The First Lady of New York City: An Interview with Diana Taylor

img 8780 grid cmyk The First Lady of New York City: An Interview with Diana Taylor

(Nikola Tamindzic)

And then there was a glimmer of what Diana Taylor, Freshman Senator might be like. “I think it’s a problem throughout the system,” she said, gearing up her delivery. “I think it’s a problem with Congress. I think it’s a problem with the ratings agencies. I think it’s a problem with the banks. I think it’s a problem with the population at large.  Everybody’s going like this” she threw her hands up in the air. “And at the end of the day, everybody’s responsible in some way or another.”

As for what Ms. Taylor is responsible for, she still wants to tackle public health. She’s on the board of the Mailman School at Columbia and said her studies there had informed her thinking on things like microfinance “and what people actually need to survive and make their lives better.”

It’s still easy to imagine her getting involved in some tangential way, though—maybe even with her former boss, ex-governor George Pataki, who’s reportedly mulling a presidential campaign.

“Yeah, I don’t think that he’s going to run,” she said. “He’s an absolutely great guy, and if he decides to do it, I wish him the best. But I think there’s a pretty large field right now.” And there was the primary problem again. “You’re never going to get through a republican primary if you’re pro-gun control, pro-choice. He is a lot more liberal than run of the mill”.

Ms. Taylor self-identifies as a Republican, but is socially liberal herself, though fiscally conservative—a libertarian lite, perhaps.  “I’m socially very liberal. I don’t understand why anybody cares who marries who. I think that guns should not be in the hands of criminals, and I’m rabidly-pro-choice. It’s nobody else’s business, and I’m fiscally quite conservative.” She says she may have inherited this from her family. “My mother has a bumper sticker on the back of her car that says ‘pro-family, pro-child, pro-choice.’”

So we were curious: where might she clash with the Mayor, whose politics occasionally differed. She shook her head, determinedly: “Not going there!”

editorial@observer.com

This story appeared in the October issue of NYO Magazine.

Comments

1. I like her simple clothes. Not for me, but for her are perfect!

2. Rhodapenmark says:

So what’s the news peg here?  Diana Taylor got a facelift?  Diana Taylor shares her deep thoughts?  Despite disclaimers, she’s back to contemplating future role as Caligula’s horse?

3. Susie Madrak says:

Oh, poor, poor banks! They really WANT to lend the money, they really do! It’s just that… the “UNCERTAINTY” (registered trademark, Securities Industry Association and affiliated organizations) is just too much to bear! Dodd-Frank has, like, 400 things to be done! How dare they get into the middle of our profits with that democracy thing?

As opposed to the people who lost their jobs, savings and homes because of mortgage securities fraud, you mean, Diane? My heart bleeds for those poor bankers.

What a jerk.

5. V. Adams says:

I cannot believe this woman graduated from Dartmouth. A vast array off brilliant thinkers have graduated from that university. Ms. Taylor sounds shallow, misinformed, and completely ignorant to matters of this city and especially  this country.  This is the worst interview regarding a public figure’s significant other. The sad thing is I am not shocked, learning about  her boyfriend’s origins to his present position. They sound like they are meant for each other.

6. Deaf Ears says:

What a vile woman.  I’m glad she never spawned, at least.

7. Sexy Dresses says:

They announced that they would donate their raw reads to the public.
    This public relations effort gave them some recognition for sequencing
    the cotton genome. Once the D genome is assembled from all of this raw
    material, it will undoubtedly assist in the assembly of the AD genomes
    of cultivated varieties of cotton, but a lot of hard work remains.

8. Print gave a broader range of readers access to knowledge and enabled
    later generations to build on the intellectual achievements of earlier
    ones. Print, according to Acton in his lecture On the Study of History (1895), gave “assurance that the work of the Renaissance
    would last, that what was written would be accessible to all, that such
    an occultation of knowledge and ideas as had depressed the Middle Ages would never recur, that not an idea would be lost”.

9. The cotton industry relies heavily on chemicals, such as herbicides, fertilizers and insecticides, although a very small number of farmers are moving toward an organic model of production, and organic cotton products are now available for purchase at limited locations.

10. free ebooks says:

When a book is printed the pages are laid out on the plate so that after
    the printed sheet is folded the pages will be in the correct sequence.
    Books tend to be manufactured nowadays in a few standard sizes. The sizes of books are usually specified as “trim size”: the size of the page after the sheet has been folded and trimmed.