump, where it is always someone else’s fault that they’re not richer or more famous.

11. Bandafrog says:

So Brietbart and Beck committed fraud and now Breitbart is complaining because Beck reneged. Well, there’s just no honor among criminally dishonest a**h*les, is there?

12. Fearghoul says:

Breitbart is a fucking idiot. People like him should go live in Iran where his worthless racist ultra conservative views are more accepted.

13. Kweb56 says:

Nothing sadder than an angry clown. LOL

14. Louise C says:

This no-talent liar is complaining/angry about another no-talent liar who conspired with him to create and spread a lie about a woman who then lost her job (for no reason), and about not having any more assistance in perpetuating lies? The bus wasn’t good enough for him–he needs a trash compactor.