Former Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis, In Cuffs

raylewis2 Former Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis, In Cuffs

Ray Lewis (Photo via Lauren Thorpe)

This amazing image comes to us via tipster Lauren Thorpe, who wrote in ” I’ve been down at OWS all morning and am heading back down there again now,” with an attachment of former Philadelphia police Captain Ray Lewis, who was arrested today in conjunction with the Occupy Wall Street protests. There is simply nothing more bizarre than looking at images of a man in police uniform arrested and handcuffed by people wearing lower-ranking NYPD garb.

Click through for larger image.

raylewis2 Former Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis, In Cuffs
If that’s not Pulitzer-worthy photography–capturing the true insanity of today–then we don’t know our Pulitzers.

Comments

1. Nbawriter1 says:

I think the typo in the caption ruined the Pulitzer hopes – WOMP WOMP.

1. Drew Grant says:

Look, it was a Pulitzer for photography, not for caption-writing.

1. Sdfsd says:

Que te pires.

2. Propsguy says:

i agree.  i was there

3. WOW!!!! Bet he lost his 1040k in the Wall Street Crash!!!

4. Erthwjim says:

So he was a former police officer? That would be past tense correct? Meaning he’s not one now… Why was he still wearing a police uniform?

1. Joe Mo says:

So that people know that a man who spent his life building a career being a police captain is upset with the actions of Wall Street.

1. Erthwjim says:

Ok, and does that make his reason for protesting somehow more valid than others that were protesting? Is his arrest somehow more important than all the other arrests? Would you rather the police played favoritism and instead arrested other people and let him get away with whatever it is he did (which has yet to be mentioned from any article I’ve read).

I think you’re missing the point: People of all ages and backgrounds are involved in OWS, as evidenced by a former senior police captain who has been detained. This is not a movement of law-breakers and anarchists. These are people with legitimate gripes about inequality in America.

3. Erthwjim says:

So if it’s people of all types of backgrounds, why single out someone that used to be a cop? what makes him so much more important then everyone else there? The point is, everyone is supposed to be equal, so how does pointing out one person support that when he’s supposed to be like everyone else?

It’s a poignant photo that demonstrates just how fascist Bloomberg and his brownshirts are behaving. The juxtaposition of a senior police captain being arrested by the rank and file thugs of the NYPD is moving without explanation. Sorry if you can’t see that, but I get the feeling you are just being willfully ignorant. Enjoy being on the wrong side of history. Good day.

2. WTC says:

Lewis, who retired from the Philadelphia Police Department in 2004, joined the Occupy Wall Street protesters on Tuesday, holding a sign that read “NYPD Don’t Be Wall Street Mercenaries.” retired officers are allowed to wear their uniforms

1. Erthwjim says:

Why did he wait so long?

5. Enn says:

If he was still part of the force, he’d still be part of those doing the cuffing. This also sends a very pertinent psychological message to those cops (if any) that they can expect to be treated the exact same.  Ex-uniforms/ officials are of little value and hold even less sway with their officials than they did when they were uniformed. The police are emplyed by the rich to keep us from rising up against them. It’s a modern day middle ages story.

1. James Reynolds says:

very true. agreed

2. NottsOxonWillORNG says:

Privatised neo-feudal security

6. Margot R. Becker says:

Bravo, Captain Lewis!  Thank you for your courage and strength.

7. Tgbkew says:

If you can’t see the powerful statement being made by this man then mabey some of you should stop following this movement and go back to playing video games.

1. That’s a little hostile.  I play tons of video games and have been following this movement intently.  I am very worried at the social and political implications it holds.  It’s very clear here that this is more than “just another protest.”  This is clearly a major historical event, I’m just not sure which way it’s going to go yet.

Side note: Stuff like this is one of the reasons I expatriated to Canada!

8. orison squirrel says:

For the LULZ..

9. James Reynolds says:

that alone should wake people up,,OPEN YOUR EYEs AMERICA……

10. Mjgcrow says:

Former Police Captain. As in-was, used to be, isn’t any longer, just a regular guy (but wearing a police dept. uniform). Tell him to back to Philly!!!

And a vet with a CIB is also just a regular guy? You fail the context quiz.

And a vet with a CIB is also just a regular guy? You fail the context quiz.

11. Dbroad333 says:

Mayor Bloomberg and the NYPD are really beginning to worry me. Shades of Nazi Germany.

1. Lemoutan says:

But Bloomberg’s just another one of the ‘owned’ isn’t he? In Hollywood fiction, he’d end up as the sacrifice that los poderosos would make to avoid their own ignominy.

2. LM says:

Let’s not confuse genocide with class warfare.

1. Goodkitty787 says:

Hitler *started* not with genocide, but with class warfare.

12. Mark Readman says:

We are very worried here in the UK, what on earth is happening in your country ? Where is the freedom ?

1. Renata says:

There wasn’t ever any real freedom in this country Mark..

1. Davnos says:

But that’s gonna change.

2. Kerry says:

Don’t be ridiculous. You’re typing on a laptop or a cellphone or an iPad to make that comment – something that you spent hundreds of dollars on and your communication on it is unlimited and uncensored. In what way is your personal freedom currently being blocked at this moment?

The actions of the police are horrible and inexcusable and should (and will be) dealt with. But don’t compare a few bad apples to fascist dictators and all the other hell in other countries. You just sound ridiculously privileged.

3. Yes, Kerry, we can usually post things online without problems.  At least so far.  A few years ago, in the privacy of my on home though, the police entered in with a gun & made me lay on the floor while they searched me.   They realized that they made a mistake & left but it doesn’t make me feel that I’m free.  I even talked to the Mayor after, who I knew personally & he only defended the police actions!

Sure, we can call this freedom if you like.  It’s just a word.  It means nothing

4. How much freedom do we have if we are underemployed, underpaid, overtaxed and overcharged.

Ordinary people are increasingly being strip mined by the rich, viz the shrinkage of middle class neighbourhoods from 60% odd to 40% odd since 1970.

Modern Monetary Theory explains that with the economy being run too cold deliberately generating massively costly and wasteful multi-generational mass unemployment this isn’t surprising, what is surprising is that it’s taken this long for ordinary people to start to defend their economic freedom, without a decent living wage, how free are we?

A society is only as strong as it’s weakest, least productive members

5. Tru ta dat !!! says:

Well for starters here in Canada if I were to name these people who run wall street by their international parasitical political affiliation I would get more jail time than if I bludgeoned a man half to death with a baseball bat in the street for no reason…I would be ethnically insensitive. Thank eff the Americans are armed to the teeth and will soon be hanging their parasites…

6. InvadeAndorra says:

If you think the police will be “dealt with” from our existing forms of government, your views of our country are seriously flawed.  NOTHING will happen to these police– with the possible exception of that Bologna guy who sprayed those women.  NOTHING.

7. michael spendelow says:

you obviously are blissfully unaware of the Levin/McCain act and what it entails !! Look it up, read it, then tell me how free you are !

2. @Mark Readman — Real FREEDOM hasn’t existed in a long, long time.  One by one — law, ordinances, rules, policy, court orders or restriction by any other name has slowly encroached upon what we Americans THOUGHT was freedom.  The so-called Patriot Act is an obscenity of the highest degree — and that’s just ONE “Act” passed by our “stick it to us” Congress.  It will requires years and the best legal minds available to undo the horrible mess that government for the wealthy has burdened America with; and just about every other country that’s influenced by the cry that America Represents Freedom.

3. “And freedom? Oh, freedom. That’s just some people talking.” – the Eagles
      There is no freedom, Mark.  The law is arbitrary and it will be as long as there are humans who run it.  Yes, Kerry, we can usually post things online without problems.  At least so far.  A few years ago, though, in the privacy of my own home, the police entered in with a gun & made me lay on the floor while they searched me.   They realized that they made a mistake & left but it doesn’t make me feel that I’m free.  I even talked to the Mayor after, who I knew personally & he only defended the police actions!

4. michael spendelow says:

Where is the freedom you ask ??  Look up the Levin/McCain detention act, which Obama has backed and enshrined into law this very week and you will see that America, “the land of the free” is a delusion.
      The foundations of a police state have been laid, this very week.

13. Ray Lewis you are a true hero :)

14. Warrenbarrett says:

good for him…I’m not sure if he did anything wrong, but at least he is standing up- well in this picture he is actually sitting- for what he believes.

15. A V says:

The irony in this picture is just so amazing. There aren’t even words for it. The Chief of the Philidephia Police Department arrested for peacefully protesting the arrests of people who were peacefully protesting. No words I say!

16. Maheen says:

This is just bullshit.

17. girlie says:

bloomberg is the 1%

18. Rob Shannon says:

In this country if you break the law you are arrested and face trial.  That is the way it should be, it doesn’t matter if you are a police officer, retired police officer,or what your rank is.

1. Mike Crews says:

What law was broken?  Is that law just? Should everyone obey unjust laws?

2. Mike Crews says:

What law was broken?  Is that law just? Should everyone obey unjust laws?

19. Fanuilh1 says:

Honestly I think he was making a point to the NYPD. You are a part of the 99% just as I am stand with us or let us be.

20. Jaffonerr says:

Cops hate hippy anarchist scum and hate cops who turn anarchist scum even more. If there weren’t hippy anarchist scum with cameras around, you can bet the cops on duty would have drawn, quartered, cooked and eaten on the spot and toasted his grim demise with a can of Bud Light.

21. obbop says:

“There’s class warfare, all right, Mr. (Warren) Buffett said, but it’s my class, the rich class, that’s making war, and we’re winning.”

“There has been class warfare going on,” Buffett, 81, said in a Sept. 30 interview with Charlie Rose on PBS. It’s just that my class is winning. And my class isn’t just winning, I mean we’re killing them.”

22. Ciafis_esq says:

Ludacrist but he does have the right to an attrorney. lol

23. Ghost Rider says:

True American hero, a patriot. The cops who arrested him are idiots, corporate slaves and fools. Their corporate masters cut their wages and benefits, yet they still blindly follow and disgrace their position as public servants while arresting a true American Patriot!

24. Raf327 says:

Just remember, America was founded by “rebels” modern term today are terrorists. There is no such thing as “freedom” america is a democracy. If you want Freedom, it’s called Anarchy.

25. Stickbuket07 says:

there are better photographs out there, beyond the media  blackout that are much more worthy of a Pulitzer.  Yeah you got a shot, but its not great.

26. LastLive says:

I’m no longer positive where you’re getting your info, but good topic. I must spend a while learning much more or figuring out more. Thanks for magnificent info I used to be searching for this info for my mission.