ray lewis occupy Former Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis Joins With Occupy Wall Street Protesters [Video]

Former Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis occupying Zuccotti Park last night. (Photo: YouTube)

Update: Mr. Lewis has been arrested, according to multiple reports.
Retired Philadelphia Police Captain Ray Lewis was in Zuccotti Park last night with the Occupy Wall Street protesters. Mr. Lewis showed up in uniform carrying signs a pair of signs imploring New York City cops to join the protests. “NYPD Don’t Be Wall Street Mercenaries,” one read. Mr. Lewis was interviewed on one of the Occupy Wall Street livestreams at about two this morning. He was sharply critical of the NYPD’s conduct during their raid on the protest encampment Tuesday. “This bullrush–what happened last night is totally uncalled for,” Mr. Lewis said.

A Philadelphia Police Department spokesperson confirmed to the Observer that Mr. Lewis was a captain prior to retiring in 2004. He was photographed at the protests yesterday afternoon as demonstrators ringed Zuccotti Park in the wake of their eviction.

In his late night interview with the livestreamers, Lewis said police in New York City should have dealt with Occupy Wall Street through negotiation rather than forcefully removing protesters from the park.

“You should, by law, only use force to protect someone’s life or to protect them from being bodily injured OK? If you’re not protecting somebody’s life or protecting them from bodily injury, there’s no need to use force. And the number one thing that they always have in their favor that they seldom use is negotiation–continue to talk, and talk and talk to people. You have nothing to lose by that,” Mr Lewis said. “This bullrush–what happened last night is totally uncalled for when they did not use negotiation long enough.”

Mayor Bloomberg has stated the raid was necessary because the protest encampment carried with it a risk of crime, fire and health hazards. Mr. Lewis called that rationale “a farce.”

“They complained about the park being dirty. Here they are worrying about dirty parks when people are starving to death, where people are freezing, where people are sleeping in subways and they’re concerned about a dirty park. That’s obnoxious, it’s arrogant, it’s ignorant, it’s disgusting,” Mr. Lewis said.

Mr. Lewis said the police want to get rid of him, but he vowed to keep coming back to the protests.

“They’re trying to get me arrested and I may disappear OK?” Mr. Lewis said. “As soon as I’m let out of jail, I’ll be right back here and they’ll have to arrest me again.”

Mr. Lewis thinks some officers might appreciate his presence, but not top brass.

“I’m their worst enemy, especially with the white shirts, the bosses OK? Some of the fellow cops they might be thinking, you know, ‘That guy, he’s got a point,’ but the bosses, i’m their number one enemy,” Mr. Lewis said.

Mr. Lewis clearly doesn’t think the NYPD likes him, but he told the protesters he doesn’t think cops are their enemy.

“All the cops are, they’re just workers for the one percent and they don’t even realize they’re being exploited,” Mr. Lewis said.

Viewers who watched Mr. Lewis’ interview told us he spoke on camera for more than 40 minutes. We’ll try to get our hands on a full clip, but for now, you can watch an excerpt of Mr. Lewis’ livestream appearance below.

Comments

1. Maria Glass says:

God bless Mr. Lewis. Decorated also.

1. God Bless him! He is on point!

2. RUNNINGCOYOTE says:

WELL THIS IS THE START TO SOMETHING, THE REST OF THE GUINIE PIGS WILL COME AROUND.

Yes, the Philadelphia police. The guys that dropped a bomb on protestors back in 1985. Yep, real outstanding bunch of whiz wits.

1. Gamphd says:

The days of Frank Rizzo are long gone, and good riddance.

4. Abundananda says:

and this is just the beginning … just watch more n more folks jump fence to support OWS in the knowing it represents a far better future than what we r in 4 if we keep on this mad highway to hell….

1. Nygiantsgw says:

You mean a future like the old Soviet Union or current day Cuba.  Maybe you mean like Greece or even Italy…  That future?

1. Edawgroe says:

So you think the occupiers are all communists?  There are many ideals present in the movement, but it is essentially apolitical in nature.

2. Nygiantsgw says:

No, I do not think you are all Communist.  I think some are also Socialist and well as Environmentalist and finally mix in a few Anarchist.  That would sum it up pretty good.

3. F. L. says:

You say this as if it’s a bad thing. You obviously don’t understand the situation.

4. grannyj3 says:

Oooooo!  Environmentalist!  What, you don’t like breathing (relatively) clean air, or drinking water that doesn’t make you sick?  I do.

If someone wrote down a good point on the internet, or in a book, or in a song, you could say it was a good point without knowing if it came from a man or woman, Conservative or Liberal, Communist or Socialist or Anarchist….so why do you care at all what the OWS people look like or what their beliefs are?  Can’t you just agree that our government is BROKEN? It doesnt represent WE THE PEOPLE any longer.  Why do you care where the message comes from?

6. Liam says:

No we are all americans…. and you sound dumb

7. Twinutter says:

So you think communism isn’t here already? It’s just disguised as “democracy.” Most of them just want a better future and most talk about the economy, the wars, etc.

8. Tchirnin says:

Greece or Italy?  I think Italy with an average  net  family worth of 350,000 Euros does not envy the pauper American but then again you are the stereotype of the stupid unread  American.

5. Rocsoc says:

OWS should just all get jobs, oh right screaming and bitching is easier

1. FYI Most of us have jobs and support the 99%  100%  Maybe you should get better informed as to who supports the movement.  Good luck with all your negativity just shows how ignorant you truly are.  I work my ass off and have the common sense to know better.  Peace.

2. guest says:

The folk at OWS are there becaue they WANT jobs.  Please stop believing the B.S. that you’re being fed that these are people who don’t want to work.  They’re there because of the unemployment rate in this country that was caused by the crooks up in the tower offices that line Wall Street. Why not direct your anger towards the actual criminals instead of the victims.

3. Ann says:

Some of us don’t have to work. Got a problem with that? Traditional “soccer mom”, supported by my husband, raising my family, and fighting the good fight in my free time. Any decent parent would teach their children to stand up for what is right, teach them to be good citizens and speak out. That’s what I’m doing.

4. socialworker says:

A lot of Senior citizens, retirees, employed people are protesting. Finally, after many years of being conformist we are standing up.  In the 60′s and 70′s protesting was the game to get yourself heard. In the 80′s and on we (US americans got lazy in speaking up for themselves).

5. Jimmy Carl Black says:

I have a  job. I make just over $80K per year, which is nothing compared to the 1 percent, but much more than the average American. My life is pretty good and I’m thankful for it, but I can’t keep turning a blind eye to the massive exploitation of all those less fortunate than me. The 1 percent have raped and pillaged this country long enough and it’s time for all of us to stand up and say “enough!” Most OWS protesters either have jobs or desperately want one. If you think these people are lazy, you’re not informed. Go down to one of the protests and talk to the people yourself. See what they really have to say.

1. BTW I am considered to be in the top 10% – 15% in this country.  Republicans are fighting for people like me. And…I agree with OWS… Funny how protesting wasn’t a problem for Conservatives were screaming and yelling all day every day.  When did they work?  They were available to take Koch Bros. buses to Washington whenever summoned by Fox, Palin, Bachmann or Glenn Beck.

2. Nygiantsgw says:

Can you please point out a story or a video of tea party protesters defecating in the parks or Raping other protesters?  Thanks in advance.  Not that I expect to hear back from you.

3. Kevin Shaw says:

Nygiantsgw, can you point out a single instance where an OWS protester did either of those things? I thought not.
        These people are to be commended for their tolerance and support of the hundreds of homeless people that have swelled their ranks. They’ve done a better job of feeding, clothing, and housing them than our government institutions. They cannot, however, make certain that they continue on their meds.
        The local Fox news station made a big deal about feces and urine in the subway near the OccupyPhilly site. I guess that reporter had never been down there before, because it’s ALWAYS been that way.

4. Nygiantsgw says:

I posted  2 examples that you requested but they have to be “approved” by the moderator.  We will see if they get approved.

5. I agree with you.  @5e04fbbdaf8d9103845521b9f0780b4c:disqus is either a child or just another ignorant drone.  Sure, much riffraff has shown up to the protests, they always do (for a recent example look at the people that went to Toronto for the G8 with pretty much the sole intent of causing damage).  You are blind and ignorant if you think the system is being run appropriate anywhere.

@ca31487f16a3ac91106885c7bfe160d1:disqus people are not looking for communism.  They are looking for fair treatment and opportunity, which does not exist at this point in time.  Unless you are in the 1% you have an extremely high chance of having your potential limited from birth simply because your grandfather did hand your father a billion dollar organization.  If you want a great example of people getting screwed by the system, go camp out in Detroit for a week.

6. Nygiantsgw says:

Tremblay: The people of Detroit were not screwed by the “system”.  They were screwed by there own greed.  The UAW kept asking for more and more until the point that U.S. Automakers had to start shutting down plants and ultimately moving plants to other locations in order to remain competitive.   Greed is as alive and well in the Unions as it is in Corporate America.

7. Tchirnin says:

You are really quite ignorant  as I said in my previous reply to you as you being unread and stupid . What about our greedy Wall Street banksters and the trillions which they stole? How about our traitor corporations who went off shore to countries with slave labor? When the U.S. had unions in most of its industries we were by far the most prosperous of all nations and every nation on earth was indebted to us. Now we are  indebted to 3rd world countries such as Mexico and other banana republics and you condemn the unions  for the pittance that they demanded.  May I ask if you can answer which I doubt, why is it that Germany where just about every body is unionized hasn’t shut down their car plants and moved them to slave wage countries? German workers put Americans to shame in the amount of their  wages which are over 60% higher. We are 3rd world in earnings compared to them. The same could be said for countries such as Sweden , The Netherlands, etc. Their workers pity our comparative poverty.

8. I don’t remember anything to do with the Tea Party that ended in police riots &/or people taking over city parks for months…

9. BTW I am considered to be in the top 10% – 15% in this country.  Republicans are fighting for people like me. And…I agree with OWS… Funny how protesting wasn’t a problem for Conservatives were screaming and yelling all day every day.  When did they work?  They were available to take Koch Bros. buses to Washington whenever summoned by Fox, Palin, Bachmann or Glenn Beck.

10. Nygiantsgw says:

Can you please give some examples of the “99% getting raped and pillaged” by the 1%?
        I always thought in a democracy we have the right to purchase what we want from whom we want.  If you don’t like the 1% stop buying there products.  Seems simple enough but that isn’t socialism so it doesn’t work for you and your ilk.

11. Escapety says:

Everything you spout off is a talking point from Fox News. Painting the protesters as “Dirty confused jobless hippy’s” is the same tactic they used during Vietnam.
        Take a look around you! People are suffering.  Good educated people cant find jobs, and CEO’s who have received bailouts are getting multi-million $ salary’s.  Congress is getting rich through insider trading, and in the pocket of whatever industry has the richest lobbyist.  This wealthy elite has no morals or care for the good of anything but MAXIMUM PROFIT at ANY cost.

12. Peachypauly says:

I have a job, I make a pretty good living – so does that mean I shouldn’t worry about my fellow citizens?  Is it the American dream to only worry about yourself?  I guess that is the Corporate way…only worry about yourself.  That isn’t the America I want to live in…I want to live in the America where we are a society and help each other be the best that we can be.

6. Killer1961 says:

Seems like you are the one bitching. I work, I support OWS because it is one of our civil liberties to peacefully protest. Guess that makes us patriots.

7. You mean like the Past (2) years of Bag(R)z whining and screaming in Washington on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  When did they work?  Did their employers give them “Protest Washington Days Off”.  The OWS crowd is where Bag(R)z should have been on “Wall Street”.  Instead Bag(R)z are voting the way the Koch Bros manipulate Them to vote by financing Tea Party events and candidates.  The Koch Bros. are among the Biggest Polluters in the country.  Of course they DO NOT want Cap ‘N Trade.

8. You mean like the Past (2) years of Bag(R)z whining and screaming in Washington on Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, Thursday and Friday.  When did they work?  Did their employers give them “Protest Washington Days Off”.  The OWS crowd is where Bag(R)z should have been on “Wall Street”.  Instead Bag(R)z are voting the way the Koch Bros manipulate Them to vote by financing Tea Party events and candidates.  The Koch Bros. are among the Biggest Polluters in the country.  Of course they DO NOT want Cap ‘N Trade.

I have a job, a professional one with a good salary.  I’m 50 years old and have worked all my life since age 18.  I put myself through college because my dad was dead and my mom believed education was wasted on girls.  I’ve struggled very hard for everything I have — and I support OWS wholeheartedly!  Simply being successful myself doesn’t mean that I don’t care about the bank fraud that has disadvantaged and disenfranchised many, many, many hard-working people just like me.

10. belindaesq says:

There are 4 people for every open job. Almost all of our manufacturing sector has gone overseas where corporations can make more money by paying less in wages or have you not noticed. Only a real dolt could make a comment like yours.

6. Rick Ladd says:

Bully for you, Captain Lewis! You’ve got it all right. Keep it up.

7. Bradley Jenkins says:

not all OW people are dirty hippies.

8. Human333 says:

A rare thing, a good cop. A really good cop. Thank you Captain Lewis. If only there were more like you.

9. Good people aren’t always brave when paralyzed with fear.May this good man give courage to all to speak out! Thumb up to you, Captain Ray Lewis!

10. Jamez says:

They arrested him  :(

11. Thank you for speaking truth and being brave enough to not care how the big boss’ think of you!  You are loved by masses of people for doing this!  You will be in the history books!  BRAVO!

12. Thank you for speaking truth and being brave enough to not care how the big boss’ think of you!  You are loved by masses of people for doing this!  You will be in the history books!  BRAVO!

13. The Police who arrested you and those that detain you and anyone else who is infringing upon YOUR rights and the rights of the protesters will be in history books also but not as the good guys.  BRAVO TO YOU MR. LEWIS.  People like yourself are true leaders!

14. tao says:

my new hero… what a brave man!

15. nulset says:

Good cops are great people!

16. leslie lopez says:

he’s just there for the free doughnuts …………

17. sixpackalab says:

This is not an anti-police demonstration or protest.  We are here to protest the unjustness of our nations wealth in the hands of the elite 1%.  Police are as underpaid as any other public service.

18. I am shocked to see some Philly white trash has migrated to New York to join in with the filthy wanabee hippies.

19. Mick Dunday says:

Hey cap’n, give up your very generous pension that the good people of philly paid for…then you will have relevance to the non-OWS folks.

20. ken arcieri says:

The retired captain is right it is just the beginning . I am a retired lieutenant and I see a revolt coming decent cops will go to the 99% it just takes time, do not stop occupying its getting to the power. Power to the people.

You’re a good man, Capt. Lewis.

22. I wonder if this guy every arrested people for victimless crimes. Assuming he did, has he made efforts to compensate his victims?

23. James Reynolds says:

i wanna get involved, i just recently bought “a new” car, 1999 Honda CRV,,,now brace yourself,, for $27.000 after interest etc. this is a $4000.00 vehicle. only reason i did it was because i need to get to work and have children and have “no credit”, i always paid cash for tings even cars etc..
    between myself and my gf we make well over $90.000 a year.

THATS ROBBERY!!!!!!

IM SICK TO MY STOMACH EVERYTIME I THINK ABOUT IT BUT WHAT DO I DO??

24. James Reynolds says:

AMERICA STAND UP!!!

25. Les says:

want OWS movement to go away???…….I always said “No country ever went Communist on a full stomache”………..nothing like a   JOB!!!  to get those pesky protesters off the street…

26. Kalen says:

Why was this man even arrested? For not cleaning up the park or something? No reason has even been given so far.

27. Alex Limkin says:

Have you heard about

Captain Ray Lewis,

the grayhair

from Philadelphia?

He went to Wall Street

in full dress uniform

carrying a sign addressing

NYPD brutality.

He knows the brutalization

we have seen thus far

has been nothing.

“If this continues to grow,

if this continues to grow.”

He shakes his head

at what is coming.

“They will target the leaders first.”

He does not complete his thought.

He does not say

what he knows

about the way ahead:

that the leaders must be

innumerable.

They must be innumerable and unmoving.

And brave as only wild things are.

I am with Captain Ray Lewis,

grayhair from Philadelphia.

28. Tom Thomer says:

As a retired Phila. Police Detective and an American Citizen I am heartened and proud of this man.  Heroes are born every day.

29. Rob Shannon says:

The Occupy movement has run its course.  It is time for someone to take the lead and make this a legitimate movement or take your  sleeping bags and go home.  We may have the right to protest but this is beginning to look more and more like a mob.  These protesters are stepping on the rights of too many others.

I only hope that the fines for those arrested will be high enough to offset the cost to the city.

30. obbop says:

Generally, it is rather easy to determine which posters are well-indoctrinated citizen-sheep by the manner they post with.

Supportive of those who filled their irrational minds with knee-jerk rhetoric tossing out emotion-laden froth and “debating” using no new thoughts or ideas; merely babbling the same tired emotion-laden platitudes and conveying their pleasure with being “proper thinking lackeys of their socio-economic masters.”

Or, using emotion from “my side,”

The citizen-sheep are bleating their pleasure at being proper-thinking citizens.

31. Pam Miner says:

this is a great video! This man is a hero. He speaks the truth and he’s risking his life (possibly) and it’s great that he mentioned the oath keepers.
     All police and members of the armed services have sworn and oath to NOT do certain things that would hurt citizens. I read it and the police bullies are breaking that oath!
      I hope the police will see this and remember their oath and decide they are on the wrong side.

OCCUPY A JOB!!!   OCCUPY A JOB!!!

33. Thank you, Captain Ray Lewis.  I admire you very much for what your are doing.  You are a brave man and a “HERO”  and a great “ROLL MODEL”.  I am ill and cannot march or join the OCCUPY WALL  STREET.   The way this country is going change is to PROTEST.  Again I “THANK YOU.”

34. pearl says:

Captain Ray Lewis is risking his reputation, putting his name on the line—and in my opinion he is a hero for the people!

35. Lisa W says:

You are a Hero Ray Lewis. Much Love to you.

36. Smartnellie says:

Don’t punish me with brutality, come on talk to me, so we can see what’s going on!
    Angie B.

37. hurt says:

It’s really a great and useful piece of info. I am satisfied that you simply shared this useful information with us. Please stay us informed like this. Thank you for sharing.