Tweet Relief: Twitter Addicts Get Their 140 Fix

Diana Adams dreams in tweets. One hundred and forty characters at a time, the Atlanta-based computer consultant’s subconscious bubbles up. “Sometimes I am literally sending someone a message on Twitter and sometimes the ideas just kind of come out that way,” she told Betabeat recently.

On most nights Ms. Adams wakes up two or three times to check her Twitter stream and reply to @ messages from her nearly 50,000 followers. “I sleep with my phone under my pillow,” she confessed. “But if you think that’s bad, you don’t know any real Twitterholics.”

Living among media-obsessed New Yorkers, including some who employ two computers, one for work and one for TweetDeck, Betabeat assured her we did know a little something about the siren song of the micro-messaging service. “If I’m away from Twitter for more than an hour or two, I get nervous and break into a sweat,” she countered. O.K., we admitted, you win. Read More

Comments

1. “So if someone is talking to me for more than a minute, I just stop paying attention.”

This has been true of many high power executives with whom I’ve interacted.  I could have used a little more practice  at being succinct before joining Corporate America; perhaps Twitter can actually help today’s youth.

Just so long as it doesn’t destroy the English language.  OMG – itd b #crzybad.  lol!

2. Bonee says:

Twitter remains a means of advertising for businesses and an outlet for self-involved ego-centric attention whores. Period.

1. Ben Popper says:

Remains? It certainly didn’t start out as platform for brands to advertise…

2. Adventure Girl says:

Dear Bonee,

Do you know @d459c43bfdf665e033d09df73959b8fc:disqus   @invisiblepeople he shares stories about people on the street- not drug addicts – people like you and me who have fallen on hard times due to the recession.

Do you know- @kanter She’s a phenominal activist for many charities. You see Brandon- Twitter is for communicating and sharing- not just for business and celebredum. So before you bash the service, why don’t you try it- reach out to what interests you and connect to learn something about our world and the people in it.I can promise you… you’ll learn a lot and when you realize the power of using it to help people- you’ll get it.@adventuregirl on Twitter

3. Jmailgreve says:

zo dan….kom ik eindelijk van het roken af…!!!  haha super tweet… twitteraccount : 4EverInShape

4. If there is a cure for this addiction…I dont want it :)

Great post. Diana Adams is a Twitter legend! love her, love her style.
    I always look forward to what she has to tweet and post in Bit rebels! Its the GOOD stuff!

5. Reminds me of that say that if you gotta go, it’s a good way to go. (Will that fit 140 chs.?)

6. Iggypin says:

Great post and thank you for profiling the wonderful Diana Adams. In my view, the reason Diana uses twitter in the way she does is that she’s a super connector. She enjoys and thrives on connecting people to information, ideas and experiences.

She’s a leader amongst a generation of people who love to connect. I know this and even wrote a book about it called Connection Generation!

Thanks again for profiling her and her work.

Cheers, Iggy
    @iggypintado
    @ConnectGen

7. Diana Adams says:

Thank you so much for including me in your post Ben. From the moment you called me a few weeks ago all the way up till today when this published, it’s been so much fun. :) We all know that as fast as social media is evolving, there is just a small fragment of time when Twitter is going to be such a big part of our lives. I’m so grateful to be experiencing it as it’s all happening, right now.

Thank you to all my Twitter friends who have commented, retweeted and read this post. Twitter addiction is very real, but it’s for a good reason. The friends we make on Twitter are very real. There is no such thing anymore as “real life” and “online life.” Whether you are ready to accept it or not, it’s ALL “real life.”

Keep rockin!!! Love ya’ll!!! I’ll see you in the Twitterverse. =)))