Dov Hikind Explains His Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage, and Lady Gaga [Video]

hikind gaga Dov Hikind Explains His Opposition to Same Sex Marriage, and Lady Gaga [Video]

Assemblyman Dov Hikind invoked Lady Gaga to explain his opposition to same-sex marriage.

Before the Assembly passed same-sex marriage by its narrowest margin ever yesterday, a number of elected officials gave speeches to explain their position.

Among the more memorable was this one from Dov Hikind, a Democrat from Brooklyn.

He mocked Lady Gaga for her advocacy, dismissed the economic argument for supporting the issue, and spoke at length about his religious beliefs.

“Maybe we take the Torah, God forbid, and throw it in the garbage.” and “if you want to tell God ‘You don’t know what you’re talking about, you got it all wrong,’ do it.”

Later, he got sarcastic.

“When Lady Gaga got involved and told us we should support gay marriage,” Hikind, mockingly, said he almost changed his mind about the issue. Holding a picture of her,  he said, “she is my example of how I should lead my life and how I should behave.”

Towards the end, Hikind attacked the logic of supporting the bill based on polls.

“I don’t remember anyone showing me a poll i 2009, anyone circulating polls to me to tell me why I should be for or against gay marriage, because those polls showed that most New Yorkers were ageist gay marriage,” he said.

Comments

  1. Guest says:

    Does this man actually have the audacity to bring a religious book into a government debate and use that religious book as the reason to deny fellow citizens civil equality.

    I can’t believe my eyes.  I really can’t.

  2. unclemike says:

    Keep your Torah in your synagogue, and the Constitution in the Senate. Thanks!

  3. unclemike says:

    Keep your Torah in your synagogue, and the Constitution in the Senate. Thanks!

  4. Rebecca Gardner says:

    Mr. Hikind, you took an oath to uphold and defend the constitution.  There is absolutely no place for religion, any religion, in the government so keep your book of fables at home and bring in a copy of the constitution next time.

    1. Anonymous says:

      I sent him this —-    Excuse me sir..But WHEN You TOOK the OATH of Office..you SWORE to UPHOLD the CONSTITUTION, you didn’t place your hand on the Constitution and swear to Uphold your Torah! …..either be a Representatative for all the people or RESIGN!

  5. David_in_Houston says:

    No one is forcing his synagogue to marry gay couples. Secular “civil” marriage has nothing to do with his Torah or the Bible. Non-religious straight couples get married in our country every single day at their city courthouse. So, in essence, religious arguments against marriage equality simply don’t hold any weight. Otherwise, the same arguments could be used against non-religious straight couples.

    You know why only 16% said that marriage equality is important to them? Because the other 84% know that it is a non-issue that doesn’t effect their lives at all. So why would something that doesn’t effect them personally be important to them?

    I’d really like Mr. Hikiind to explain how his marriage will be “redefined” if gay couples can also marry. Will his marriage not mean the same thing anymore because two men that live 5 blocks away make a legal commitment to one another? Mr. Hiklind is guilty of specious reasoning. Straight marriage will be exactly the same as it was before. Expanding the “right to marry” to more people does not change marriage for those that already have that right. When interracial marriage was forced upon the country (by the Supreme Court) 50 years ago, it did not change marriage for couples of the same race.

    He keeps saying, “Don’t let politics get in the way.” But in reality, he should be saying, “Don’t let religion get in the way.” His personal “chosen” religious beliefs should not be determining secular civil laws in our country; and in our country, marriage is a secular institution — the state provides the marriage license, not the church. A church ceremony is optional. You are not required to be religious in order to get married in the United States. This seems to be a small detail that Mr. Hiklind conveniently forgot.

  6. Anonymous says:

    Yes, please Mr. Hikind.  Throw that moldy old 4000 year old book of fairy tales and restrictions for sheep fuckers in the garbage.  Then toss in the Quran and the buybull for good measure.  These old books are past their expiration dates.  As for a substitute, how about looking at the damn State and US Constitution for a little inspiration on how we live in a f*King secular Republic, asshole.

  7. Louis says:

    Remember that this is a man that has stated publicly that when he finishes his time in the legislature he will leave the United States and move to Israel.   He thinks so little of the United States he will milk  us dry then leave?

    Let him vote on this in Israel.  Not the United States.