City Councilwoman Gale Brewer announced today that she’s managed to secure nearly $16 million in the city budget for construction and renovation projects in her district in the UWS, which encompasses several major cultural institutions.
One of the bigger efforts included in the package is a $3 million bid to repair the roof at the American Museum of Natural History, DNAinfo reports. Other stand-outs can be found below:
- $5 million for the New York Public Library Research Libraries
- $400,000 for a disabled-accessible entry at the Riverside Branch library, on Amsterdam Avenue at West 65 Street
- $920,000 for John Jay College to upgrade aging technology infrastructure
- $445,000 to upgrade stage equipment at the Metropolitan Opera
- $400,000 to complete a renovation of Dante Square Park
- $300,000 for a new education media center at the New York Historical Society
- $500,000 for a smoke purge system at the New York Historical Society
Smoke purge systems for the Historical Society? Sounds like those might have been useful during the Grateful Dead exhibit last year. Hey-o!