Update: Occupy Wall Street Responds to Bloomberg’s Cleaning ‘Eviction Notice’

129042732 Update: Occupy Wall Street Responds to Bloombergs Cleaning Eviction Notice

"Don't tread on me," Occupy Wall Street has no plans of vacating for city clean-up

Update: Check bottom of post for Occupy Wall Street’s official response, which involves a 6:00 a.m. “non-violent eviction defense.”

After being told that they would have to “temporarily” vacate Zuccotti Park for sanitation reasons by Mayor Bloomberg, Occupy Wall Street responded to what one member is calling “an eviction notice.”

According to one of OWS’ Media team, a young man named Luke, there is “no way” that the protesters can comply with all the outlines set in Brookfield’s letter to the city, since OWS has been expressly forbidden from emptying the parks trash receptacles themselves; that the “cleaning” would include the removal of all tarps and sleeping bags, which the residents have been using to spend the night in the parks.
Brookfield’s Letter to NYPD asking to “clear” Zuccotti Park of Occupy Wall Street protesters

In reaction, Occupy Wall Street has planned to clean the park up in their own, which they announced on Twitter:
occupy1 Update: Occupy Wall Street Responds to Bloombergs Cleaning Eviction Notice

Much like Bloomberg’s plan, Luke told us by phone that members of OWS will be cleaning up the park in phases. They will also be going down to Wall Street, to clean up “where the real mess is,” referring (obviously) not to the protesters’ own leavings. The fear is that if all the protesters vacate en mass, they will not be allowed back into the park once it is “cleaned.”

“We will redouble our efforts to clean up the park, but what is outlined in (Brookfield’s) memo is tantamount to banning us from the park,” Luke said.

Currently OWS is asking for donations of brooms, mops, buckets, etc., all to be shipped to their Zuccotti Park location, which one could argue is part of the problem that Brookfield has with the protesters occupation.

As for how Mayor Bloomberg reacted when meeting the protesters last night, Luke said that he only saw him from afar, but “knows that he was treated respectfully…if not warmly.”

Update: This email call to arms has just been sent out by members of Occupy Wall Street.

Tell Bloomberg: Don’t Foreclose the Occupation.
Join us at 6AM FRIDAY for non-violent eviction defense.

Please take a minute to read this, and please take action and spread
the word far and wide.

Occupy Wall Street is gaining momentum, with occupation actions now
happening in cities across the country.

But last night Mayor Bloomberg and the NYPD notified Occupy Wall
Street participants about plans to “clean the park”—the site of the
Wall Street protests—tomorrow starting at 7am. “Cleaning” was used as
a pretext to shut down “Bloombergville” a few months back, and to shut
down peaceful occupations elsewhere.

Bloomberg says that the park will be open for public usage following
the cleaning, but with a notable caveat: Occupy Wall Street
participants must follow the “rules”. These rules include, “no tarps
or sleeping bags” and “no lying down.”

So, seems likely that this is their attempt to shut down #OWS for good.
PLEASE TAKE ACTION:

1) Call 311 and tell Bloomberg to support our right to assemble and to
not interfere with #OWS. If you are calling from outside NY use this
number 212-NEW-YORK.

2) Come to #OWS on FRIDAY AT 6AM to defend the occupation from eviction.

Occupy Wall Street is committed to keeping the park clean and safe —
we even have a Sanitation Working Group whose purpose this is. We are
organizing major cleaning operations today and will do so regularly.

If Bloomberg truly cares about sanitation here he should support the
installation of portopans and dumpsters. #OWS allies have been working
to secure these things to support our efforts.

We know where the real dirt is: on Wall Street. Billionaire Bloomberg
is beholden to bankers.
We won’t allow Bloomberg and the NYPD to foreclose our occupation.
This is an occupation, not a permitted picnic.

Comments

1. Lots of little tricks and manipulations going on here. But the protesters should stand firm. Good job everyone. Keep Wall Street clean ;)

2. Philippos Marinakos says:

I’m not a liberal and I’m not a conservative.  I’m a dying breed of Constitutionalists.  Remember that piece of paper?  It seems that our governing bodies systematically try to dismantle or ignore it through law loopholes, tricky verbage, and dubious tactics.  It makes me wonder who these people we elect really represent.

Whether these people have a solid point or not…I do not know.

What I do know is that they have every right to assemble and voice there dismay.  They have a right to protest.

Shame on Bloomberg.

In my opinion they should return to the park and stand until they collapse.  If they collapse they should help each other stand back up.  They should lean on each other if necessary.  Protesting and being heard has never been a comfortable choice.  Don’t give up and don’t give in.

1. Photogeb says:

Their right to assemble and protest does not trump a private property owners rights to their property.

I have no problem with the protesters, in fact I cheer them on, but let’s remember one thing – they are not on public property. The decision about whether they can be there lies with the owner of the property. Even if the City were taking care of the park, it is under agreement with the owner. The OWS should be working with the property owner thereby taking the city out of the equation.

1. Ray McKinnon says:

I completely agree. I am a huge supporter of this movement. I did not know that they were occupying private property. I want people to be able to occupy public spaces and demand that their collective voices are heard. However, the property owner has every right to say, “Enough; you must go.”

2. BKPete says:

Hi, Photogeb. We must have been typing at the same time. As I understand it, the property owner gave up the right to say, “Enough; you must go,” by accepting a tax abatement. (If I am wrong, I am always happy to learn.) This makes the property more an extension of the sidewalk and less a “yard.”

3. Bobert says:

Actually, the right to assemble and protest does, in fact, trump private property rights when the private property in question is commonly used as a public amenity as Brookfield itself has admitted.  Brookfield did not create the plaza out of altruism, but rather created the plaza in exchange for significant allowances in building height restrictions from the City of New York.  In other words, they were required to build a PUBLIC plaza in order to build their building.  The real constitutional question we should be asking is why the protesters are not allowed to camp on Wall Street itself – a public street and a public right of way which is somehow off limits to our FIrst Amendment rights to freedom of speech – as if it is located in another country and not subject to the constitution.  But then again, it kind of embodies what the protesters are complaining about anyway, doesn’t it.

4. ming says:

These protesters do not have the right to block streets and sidewalks.  Have you ever seen how small and narrow wall street is?  Neither do they have the right to take over private property that is meant for everyone’s enjoyment.

5. Tony says:

I’m pretty sure they have the right to block streets and sidewalks. Sure they get in the way of others, but if the others had a protest, they wouldn’t want that right taken from them.

6. Ao4438a says:

Actually, even though I am totally in support of protesting…. It is against the law to block the streets and sidewalks without proper documentation. But if we make a big enough deal about it… It probably wont matter anyway!

7. Semi-Free Radical says:

Proper documentation? Seriously? Please, how can one say proper documentation and protest in the same sentence? This is about screwing the man, not asking permission to screw him! Block the streets and any other ways of passage. Starve the man of money flow and the man will fall…

8. Nick says:

I am going to assume that you are not being serious. If you are being serious, then your grasp of economics is only slightly less delusion then your knowledge of politics and law. In fact, what you remind me of is the Tea Party members of Congress whose understanding of economics led them to the brilliant conclusion that pushing the country to the brink of default was somehow in everyone’s best interest. In any case, if your only goal is to “screw the man” then your movement is of no interest to me. I thought this was supposed to be about making this a better country. Sorry for being harsh, but it is mindless garbage like that which you spewed above that gives protesting a bad name.

9. Kelley says:

and what taxpayers paid for those streets, and sidewalks and stop lights? Let’s all remember that the elected officials abandoned the Constitution long ago and only spout it when it fits their campaign needs. The infrastructure, ( infrastructure that badly needs reinvestment) was built and paid for by taxpayers. So as far as I am concerned, block the streets, block commerce until the corrupt Wall Street machine begins to listen to the people!!

10. Mh says:

First off, I’ll tell you which tax layers didnt pay for those streets, it’s the dead beats camped out in the park for the last 3 weeks.

Second, their right to assemble doesn’t supersede my right to get to work, those streets and that park are meant for public use and these imbeciles have hi-jacked it. Worse of all, they don’t even know what they’re protesting and the few that actually have some sort of semi-logical cause they can coherently express have nothing to contribute to the solution of such problems except harassing citizens of the city (which most of these protesters are not) and disturbing the peace.

11. Poneilly says:

Sounds like youve (Mh) been listening to Fox news, which didnt bother to cover this news for the first what -two weeks? I had to get this news from the BBC and other online sources. Fox news reports on behalf of the 1%. If i didnt have young children – id be right there protesting! Because i want my young children to have a future in America. Because i’m a middle class person who pays taxes! Because i’m bloodywell fed up of the crap we that we tolerate from the banks, and the way our food and water is poisoned with Monsatos GMOs, and fracking, im really angry about all this and disappointed. So small minded people who cant see, beyond their own existance, how the banks and big corporation and big agriculture has our future near ruined should please stay quiet because being quiet has us where we are today. Its time to protest.

12. whoa!  Stop the name calling….how many of the people you are calling “deadbeats” do you personally know?  What evidence do you have that they are deadbeats?  Do they owe you money and if so, are they refusing to pay or just unable to pay because those true Deadbeats who took taxpayer money (bankers, etc on wall street) find it more important to give their CEOs a huge bonus.  Do ;you want your hard earned money spent that way?   I don’t.  I am grateful to have a part time job to pay my bills not covered by social security check.  Those folks ows want jobs and fairness and honesty from   wall street whose dishonesty caused the current mess. Wall street could create jobs but fear they might not make millions…maybe just billions. Wanda Smith 3000 miles away on the other coast& proud to be a 99% er.

13. Jesse says:

and the Government that gave them that money, and is regulating small business out of competition  is in no way to blame. wall street is the wrong target. demand a return to a constitutionally regulated federal government.

14. Human Being38 says:

you suck.  go to hell

15. feistyredhead says:

So said the British in 1776 and more recently the Egyptian President Hosni Mubarak, Tunisian President Zine El Abidine Ben Ali, and Muammar Gaddafi

Honestly, in the end it doesn’t really matter if the people are fed up.

16. David says:

When we consider how monumental the cause is that these people are gathered for, I find it mind boggling that you and others are fretting over how hard it is to get around the streets, or issues like trespassing!!
        Can someone please grasp the fact that it is that complacency and narrow vision that is the very reason this had to happen in the first place.
        People just want to grab their little slice of the pie and hide away from the fact that we’ve been getting blatantly raped for years… and we’ve passively let it happen!!

I truly believe that the biggest government conspiracy of all, was them realizing after the 60′s, that most Americans want to just ignore, forget and be nice and cozy with the little things in life… the noisemakers will eventually be ignored, like you’re doing here!

17. Nick says:

David, just curious, if this cause is so monumental, why can’t any of it’s proponents explain what they would propose beyond populist street corner sound bites like “stopping corporate greed”and “taxing the rich”. This movement runs a serious risk of collapsing under its own inability to articulate any message. All of which would be a shame as they mean well and they are passionate.

18. David says:

Why do you, like so many other finger-pointers, have the need for such neat packaging and reasoning?
         This is an ever-growing, fragmented group of people (nationwide) that are drawing together to finally say too many things are wrong.Do you actually view the condition of this country as something that is pat and completely explainable? How can the fight for change possibly be?This isn’t a movie, or TV show, where all the answers are wrapped up neatly so we can walk away satisfied. This is reality… and your sound bite “corporate greed” is a very large part of that reality.Deadbeats? Imbeciles? Sound Bites? Trespassing? My God, it is this very short-sighted attitude that has helped to bring this on!!!How about Believers… Doers… Sacrificers… Movers and Shakers… People WHO CARE??!!

19. Nick says:

David – Thank you for making my point for me more clearly than I could have ever made it myself. The simple act of standing up and saying “me too” when the disaffected circus comes to town does not qualify someone as a mover, shaker, doer or sacrificer. It simply means that they are generically angry about their lot in life and would like to blame someone other than themselves for their problems. I get it, it is a fairly standard defense mechanism that starts with the realization that your life is kind of sub par, and the impossibility of believing that you might somehow be responsible for that situation. So it must be rich people and the profit motive that has left you where you are and you somehow have decided that if you “stop them”‘ that some how your life will be better. Are you condemning the entire capitalist structure or just the tax code? Are you advocating a fully socialist system with free medical treatment and education for all?

If you have mistaken me for someone looking for a Hollywood story line with simplistic solutions and a neat little lot, you have me very wrong. As I have stated previously, these people are passionate and mean well, but they are also clueless and have no ability to make progress because they have no tangible plans other than to sit in a park and vent their anger. Again, don’t get me wrong, I agree that much is wrong, but when someone stands up and starts demanding change I think they need to be ready to talk about what they want to change and how they believe that change will improve things. Standing up and saying “I am mad, so things have to change”, sounds like the immature raging of a young child.

In my business, which employs approximately 50 people, the “doers” / “movers and shakers”, are the people with the ideas that turn into plans that turn into actions and turn into profits for our investors and more jobs at the companies in which we invest. We create jobs, we save jobs, and we generate profits. As a group, we are also involved in a wide range of charitable organizations as donors, volunteers and organizers. Just in case you are wondering what kind of person you are speaking with, I am a 1%er, but I also believe in real change. However, the folks in Zucotti Square are not talking about real change, they are simply stating that we need change and then waiting for someone else to come along and figure out how to make that change happen. So, again, I ask, what is the plan, and if there is a plan, what would success look like?

20. Kevin P says:

The park in question was created because the builder had to build it for the public use to get zoning variations in Manhattan. It is a common practice. The park is for the public. Wall Street is not a narrow street. It is quite wide. In fact so is Broad Street hence the name.

21. anonymous says:

Property is theft. Everything is everyones. That is one of the points. There are haves and have nots. You care about the width of a street and not the injustice that is perpetrated in its name?

22. Freeonbailnyc says:

Well said.

23. Schrodinger The Kat says:

I believe that I support at least some of the directions in which many of the protesters would like to take this country.  But I do not support the so called “right” of these protesters to take over certain areas indefinitely. The fact that the public can use an area as an amenity does not mean that one group, which by the way does not represent 99% or even 0.01% of Americans generally, can unilaterally take away my right and the rights of many others to use that park. It is one thing to present one’s grievances, however inarticulately, for a certain amount of time. It is quite another to take over indefinitely. The same applies to the streets. I fully understand that a group may wish to block a street for a brief time in order to make a point. But it seems that the street has a purpose to serve the public generally and specific private groups cannot block it indefinitely.  The same would be true the National Rifle Association wanted to use a park or a street to hold a rally.

24. BKPete says:

Hi, I’m a New Yorker. What follows is not an opinion, but an attempt at interpretation by a non lawyer. Real Estate in New York is very complicated. If I understand correctly, the land is a Park in as far as it is open to the public without hindrance. How can that be? Because the owners of the land gave up their rights of exclusive use for a tax abatement. In other words, it is in an “in between” situation between private and public property. In effect, the tax abatement represents “potential” public money given up for the public use, “buying” the land. (Note: if a New York lawyer or other more informed person wishes to correct and contradict me, I am happy to learn.)

25. Butchgriggs2 says:

Someone needs to look at the plat…You need to read what the restrictions on the plat say.

However, as far I heard, the protesters were told they had to go to the park!

27. Judy says:

I’m not surprised there is no public property in America; haven’t the people, that the protests are about, already bought any land.

They’re trying to do the same in New Zealand with American corporates wanting to buy our state owned assets which all New Zealanders own.  The present New Zealand government is trying to sell it off to investors both domestically and internationally that can afford it;  I call that stealing.  They are only supposed to manage our assets not try to dispose of them; too much of that has happened already and we the people of New Zealand are the ones who lose.

I don’t want my country to be like America with its private ownership at all costs – the costs are the wellbeing of people, which is far too high a price to pay.

I am with the OWS people.  People are more important than greed.

2. ming says:

this property owner has the right to clean his property.  If they want to protest and not be disturbed, perhaps they should find their own space and have at it.  For all I care, they can stay there forever.

3. Ron W. Smith says:

I hope that was a retorical question?  You do know who they represent don’t you?

3. Denise says:

Do not use Syrian methods in America! Allow the protesters to protest!

1. esther says:

Denise, no one is taking machine guns and firing live rounds on people here. Get your facts straight.  The protesters aren’t protesting anymore – they have become bona-fide squatters and a public nuisance and are affecting the quality of life of the majority of downtown residents and workers.  These sloppy protesters are the squeegee men of the 1990s and it’s time they go.

1. Independent in CO says:

Esther, are you living there or at least been there? What have you witnessed that makes you say this?
        And, as a reminder, some of those protesters have been bludgeoned, thrown down, knocked around and pepper-sprayed. In a republic which claims to be a democracy, these actions against law-abiding citizens are the precursors to the machine guns and live rounds you mentioned. Take care to consider which side you really want to be on.

4. Rock The Reactors says:

Well I just hope it doesn’t degenerate into a blood bath of riot gear and tear gas…

5. Tkosiba says:

Protest is the right of U.S. citizens in a democracy.  How dare Mayor Bloomberg stifle that right, especially during a time when our current government officials seem to have little regard for those who are suffering the most in the economic distress brought on by the greedy!

6. Jmara says:

All of America is squirming Bloomberg, are you going to light the powder keg?

7. Rutnroy says:

What on earth is the matter with our elected officials in government?
    We now have a two party system that has become completely dysfunctional in managing our governments business. That consists of infrastructure development, energy independence, Fossil fuel legislation, Education, Businesses, industry and realistic Federal tax reform and the budget.
    Seemingly is no ability to negotiate issues that have direct impacts on the American public.
    The media overall is not addressing these issues and the dysfunctional congress in terms of  legislative action on vital issues of government  business.

A brief comment on being focused and targeted on developing sustainable environments for economic growth and Jobs:
    The following suggestions are not just commentary they are real solutions that address our economic problems.
    **********************************************************************
    How to begin Building the Economy and Jobs:
    Important Note:
    Our elected officials from the federal, state and local governments believe they and/or (their administrations) create Jobs.
    *Government never has and doesn’t create jobs. *Governments only create the environments that are conducive for economic and job growth.
    Nation wide small business are vital to our economy,  however  big companies are still the key to sustainable economic and job growth. Both create jobs.
    **********************************************************************
    These suggestions are on developing sustainable environments for economic growth and government’s responsibilities on issues like national energy independence, infrastructure, business financing guarantees, incentives, manufacturing jobs and value added processing jobs and what to do about out-sourced jobs.

About Government subsidies. Standards for Fossil Fuel, and Tax Reform,
    First, our government must stop subsidies to BIG OIL as soon as Possible.
    Second, we must have Fossil fuel legislation to impose federal standards for renewable energy resources.
    Third, * Develop a realistic tax reform bill for all Americans, all businesses and industries and end loop holes to assure everyone pays their fair share of tax.
    Sustainable environments for economic growth:
    We must have Job creative environments that are conducive to expanding existing business, industry and attracting new ones here in America.
    Our Economic Crisis is not over…The National debt is outrageously high and our budget process needs to be reformed.
    Our national economy has become very fragile because of these and other problems.
    We need Jobs for people that pay taxes and contribute to the over-all economic stability of the country and its debt.
    We must have the type of planning and implementation to make financing guarantees available for businesses with development of needed bank loans and or venture capital to create JOBS.   That includes environments of infrastructure, access to education and communications networks.
    Government at every level must coordinate primary responsibilities to develop and establish the total environment conducive to expanding existing business, industry and attracting new ones.
    Governments must establish infrastructure including high-tech communications networks with the latest fiber optic connections. High-tech communications networks must be superior technology not simply competitive with foreign communications-networks.
    Building Americas crumbling infrastructure should be done here in America, not in China or any other country. Our work force can and is able to do the total building  and rebuilding of the nations infrastructure here in America.
    About Education:
    We must return to being the best-educated country in the world.
    Our nation can no longer afford to be down the list of other countries in the education of its citizens.
    We must develop quality education from grade schools to our high schools, vocational technical institutions, colleges and universities   Government should offer special incentive programs for businesses and industries who participate in educational institutions mentoring programs for students.
    Manufacturing, Industrial and Business jobs sent to other countries:
    Government must be willing to mandate and assess a financial return (pay-back) on businesses and industries that out source and send manufacturing jobs and value added processing jobs to off shore countries.
    Additionally any incentives paid a company to establish or expand operations must agree to hire and train citizens to work here in our country. Failure to keep that agreement,  necessitates the company to repay all incentives to the government providing them. This should be done in every state.
    Should there be an absolute necessity to manufacture goods and services out of our country that company must be responsible to re-train the employees for other jobs and opportunities.
    The United States needs an Energy Policy
    The United States has known for decades that alternative energy resources are needed and no National Energy Policy has been developed. The following suggestions are not just commentary they are real solutions to the energy problems we face.
    About Standards for Fossil Fuel, Tax Reform, and Government subsidies.
    First, We must have Fossil fuel legislation to impose federal standards for renewable energy resources.
    Second.  Develop a realistic tax reform bill for all Americans, all businesses and industries and end loop holes to assure everyone pays their fair share of tax.
    Third, * Our government must stop subsidies to BIG OIL as soon as Possible.
    ABOUT  ENERGY:
    One assured way to energy independence:
    Government should require the following industries to work together to establish and become partners in the development of alternative energy resources through research, development and production of renewable energy resources.
    This necessitates a percentage of the industry profits to be allocated for this exclusive purpose. This will not require government financing of costs to establish and monitor the partnership and its progress because the partnership contributions will cover costs. Additionally government research programs on alternative energy resources will become part of the project.
    Petroleum, Natural Gas, Chemical and Battery mfg. Industries as well as automotive mfg.’s and electric Industries, utilities and Coal.
    This partnership must be a National mandatory partnership that requires these industries to contribute a portion of their huge Profits to be used exclusively for Research, development and production of alternative, re-newable energy sources.
    This must be a partnership with government oversight and review to assure timely target goals are reached.
    Short term solutions that focus on exploration and drilling for oil, gas and coal will not have the results as research, development and actual production of different alternative, renewable energy sources.
    Solar and Wind energy products and services should be developed and manufactured here in the USA not in other countries.
    Businesses and industries must pull together and work with elected officials to implement real solutions for a strong economy and quality jobs for our citizens.
    The public needs to be exposed to ideas and suggestions that are focused and targeted on developing sustainable environments for economic growth in the short and long term.
    Thank you for reading the above suggestions and feel free to print / publish in part or all of the above.
    Roy Taylor
    Saint Petersburg, Florida

BTW:
    ( Roy Taylor is a retired Economic Development Director for county governments in Maine and Florida. )

8. Mike1968 says:

Bloomberg doesn’t care about a petition. He is on the corporations side. Move to another park, occupy city hall, Occupy the big banks in Manhattan, stock broker offices. DON’T GIVE UP.

I’m a little bit confused. This is a PRIVATE park…and the owners have every right to do as they wish. Especially when it comes to public safety and cleanliness.  the protestors DO have the right to protest. They DO NOT have the right to infringe upon the rights of others or trespass on private property after the owners have been kind enough to let them use it.

Protestors do not get special privileges just because they have the right to protest.

10. Guy Fawkes says:

if they get evicted from zuccotti park they should take it on down to battery park. its a public park, plenty of benches and room for all, AND theres restrooms.

11. Mi4ideal says:

After reading Brookfield’s letter it appears to me that they, the owner’s of this property, are the ones requesting the city do something about OWS’s occupation.  While I wholeheartedly support what OWS is doing, they must either work out a win/win solution with Brookfield or move someplace else.  It does not seem to me that the mayor is “doing” this, he is merely the enforcer for what the property owner is wanting at this time.

12. this is a disgrace–What happened to the First Amendment–Syria  Iran-how different are we????

13. This is a disgrace.  1st Amendment where is it??? Syria Iran-Are we the same.

14. Selectsuper says:

The laws need to be upheld or credibility is lost.  If the current use of the park is unlawful then something needs to change.  Peaceful expression of first amendment rights does not preclude lawful assembly.

15. Marion Ambler says:

Watch out, next thing you know Mayor Doombird will be calling the USDA in to round you all up and take you to the gas chambers a la NYC’s  innocent resident Canada geese.  I see some distinct parallels here so don’t poop in the park you guys!

16. Heidi Olson says:

“Cleaning” and “damage” were the excuses used to evict occupying protesters from the capitol in Madison, WI this winter.    Then the capitol was closed to the public completely for several days in violation of the state constitution, after that numerous rules and security measures were put into place, effectively ending any form of protest beyond a daily gathering of protesters whose only “protest materials” were their voices.

As someone who works closely with public health, knows sanitation, and directly observed the systems that protesters put in place to properly maintain garbage removal, cleanliness, sanitation and also protect the historical interior of the building, the closure for “cleaning” and “damage” was completely unwarranted.  There were people with professional medical and sanitation experience involved in the protests, and the majority of damage caused to the interior was due to media outlets using improper tape on the marble floors.

Yes, the capitol did get stinky, but when you have several hundred to several thousand people in an inclosed marble building with poor ventilation in the middle of winter, smells happen.

17. Tallie says:

The only comment I have is that I am noticing more and more that the government seems to be using the potential threat of  terrorism to coerce citizens to submit to what is most convenient for them.

18. Marion Ambler says:

I live in Canada and our parks are owned by the federal or local government.  It doesn’t seem like a great idea to have private citizens buy up land to use as a public park.  This sounds like a  plan dreamed up by someone in the 1%.

19. Buck Naked says:

It’s “OUR” country too!

20. Was Bloomberg elected by Wall Street Guys or the Occupy Wall Street people? Seems to me the former.

What a sad state when the people you elect to represent you suddenly gives you a good kick in the nut in favor of his favored “fund raisers”.

21. Feh. says:

“Cleaning” and “damage” were both used as excuses to evict the occupying protesters from the state capitol in Madison, WI this winter.  On top of that access to the capitol was completely closed to the public, and many legislators, for several days in direct violation of the state constitution.  For weeks after that, access was limited via enhanced security measures and screenings.  The capitol building is now open, but due to new rules, people are limited from expressing themselves freely beyond raising their voices in protest while being filmed by the police.

As a person who works closely with public health, and has a fairly good understanding of proper sanitation, I directly observed the occupying protestors doing everything in their power to maintain a sanitary and safe environment. There were many medical and sanitation professionals involved in the protests, so their guidance was valuable in helping maintain a healthy environment.  There were no outbreaks of disease and many parents felt it was a safe environment to bring their small children into.  Cleaning staff were not prevented from doing their jobs, and were even assisted by the occupying protestors organized clean up teams.  What little damage that did happen to the interior of the building was mostly caused by the improper use of tape by media.

While I have not directly observed the situation in New York, except through news sources, I do know the same charges were hurled against us in Wisconsin.  We trashed the capitol, we defecated in the halls, there was sex, drug use and harassment…and on, and on, and on.  Yes, it may have appeared chaotic to the casual observer who isn’t familiar with how grassroots organization works.  Yes, after a few days of having several hundred to several thousand people in a closed marble building with poor ventilation in the middle of winter, it did start to smell funky. However, as I was directly involved in the protests, and spent many hours in the Capitol during the occupation, I can say with all certainty that those charges were completely false and have a hard time believing that the situation in an open park is so bad that it warrants massive “cleaning” and “repair” efforts.

22. Maybe the crooks would take US seriosuly if there were a little violence?God damn republicans t bagger child molesters have run this nation into the counrty, look at all that has happened form Vietnam until today and it’s a wonder we’re only $14.7 trillion in debt.Dirty scum, both parties are guilty in this two party fail, vote, fail vote cycle of scam.It’s about time we picked up where the stine hippies left off when they got US out o Vietnam, it took proetsts and riots then and the assholes have pulled the same shit all over again, more wars based on lies, and bush’s blue blood bullshit.

23. Butchgriggs2 says:

The plat is public info..The restrictions on the plat is all that matters.

24. Jody Blake says:

bloomberg… i know deep down inside your gut, u know whats right… so take a stand for once n stand on the right side of the cause… n i dont mean right as in right wing…

25. Net net net says:

If you are protesting doesn’t that mean you don’t follow rules?  I don’t get it. They tell you to move, don’t. They’re not going to be able to arrest everyone, the jails will be full, they let you out, go back again. This is a protest.  They are using the baloney laws that are being protested against as the reason to “clean” the park. What nonesense.

26. Alanyarnell says:

I support those who are “Occupying Wall Street” and the establishment should take notice… that the people won, in the end,  against the bougeois(sp) in France, and The People Will Win Here!!

27. Serenelymystical says:

How do I sign this pettion ?

28. Curt Sommer says:

“The greatness of America is the right to protest for a right”  MLK  STOP THE EVICTION!

29. esther says:

They should incinerate that place…its become a giant petri dish for the breeding of germs and vermin.  What was once a nice and serene oasis in downtown manhattan has come to resemble fresh kills in 1984! Perhaps its time for the non-occupiers to reclaim Zuccotti park and save it from the dark side.

1. Independent in CO says:

You must be a troll. As I said in reply to your earlier post, Take care to consider which side you really want to be on.

30. Mysharpei says:

fight back

I hate to say this, but it is the truth, the owners are legally within their rights here. I have tangled legally with property rights for over 40 years in several states and many cities and have plenty of hard won experience in this field. Because the park is privately owned, the owners can evict at any time based on almost any reason because we are talking about privately owned land. Actually they don’t even need a reason. There was no contract in place guaranteeing our rights as tenants. And although the owners graciously allowed the occupation to continue, they were never obliged to do so by law. The owners state that they have incurred damage and are prohibited from doing necessary maintenance to prevent more damage. All of their points in the letter are very valid and they are within their rights as property owners.
    I think the protesters should allow the cleaning to take place at the hour appointed, without malice, but meet with the owners at their office to discuss options beforehand, first thanking them very graciously for allowing the occupation on their property. Perhaps if they were met by our best foot forward, they will respond accordingly. Garbage and pestilence is always an issue and cannot be allowed to go on even one day because of city and county ordinances written to address these problems, most often occurring at unsupervised or abandoned properties. The ordinances are designed in a way that the city can enter private property immediately to address problems if owner response or action is not taken. Most of the time, the city can fine the owners for issues such as those retrospectively, meaning from the first day the problem was noticed and filed by city inspectors.The owners have been terrifically gracious here and sound like they are committed to democratic values because they have allowed the occupation to go on for weeks without their express consent to allow their land to be used for in such a way. I believe that the protest should send their very best, well-dressed, speakers to meet with the owners at their office, by appointment, and  ahead of the scheduled cleaning  as soon as possible, and try to work out a deal, having in mind options for dealing with regular cleaning and prompt garbage removal in a way that suites the owners.
    Commercial  dumpsters are very expensive so I would not advance an idea to have them pay for any out of their pockets. A respectable offer would be to offer paying for one if it is allowed by ordinance in that area. It might not actually be allowed in the park area due to pick up and drop off  accessibility issues. If this option fails, try to work out deals with neighborhood commercial vendors to respectfully use their dumpsters, ensuring to never leave anything outside the dumpster, never overloading it and making sure the lid always shuts. These measures are usually the law and designed to prohibit pestilence.
    Do not attempt this discussion with the owners over the phone  unless meeting them in person proves impossible.Perhaps they would agree to a once weekly power wash on schedule, like Monday afternoons, or perhaps twice weekly. And try to negotiate the lying down and tarp issue at the end of discussion. In the mean time, scout for public areas to occupy as a matter of a backup program considering traffic ordinance issues that all cities have to ensure safety. And pay close attention to porta potty, pedestrian and vehicle traffic accessibility issues, dumpster service issues and pestilence issues, being sure to never create these issues because they are a blank check for the city to take decisive legal action. And as far as the behavioral issues go, these are very serious and also need to be corrected immediately. Do not give them reasons to take action because when they do, many times there is already a city or county ordinance somewhere on file allowing them to.

1. Meadowlarkmoon says:

Oh please….they only “allowed” it because they didn’t think it would amount to anything.  They are the 1% and are running scared.  Please occupiers stay non-violent…it’s the only way to go…the 99% are behind you or soon will be.

I am speaking strictly to the laws concerning private property rights, the rights of eviction and that of existing governing ordinances, NOT of higher social movements, which I am a part of. The protesters are within hours of being evicted, possibly permanently, from the park area and I am trying my damnedest to prepare a good defensive strategy for them in time to make a difference. We are not dealing with philosophical issues here, we are dealing with the real law, real time limits and possible strategies around it.

32. KatherineZarker says:

Leave these people alone.  They are finally beginning to get through to the thick headed
    Republicans to show them that we the poor people, the middle class, the homeless, finally can have a say in what has been happening to the USA.  We need these people to send a clear message that we will not continue to tolerate  this kind of treatment any longer.

33. Lorraineaudet says:

I can certainly understand the need to keep the area clean of refuse of any kind, but
    if that is done by the protesters, then I hope you will take note of the fact that the
    disenfranchised people are protesting in the only way that is reasonable for them to
    show the extent of discontent people are feeling and the frustration that the people
    want the government to face.

34. FIGHTTILLYOUDIE says:

Here in Vegas, The casinos own the sidewalks on the Strip.  But because there is no other pubic sidewalk, the Strip is considered a public forum and protected by the Bill of Rights thanks to the 9th Circuit.  Case law from ACLU cases in Vegas could be used to justify the OWS usage of a private park.

Perfect. Send this information over to them on the Forum and email. I used General@OccupyWallSt.org. There may be other addresses and you can Twitter it.

35. Phoned Australian office – put thru to voice mail. Identified myself and the purpose of my call – the eviction, and left my name and number to discuss.

Thank you so much. Please see my hairy long comment below on the rights of the private property owners and possible issues they may have or rebuttals they may have to you. Be prepared for any reasons that they may give and offer sensible ways to deal with their grievances, being gracious at every turn. If you have the number still, give it to Occupy with a copy of my statement below and tell them to be well prepared before the conversation so that they are not put into defensive mode.

Can you read his email address at the top of the letter on the last page? If you can, please notify me through a response to this post.

36. Norman Phillips says:

It is about time that Americans used their rights to protest the disgusting and obscene disparity in the distribtion of wealth that leaves millions of Americans in or near poverty and blocks young peoples road to prosperity.
    I thought it would never happen and now perhaps it will take off.  Of course those allied to the banks and ultra rich will do all theycan to undermine the protests because their greed and imorality has no end.

37. Betty W. Halverson says:

The Constitution says nothing about temporally interrupting lawful assembly for clean up.  This is another attempt by the corporatocracy to subvert the Constitution and continue their takeover of this country.

Betty W. Halverson

38. Pied Piper says:

I wonder how much Brookfield got paid to write that letter and who paid them

1. jim says:

I doubt they got paid … but they had a lot of help from City Hall.

39. EJ Johnson says:

Mr Blumberg,
    As a 89 year old American citizen, I herewith request that you allow: occupy occupy wall st. To remain stay put as long as they keep the park reasonably clean. This isbtheir eight ro protest as for any American.

E J Johnson
    16001 SE 35 th st
    Vancouver, WA. 98683

40.  WE THE PEOPLE- THE 99% ARE IN AGREEMENT                                                                                        WITH THE SPIRITS OF OUR FOUNDING FATHERS

In 1775, Alexander Hamilton said , ” The sacred rights of mankind are
    not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They
    are written, as with a sun beam in the whole volume of human nature, by
    the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by
    mortal power.”   With those words in our minds from one of the Founding
    Fathers of our Great Nation known as The United States of America,  I
    am reminding Mayor Bloommberg of our( THE 99% MOVEMENT’S ) 1 Amendment
    right OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS  from the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES
    OF AMERICA : Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of
    religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the
    freedom of speech, or of the press, or THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE
    PEACEABLY TO ASSEMBLE, and TO PETITION THE GOVERNMENT FOR A REDRESS OF
    GRIEVANCES.

Moreover, Mayor Bloomberg, I want to remind you of a few words from THE
    DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE JULY 4,1776 TO WARN YOU not to lead us(99%)
    down the Road of TYRANNY :

by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are
    Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness- that to secure these
    Rights Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers
    from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government
    becomes destructive of these Ends, IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO
    ALTER OR

TO ABOLISH IT, AND TO INSTITUTE NEW GOVERNMENT, laying its Foundation
    on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them
    shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence,
    indeed, will dictate that Governments long established

abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed.  But when a long
    Train of Abuses and Usurpations , pursuing invariably the same Object,
    evinces a Design to reduce them under

absolute Despotism,  it is their Right,  it is their duty, to throw off
    such Government, and to provide New Guards for their Future Security.”
    etc…

41. The Declaration of Independence was the promise; the Constitution was the fulfillment.

In 1775, Alexander Hamilton said , ” The sacred rights of mankind are not to be rummaged for, among old parchments, or musty records. They are written, as with a sun beam in the whole volume of human nature, by the hand of the divinity itself; and can never be erased or obscured by mortal power.”   With those words in our minds from one of the Founding
    Fathers of our Great Nation known as The United States of America,  I am reminding Mayor Bloommberg of our ( THE 99% MOVEMENT’S ) 1 Amendment Right OF THE BILL OF RIGHTS  from the CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA : Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press, or THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE PEACEABLY TO ASSEMBLE, and TO PETITION THE GOVERNMENT FOR A REDRESS OF GRIEVANCES.

Moreover, Mayor Bloomberg, I want to remind you of a few words from THE DECLARATION OF INDEPENDENCE JULY 4,1776 TO WARN YOU not to lead us (99%) down the Road of TYRANNY :

” WE hold these Truths to be self-evident, that all MEN are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness- that to secure these Rights Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just Powers from the Consent of the Governed, that whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these Ends, IT IS THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO
    ALTER OR TO ABOLISH IT, AND TO INSTITUTE NEW GOVERNMENT, laying its Foundation
    on such Principles, and organizing its Powers in such Form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness. Prudence, indeed, will dictate that Governments long established should not be changed for light and transient Causes; and accordingly all Experience hath shewn, that mankind are more disposed to suffer, while Evils are sufferable , than to right themselves by abolishing the Forms to which they are accustomed.  But when a long Train of Abuses and Usurpations , pursuing invariably the same Object, evinces a Design to reduce them under absolute Despotism,  it is their Right,  it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide New Guards for their Future Security.” etc…

Why is this RICH shit Head Mayor  of a city this kind of thing has to be stoped

43. Evict and arrest the criminals who work on wall street!!

44. Pattibbs says:

I undrestand that Bloomberg’s girlfriend is on the board of directors of Zuccotti so I’d be skeptical of scheme to get peope out of the park

45. Swash Bucklin says:

The sad thing is Wall Street was never much of the problem. The problem was four fold. It was Wall Street insiders, and their money in corrupting  politics, plus the resulting derugulation of intrest rates that are criminally usurious and most importantly the lack of control over the Federal Reserve Bank. The Fed is a privately controlled bank that along with other branches like the world bank opperates in complete secrecy and creates billions upon billions of inflationary dollars and has done literally nothing but bankrupt the governments of the world. This arragement set up by a secret club of New World Order promoters, intends to consolidate its power under the cloak of the United Nations and enslave the entire planet. They call themselves the ILLUMINATI. Google their activities. You will be amazed how close we are to becoming a prison planet. Sopport all protests over any detractors.

46. Quizkwb says:

We all know this is a segway int getting rid of the occupiers.  This will only make the “Occupiers STRONGER,” YOU ARE OPENING UP A “CAN OF WORMS,”  mr bloomberg!!!!

1. Swash Bucklin says:

What Iam going to say is already out in the public view but the corporate media will not touch it. Just like it was weeks before they were pushed into covering the “occupations” across this country.

The way the early American polititicos got rid of the British, was by shooting and killing  a protester during a public demonstration against the British and blaming it on the British soldiers. That started the Revolution not the Boston Tea Party.

I don’t think we need to do that this time to get rid of the traitors who are trashing the constitution with illegal wars and and other criminal violations that make it seem they have a right to economically enslave an entire generation of  Americans and destroy jobs and social programs while enriching themselves.

All we really need to do is replace the Democrats and Republicans with a voting public that will do their job as the true owners of America.  Make voting mandatory. We might want to teach the historical truth in  public schools as well. We mighy also stop taking enforced vaccines. There is so much we don’t know about the ingredients. Be a little skeptical, people. It could save you and your children a fate worse than death.

We might aslso want to hold our respected criminals just as responsible as we do our nobody criminals. Put everyone back under the law. During the last crash, dot com, I think it was. They prosecuted Martha Stuart for insider trading , because all the other violaters were “Too big to Fall”.  Actually they were part of the secret ILLUMINATI who were already in control of the government. If you remember Clinton was called his fourth son by George Bush Sr.

George Bush Jr. ran against his Skulls and Bones fraternity brother John Kerry who was eliminated by George Jr’s smarter brother in Florida with rigged electronic voting machines and other criminal election fraud activity. The truth is, in government’ there are no outsiders. Except for a few who have been marginalized like Ron Paul, Bernie Sanders, and a congresswoman from California who was the only one to refuse to sign the Patriot Act. All the rest admitted they didn’t even read it. By the way, thats their only job???

The LLUMINATI crammed That through after they brought down the Twin Towers with thermite on 9/11. That has already been proven too, but the Monoply Media is not going  there.

Googe it for info before they get that bill shoved through that allows the Federal Gov. to turn off the internet in any area of any state or states, at any time that they would like, next time it may pass when the backlash dies down. I suppose you didn’t hear about that one either?

We are are woefully ignorant. We need to educate our neighbors. And by the way I’m depressed but not suicidal, in case I turn up dead for pointing these things out to you.
      Feel free to cut and paste these things into emails or any where else they could help rid ourselves of these jackels.

47. David Gavin says:

What a pathetic letter…
    We’re violating Brookfield’s rules and creating public health and safety issues within their “very costly” little, relaxing, tree filled oasis, by setting up tarps, tents, etc?
    Oh please! Be honest!!
    You’re worried about your company name’s involvement with a movement that’s trying to oust the corporate leeches that likely have some connection to your own interest.

We’re trying to move mountains and change the greedy ways that this nation has been way too complacent about… and your main concern is cleaning your park?!?

I can assure you that the beautiful souls who have sacrificed all their worldly comforts to fight a righteous battle such as this, surely have more a a conscience than your whole board and Mr. Bloomberg put together.
    They will clean up your little oasis better than you could have and hopefully rattle some of the rotten, festering fruit from the Wall St. corporate tree in the bargain.
    Do you know why? Because when it comes to caring, they sacrifice!!
    When you come around to caring, you stand by bureaucratic rules and dollar signs.

48. stan chaz says:

While our .00001 percenter Mayor Bloomberg gets ready to go to sleep tonight….on his sumptuous silk sheets, in his million dollar mansion…he is trying to kill off the Occupy Wall Street protests by denying them the use of sleeping bags…..while claiming that he is the number one defender of free speech. WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!!! Instead of cleaning up the park, he should help clean up the economic and social mess created by his Wall Street brethren. His city is suffering. The Emperor has no clothes. The Emperor has NO SHAME!

Do not be totally discouraged if this doesn’t work out as planned. There has been milestones achieved by this movement  in a very short time, mainly because democrats and independents put up with insane amounts of crap until they can’t take it anymore, then explode into huge protests that have brought sweeping social changes. We must seriously be the most patient people on the planet until we have had enough. If we wined all the time like the tea baggers, no one would care what we said. The million man march and occupation of the Congress and White House promises to be a power equalizer and the playing field belongs to us. If it is held at the right time of year during the warmer months, it could net well over a million people.

50. Eddiemaguire1 says:

AMERCIA.

51. Rico Piccard says:

From Orlando Florida ..we are supporting the movement OWS… clean Wall ST all right

52. Aerin says:

Bloomberg is such a sleazy, unenlightened little dilettante.

I do hope the protesters insist on assisting in the “clean up” & carefully observing it;  I wouldn’t be surprised if  the sanitation workers are under orders to put  down rat poison to keep the protesters from returning.

53. Rico Piccard says:

To all OWS Mayor Bloomberg is developing a plan of action .Mr Bloomber is part of Wall ST Mogus and he is problably supporting the 1%.You are doing the right thing by  cleaing the park your self. The moment you move out  it will  be the end . You would not  be able to assemble again.

54. Stanleyc says:

Mayor Bloomberg: Leave the 99% in the park alone.

55. nik heykal says:

maybe they are just confused as you lot.Maybe among the mass protest that seem to include the ramifications thought to be brought up as the ‘Arab Spring’ could be vital on tainting the ‘Occupy’ agenda.I just hope that the protest is as sincere as it was thought to be.Thats my 2 cents.

56. Katey. says:

We will not be stopped.

57. Em_pty Skin says:

The protesters need sane, committed, responsible, representatives an a clean, reasonable list of demands.  It will turn into ‘#Woodstock 2011′ if they aren’t careful.

Personally,  I think they should demand three things:

an immediate end to all aggressive military actions abroad,

A thorough audit of the FED, Treasury, and every major bank,

and a repeal of the PATRIOT act with no exempted provisions.

The audit would be all that is necessary for the market to liquidate the banks and revalue the assets at a proper level.  We could try the bankers for fraud and all that, sure, i wouldn’t mind seeing them all in jail.  But, the next obvious step would be to elect Ron Paul to get someone who understands how to bring foreign capital back to the US.  Those corporations that don’t pay taxes because they found loopholes…you think raising their tax level will make them pay more?!  They bothered finding those loopholes because they think the taxes are already too high!  The other two should be obvious to anyone who has the ability to perceive.

The DNC and RNC are out to deceive.  They will both use their influence to skew how people see the events.  Be wary of the representative structure that has developed it already has big money at the center.

58. The majority of the information in that letter is utter crap anyways. A woman was accosted in front of her 5 year old, and something stolen from her? And she calls the park owner to complain, rather than going up to any one of the hundreds of police officers stationed around there and getting something done about it? That whole segment of the letter spells out that they are grasping at any straw they think they can find. It negated the entirety of the letter, in my view.

59. Ferris Newton says:

How can Citizens express their Constitutional Freedom to express themselves, if self-interested Politicians “CLEAN UP” rightful protest while the greedy and illegal Corporationists buy  the people who are supposed to represent US.
    CLEAN UP THE LEGALIZED GAMBLING DENS THAT HAVE PERVERTED CAPITALISM !!!

FERRIS NEWTON

60. stan chaz says:

Our very own .00001 Percenter… Mayor Bloomberg…. is getting ready to go to sleep tonight,on his sumptuous silk sheets, in his multi-million dollar mansion. At the same time, he is trying to kill off the Occupy Wall Street protests by denying them the use of sleeping bags…..while claiming that he is the number one defender of free speech. WHAT A HYPOCRITE!!!! Instead of cleaning up the park, he should help  to clean up the economic and social mess created by his Wall Street brethren. His city is suffering. This Emperor has no clothes. This Emperor has NO SHAME!

61. Karen Kallal says:

Over the recent years, and quite a bit in the last 3+ years, I have lost enough rights as an American to want to scream – WHAT ARE YOU DOING? But loss of our right to peaceful assembly to protest is not one I am willing to let slide.

DO NOT EVICT THE PROTESTERS UNDER SOME GUISE OF CLEANING UP! This is part of the problem, our leaders think the masses are stupid. Please, no more loss of rights, including this one. Americans are waking up now – and it is about time. We are no longer going to tolerate what has gone before, and I hope this scares the leaders of our country into believing we are not going to tolerate your trampling on us for your personal gain – whether Democrat or Republican!

62. Webrydr says:

I can see this now.  Cops in riot gear, lexan shields up, batons in hand, maybe even the horses will get called in.  They’ll begin to lockstep across the park.  Some will be carrying shotguns, hopefully with rubber bullets.  Fire hoses all connected, many vans and wagons to haul away the arrested. Some ambulances and EMT’s on hand to tend to the wounded or injured police officers. Not so much for the protesters.

Leaves and days off have likely been cancelled, costing the city how much?  I haven’t a clue.  They’re not gonna be happy to be there, interfering with their fellow citizens when they themselves are part of the 99% and may feel sympathy and support for the protest.

You won’t see any thousand dollar suits hangin’ around.  They’ll be watching from their conference rooms on gigantic screens, rootin’ for the cops to disperse the rabblerousers.

Actually, this reminds me of the French Revolution.  The ONE thing the French actually did right!  I’m not advocating use of the guillotine, nor the chopping off of limbs as is done in parts of the Middle East.

No, the protesters need to keep their feelings in check.  Give the cops no reason, legally, to club you, pepper spray you, kick you, beat you, render you unconscious or break your bones.  That’s what the cameras will be looking for, however.  The more lurid, the better.

Could be an interesting “news day” tomorrow.

Be talkin’ to you……………………Webrydr

63. Nancyglassman says:

This protest is a great hope for our collective concious and collective future. If they are still there, they must be allowed to stay there, if they have been removed, let’s all stand up with them! The more people who get removed, the more people should show up and occupy again!

Nancy Glassman

64. Igrace1111 says:

I have been looking at this world …”New world order ???”..of
    things. If I put myself in the middle of it it is a very difficult place to be,
    if you don’t want to piss someone off. Still, I stand here because this is
    where it feels best. I can’t feel righteous about being what I thought was a
    peace activist because I care now about more of the whole. In fact I don’t see
    how it can’t be done, without the whole being addressed.  What kind of world do we want to
    create? Where are we going when we change the world? Do you have your highest
    good in mind? Do you have everyone’s? This is what I ask of the 99% percent
    that I stand with. This is what I ask you to ask yourselves. We have an
    opportunity to change the world. How do we do that? How do we want to?

This is a free will planet and that means we have choice.
    That also means we created the world we are living in and can create a better
    one from a better place…..a place of knowing. We know now, what doesn’t work. We
    know judgment doesn’t work, or do we? What do we want to do to make it better?

I can think of a few things. Consensus! We all have a say.
    Funny thing is that when you feel you are being heard you have better things to
    say ….so, even you may have better things to say, so,..Give yourself that
    opportunity to grow. Lets work together to make a better world. Consensus may
    take time, less than you think, when time is no longer money.

PS- I think Obama sits in this same center and could use a
    word of encuragement. I’m not sure anyone in politics today can be in a good
    place, not even the best of them and with the best intentions. There is too
    much corporate pressure. It has run so long already. If you have forgotten what
    kind of arena he stepped into, Go rent “Fair Game” to see where we have come
    from. An impossible task in an impossible time. They hold a lot of cards and I
    really think he needs to hear from us. Now that he is hearing from us, and
    don’t lets let off the pressure, we will see who he really is. Don’t forget how
    much pressure he is really under. If he’s true, he will move forward with the
    flow of the people. People…Take Charge.

65. How about ‘cleanliness’ is next to radicalization!?

There oughta be a functional way to maintain personal and spatial hygiene without departing, eh? We do that in our homes constantly (I would hope!).

66. Johnnydrako says:

This is why solidarity must be brought among those with the thought to end corruption.  If we do not act to solidify and bring this movement out of infancy the machine will bull it over any means necessarily what scares them in the unification of  ideal within a active populous.  Unify my people of “Why?” or be cut down as we stand alone.  A political party platformed by the ideals of the “Occupiers” would be what brought about real change, and is what scares the 1% machine the most.

67. I live in NYC and I went down there Saturday just to see.  I am open to any message and have no political loyalty.

The situation is dangerous as far as safety and fire hazards for sure.
    I walked through their camp and they have tables set up 99% begging for money to simply stay there and be fed and have better camping gear.

There are tables set up for pamphlets promoting communism.
    What I saw in the media wasn’t remotely reflective of what I saw in person.

There have a band playing only percussion instruments and the police I spoke with said it plays all day long.
    It is definitely dirty, dangerous and unorganized.

I was with a very conservative Republican friend and she was engaging in conversations with the protesters to no avail as to the common message and what their solution is and frankly, I was afraid for us based on the response of the protesters.

When I grew up a protest was the people walking in a circle holding signs and chanting.
    Why do these people have to camp there and set up a mini city?
    Why don’t they just go home daily and return with their signs?

If this disrupted my business in this already difficult economic times, I would be insane and against this of course.

Clearly there is a message to the government and Wall street but they have no clear message or clear solution that would make them happy and return home.

Shouldn’t this protest be in Washington DC?

68. Jesse says:

Freedom of speech is not a blanket right. Franklin himself said that “Freedom of speech would not protect a man from shouting “fire” in a crowded theater and causing a general panic” Likewise it does not protect them from infringing on the free use of the park by other law abiding citizens or creating a hazardous environment in a public place.