Even Mark Zuckerberg Gets Annoyed With Spammy Facebook Apps, Does Not Think Dave Morin is ‘Chill’

Downside of having a technology company once completely beloved but now that everyone’s more than ready to delete their account from? Watching it grow large enough to actually find yourself surprisingly irritated with some of its components at times. Welcome to Mark Zuckerberg’s life, or at least fifteen minutes of it.

Thanks to a tipster who sent in the following screengrab late last night, now we know: even Mark Zuckerberg can find himself being annoyed by Facebook’s excessively invasive, extraordinarily stupid apps at times. In this case, one of his “friends,” early Facebook employee and co-inventor of Facebook Platform—the reason all these Facebook apps exist, now—Dave Morin installed an app hilariously called “Chill” on his Facebook. Chill ostensibly has something to do with watching videos with other people, but as is the case with any other Facebook app, who knows? As such, when it installs, it uses your status and sockpuppets words from you for the app. Like so:

zuck annoyed e1313074656588 Even Mark Zuckerberg Gets Annoyed With Spammy Facebook Apps, Does Not Think Dave Morin is Chill

If he didn’t before, know he knows how we all feel. Remember the good old days when apps weren’t allowed to treat you like that demon did Linda Blair/we used to work together before an Oscar-winning screenplay was based on what a bad friend you are?

Also, to anybody who’s installed Mafia Wars or any Facebook app, really, you too should be given some draconian social punishment for inflicting the endlessly stupid messages coming through our Newsfeed. Casual poll: Does anybody over the age of 13 actually use these things? Either way, we couldn’t check Chill because we don’t have an invite, but if anyone who does wants to let us know if Zuck has been ‘chill’ over this or if he shut down the app’s ability to let everyone know how much you want to (use) Chill, please give us a shout.

UPDATE: Chill apologized to Facebook and its users, and apparently talked it out with Mr. Zuckerberg, too.

fkamer@observer.com | @weareyourfek

Comments

1. I got in yesterday morning. Chill is awesome.

1. Foster Kamer says:

Is it awesome, or awesomely chill? This is, of course, in the name of reporting.

1. Haha – it can be whatever you want. From the “I want my MTV” room you can take turns sharing music videos to the room with people sharing extreme sports videos it’s pretty cool. You can make it awesome annnndd awesomely chill.

2. You know what’s awesome: a billion apps.

No, no it’s not.

I paid $23.89 for an i Pad 2 32-GB and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic

Lumiix GF 1 Camera that we got for $ 38.43 there arriving tomorrow by UPS.

I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially

when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $ 638 which only cost me $

61.77 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it al from,

4. It’s ironic that you used the “make readers believe there’s interpersonal conflict between famous people when there’s actually not” headline writing app to go along with this story.

1. Glad you liked our pun Marshall. Believe it or not we wrote this headline without the help of a computer program. Our hearts pump SEO juice.

I’ve never been to this site before, but after reading this comment, I’ll never come back. I hate yellow journalism, link bait, bullshit, or whatever you want to call it.

2. Alex says:

Wow. Seriously Ben? Every online “publication” is nothing but a content farm these days. Back to the newspapers I go.

Awesome, Chill, not so, and of course, lame.
    I am oldish, so I am allowed to talk like that, and I guess Mark Zuckerberg and friends are also, however it emphasizes exactly how well they did in showing how these guys talk in the movie The Social Network. For some of us, the 80’s will never die!

I found Mafia Wars an interesting diversion before changes were made so that the whole thing became about recruiting other members rather than playing the game.

It turned into Mormonism.

7. paramendra says:

Enjoyed the screen shot.

1. I just paid $24,97 for an iPad2 and my girlfriend loves her Panasonic Lumix GF 1 Camera that we got for $37,74 there arriving tomorrow by UPS. I will never pay such expensive retail prices in stores again. Especially when I also sold a 40 inch LED TV to my boss for $675 which only cost me $71,32 to buy. Here is the website we use to get it all from, MetaCent.com

lol, thats just too funny dude. Seriously.

9. Pretty lame that people get so pissed about it all when you  can block the apps. with a click of the mouse.

10. Scramble says:

lol, join twitter if you want to actually curate your own “newsfeed”

11. Zynga and Facebook have created a very successful game – Mafia wars