New Yorker Television Critic Nancy Franklin Taking a Break from Writing

jersey New Yorker Television Critic Nancy Franklin Taking a Break from Writing

(from The New Yorker)

Nancy Franklin announced that she is stepping down from her position as New Yorker television critic on Twitter today.

“I’ve been a critic for 18 years, and a TV critic for 13 of them. That’s a lot of sitting alone indoors playing with one’s equipment,” Ms. Franklin wrote the Observer in an e-mail.

“I wanted to get out of the routine of writing a regular column and to get away from writing itself, at least for a while. It’s a good move,and I’m just stupid enough not to be worried that I don’t know what I’m going to do next,” she added.

Despite the bittersweet tone, New Yorker editor David Remnick is confident she’ll be back.

“I fully expect she’ll be back, but not about television,” Mr. Remnick, a television fan himself, told the Observer. “There is no law that says once you’re a television critic you must be one forever.”

As for who will take over the On Television column, he had fewer expectations.

“We’ll look around,” he said. “Who knows? I’m doing what you do. I’m reading.”

Ms. Franklin will do two more columns, he added. (Please, Ms. Franklin, do New Girl!)

She joined the New Yorker typing pool in 1978 and over the next decade climbed the ranks to nonfiction editor. She became a theater critic under Tina Brown and has been television critic since 1998.

Comments

1. NancyFranklin says:

Actually, I became an editor under William Shawn. And I didn’t just “survive” the Tina Brown era as a theatre critic—Tina’s the one who made me a theatre critic. Well, first she fired my ass as an editor—that was not fun, let me tell you—and then she made me a theatre critic.

1. Kat Stoeffel says:

Thanks, correction appended. I meant it about New Girl!

1. NancyFranklin says:

Oh, no, Kat, I introduced an error into the proceedings. Tina never fired me from the staff—and, as a consequence of never firing me, never rehired me. The move was done in one swoop: I was taken off my editing post and offered the theatre post. Did I have a choice about not being an editor anymore? No. That’s why I said I was fired “as an editor.” It would be more accurate to say that I was moved, except when it comes to how it felt at the time.  I was being more frank than I needed to be as a tribute to Tina, who I think would appreciate my rude truthiness.

Tina made me a writer. So, as usual, one way or another, everything is Tina’s fault.

2. NancyFranklin says:

I apologize to Kat and to Observer readers for becoming a nuisance—one of those People Who Comment Too Much.

>tap tap<  Is this thing on?

3. Nancy, whether your columns are about theater or TV, they are great fun to read.

2. NancyFranklin says:

P.S. It’s William Shawn, not Wallace Shawn!

2. Kgilmore says:

Well I am behind in reading my New Yorkers – so just figured this out – but I don’t even watch TV and I always read Nancy Franklin – please do come back – you’ll be missed!

I’ve only just figured out that Nancy is truly gone from the New Yorker’s pages, and not just on hiatus. I do hope she’ll return – maybe alternating with the new critic? It’s not easy finding a TV critic whose judgments I trust! (and whose writing I enjoy).

4. Tracy Warren says:

I miss Nancy Franklin. And I don’t even watch television.