Metropolitan Museum of Art Shatters Annual Attendance Record

metropolitan museum of art entrance nyc Metropolitan Museum of Art Shatters Annual Attendance Record

The Metropolitan Museum of Art recently raised its suggest ticket price for an adult from $20 to $25.

While the Metropolitan Museum of Art’s recent decision to raise its suggested ticket prices sparked a debate about the public’s access to museums, the Met certainly seems to have no shortage of demand. Met administrators announced today that, during the fiscal year ending on June 30, 5.68 million had visited the museum, which is the largest total in 40 years and a 400,000-person increase over last year’s number.

Met director Thomas P. Campbell said in a statement that the attendance was particularly remarkable given the “ongoing fiscal challenges faced by both the museum and the public.” Indeed, the most popular exhibition, “Picasso in the Metropolitan Museum” (which drew 703,000 visitors), was seen by many critics as a product of that chastened environment, comprised solely of works from the museum’s collection.

The Met’s current retrospective of the late fashion designer Alexander McQueen has also been a major draw, welcoming more than 500,000 visitors since its May 4 opening. The exhibition runs through Aug. 7, and the Met has announced it will extend viewing hours for the show during its final four days.

The Met’s 5.68-million-person figure puts it in third place in terms of international museum attendance, Hyperallergic magazine notes. Only the Louvre and the British Museum–with 8.5 million and 5.84 million guests in 2010, respectively–currently have higher visitor numbers on their books.

 

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President