Paul Ceglia, the mysterious upstate New Yorker suing Facebook, escaped to his childhood hometown in Ireland back in August. But now a judge is ordering him to come back and finish what he started. It’s been more than 18 months since Mr. Ceglia first alleged his claim for half of the social network, based on contract work done by Mark Zuckerberg in 2003. Now a judge is saying Mr. Ceglia is withholding electronic evidence and must come back to the U.S. to conduct a search for a few flash drives Facebook says will prove Mr. Ceglia forged documents.
Reuters is ON THE CASE:
But Ceglia’s latest lawyer — who joined the case about two weeks ago, after four other firms resigned over the last year — told me in a long interview Wednesday evening that he and Ceglia have turned the tables on Facebook and Gibson Dunn. In the face of sanctions motions by Facebook, California solo Dean Boland filed retorts accusing Facebook and Gibson Dunn of tampering with the original contract between Ceglia and Zuckerberg, who did some coding work for Ceglia before founding Facebook; and with Zuckerberg’s Harvard email account.
Mr. Ceglia’s legal team going on the offense looks like a Hail Mary pass, she insinuates, especially considering he’s been dumped by at least four law firms.
Mr. Ceglia is happy to return from Ireland, his lawyer told Reuters.