Fever Pitch! New Yorkers Go Starry-Eyed for Start-Ups

The latest must-have for trendy New Yorkers: a start-up of one's own.

“I can’t tell you the whole idea.” The Internet entrepreneur on the other end of the phone sounded panicky. “It’s going to sound ludicrous and ambitious, more ludicrous and ambitious than most.”

The voice belonged to a 27-year-old Stanford law student—“just about the oldest you can be where I cannot remember not having a computer”—who was in New York last week to talk to people about his new concept for a website.

He gave a few vague descriptors that could apply to half the start-ups in New York.

“I definitely don’t want it in the newspaper,” he said. “I’m worried that even little sign posts toward what I want to build are dangerous.” Read More

Comments

1. Steve says:

That rooftop event (“Startup One Stop”) was utterly vile and depressing — the whole red-tag / blue-tag thing was a bust, since there was nobody with a red tag but me, and I wasn’t there to be recruited. (Also: no shade, no ice, and the drinks had been left in the sun — a trifecta of incompetence).

There’s a lot to like about the NYC startup scene, including the chance to make some serious money coming out of the recession, but cheap exploiters like that are not a part of it.  There’s plenty of honest, sincere folks trying to connect startups and talent, it’s one of the ways NYC is preferable to Silicon Valley; so if the scammers can be counted on to execute as badly as that Chelsea event, we should be OK.

nice article

3. Sceptic says:

Someone say bubble?

4. Howie says:

This guy sounds like every other former business/law student wannabe tech entrepreneur I’ve ever met. Good luck finding engineers who will sign on to your scheme that you won’t tell them anything about until they sign an NDA.

1. SeamlessWeb was created by a lawyer (Jason Finger) who did pretty well…

1. Betabeat says:

I don’t understand why SeamlessWeb didn’t IPO. And it’s just plain Seamless now. Seamless. $SMLS.

5. langer says:

This is super good! Except for the whole part where LawyerBro says he’s 27 and “the oldest you can be where [you] cannot remember not having a computer” because, I mean, (not hatin’! just sayin’!) I’m 31 and I can’t remember ever not having a computer, because, you know, I was writing BASIC on a Commodore64 in like 1985, but whatever! Nice blue name tag bro! Now get out there and find yourself a technical co-founder!

langer’s comments on betabeat posts are my favorite comments.

1. We want him to write for us but he’s too cool.

technical co-writer!

2. LawyerDude says:

You’re right, but that’s not what I actually said – though I may still be wrong. I said that I think 1986-88 was when home computers became the norm in a lot of communities (with households with enough money to afford them back in those days). Home computers obviously existed before then.
      The rest of the article makes me sound a bit crazier than I am. I was trying to compare the law firm route (which is high earning and extremely predictable as long as you keep your head down) to the emotional and unpredictable world of startups where you want to keep pushing yourself into uncomfortable territory. And I’ll talk to anyone who will listen about what I want to build (because I’m passionate about it and I think it addresses a real need – it would for me) but I don’t necessarily want it in an article. I don’t think that’s unreasonable.
      I understand people being frustrated with the sound of lawyers and b-schoolers jumping into the start-up world, but try to not to paint with a broad brush. This reminds me of those NYT articles about how everyone is making their own kombucha now or describing some other fad. There is some truth to it – but I can tell you that there are maybe only a couple other Stanford students exploring a similar path. I’ve done tech and start-ups before, though in different contexts. I know what I’m getting into. And I know what I’d be willing to walk away from to do this – a $175k/yr job. That’s passion and interest, not greed.

1. langer says:

“Trend pieces” were the words you were looking for there, I think, and you know I’d almost consider pitching one to the Observer on “aspiring entrepreneurs quitting cushy six-figure jobs to start businesses that are going to change the world and have huge positive exits and make their founders multi-millionaires but they want to make it absolutely clear that they’re only doing it out of passion and in no way are they motivated by greed,” but I’m pretty sure if that were written the Earth would be knocked off its axis by the gravitational pull of so many people rolling their eyes at once.

2. LawyerDude says:

I wasn’t trying to pick a fight and I apologize for coming off a bit more combative that I would have liked. I get your point. And I won’t argue that there are a lot self-important outside-of-tech people out there with half-thought out ideas (like mashing two different existing products together) who just see dollar signs and want a programmer monkey to do their bidding while they “network.” And maybe that’s what I am – but you don’t really know me well enough to judge. In any case, there are a lot of good people out there too, who are smart and passionate and there is a place for people with business and legal analytic skills in the start-up world.
        I’d like to point out that there’s a big difference between people who make the leap straight out of school (with six figures of debt) and those who do it after spending several years in their cushy jobs (with six figures in the bank). At least from where I’m standing, it’s much much scarier to do the former. And I’m doing this not to “change the world” but to solve a need for myself and I find designing the solution interesting and challenging.
        I wasn’t trying to totally discount the article as a “trend piece.” (though that is the term) Just saying, take it with a grain of salt. There are probably more people from all walks of like interested in the game right now – especially in New York – but it’s not a stampede. And I guess don’t go to co-founder meetups. But what engineer would go to one of those? They sound terrible.

3. Betabeat says:

I got several emails in response to this piece from entrepreneurs, technical and non-technical, who are much further along in their start-ups and said they had basically/exactly LawyerDude’s experience with mania in the beginning. I was like, hey! You should leave a comment! But people are lazy and weird.

-Adrianne

4. LawyerDude says:

Well, if you aren’t in the practice of commenting, it’s a bit strange. I don’t usually comment on blogs and it’s a different little world down here at the bottom of the page. Langer is clearly an established commenter here and I certainly didn’t intend to get provoke any ill will from him or anyone else. I just felt a bit defensive from all the negative comments (not from Langer, but in general) about the phenomena.

I’m fully aware of the cliche of what I’m doing – which doesn’t exactly feel good. But I’ve also been in that uncomfortable boat before. I hope that I’m more than just a law student hypnotized by the start-up scene. I hope I’m trying to build something that feels important to me. I also think it’s unfair to paint all these new entrants (as some commenters have) as greedy idiots that just want in on the game to get rich quick. A lot of good start-ups have come out of law schools and business schools, and for those of us looking to pivot before we’ve made any money, the risks are real and substantial.

As to the mania – yeah. That was weird. Productive but I don’t want to go through that ever again. But it was also a consequence of finding something that felt urgent and important.

6. Jimoh A says:

Sigh. When will people learn? Ideas are ten a penny — all that matters is execution. Speed of execution, and quality of execution. So while the manic “I can’t tell you the whole idea” dude in the first few paragraphs of this article is busy claiming  paranoia is a symptom of startup fever, two or three NYU kids unbeknownst to him are already building out his idea, and it will probably turn out to be better than his.

Like the man said in GLENGARRY GLEN ROSS, “Coffee is for closers.” Stop looking to be in BetaBeat, can your paranoia, and go and build your prototype already.