Gawker Blogger Fired After Post Invoking N-Word

seth a 1 Gawker Blogger Fired After Post Invoking N WordThe Observer has just learned that Gawker blogger Seth Abramovitch was dismissed after a post that invoked a racial slur many considered to be in generally poor taste. Gawker.com editor A.J. Daulerio has confirmed: “Yes, he was fired.”

Seth Abramovitch—who previously worked for Gawker Media at Defamer, before the Hollywood vertical was folded into the main site, later returning to the company under Gawker.com’s recently-ousted editor Remy Stern—wrote a post last night about Kanye West going on a rant over Twitter.

Written at 1:28 AM, the post was titled “The Top 10 Kanye West Tweets About DONDA, His New Everything Venture.

The offending passage read:

You think Tom Ford is full of himself? Kanye West shits Tom Fords for breakfast. Then he irons out the shits into cutting-edge fabrics, and frantically cuts, sews, and laces that fabric through the night and into the morning, until he has produced the most unbelievable clothes — nay, FASHION + ART = FARTSHION! — in the universe. And he calls these clothes DONDA. But he calls all that other stuff DONDA, too! DONDA will be your everything. Just you wait and see. And what is DONDA? It’s an acronym for Dis Original N***a Dresses Aight.*

Originally, the slur was not censored, nor was it given a strikethrough, as it has now. A correction below the passage was later added to read:

*DONDA is actually the name of Kanye’s deceased mother, not the acronym above, which was meant to be the kind of thing Kanye would make up in a late-night creative writing fit, but has offended many people. So sorry, to everyone who was offended, and for the confusion. Sorries all around!

Gawker editor A.J. Daulerio responded to The Observer‘s request to confirm that Mr. Abromovich was let go, but did not elaborate on whether or not it was explicitly because of the post in question, his last and most recent on the site. Mr. Abramovitch did not immediately respond to a request for comment.

Related (tangentially) is Mr. Daulerio’s first post on the site since his tenure started, in which he noted Monday afternoon:

The only sites that will be left intact amid the smoldering embers of the brief Longreads revival will be a few of your lonely cousin’s FB-shared Buzzfeed links of newborn otters singing ukulele songs with Zooey Deschanel. That’s a damn shame, because I had hoped that during my brief stint as Gawker EIC I’d finally manage to get Denton to write that “Why I Like Black Guys” essay I’ve begged him to do for two years.

Mr. Denton acknowledged the line over Twitter:

nick denton nicknotned on twitter Gawker Blogger Fired After Post Invoking N Word

Today, one supposes, would be as good a day as any to give it a shot.

With additional reporting by Kat Stoeffel.

fkamer@observer.com | @weareyourfek

Comments

1. Blowingsmoke says:

But what’s the back story? That post seems a rather lame excuse to get fired for…

1. spragued says:

Read between the lines, my friend. Abramovitch isn’t a black guy, hence Denton doesn’t like him, hence he got fired. Also, his post was tasteless and offensive.

There is no “also” to it.  The post was tastelss and offensive, and his apology was half a**.  Sounds like more then enough for me!

Stevie Wonder can see why he got fired.  His post is just as insulting, ignorant and as stupid as my “Stevie Wonder can see” comment.  Gawker relies on keeping their users engaged and keeping their advertisers and partners staying advertiser and partners.  Ya think Gawker cares about some moron who acts as a moron by using an acronym of a deceased celebrity’s mother?

He got fired because he acted, as most black people will say, like a stupid white boy who thinks it’s cool to use the N word in any capacity.

Great display of utter stupidity by Abramovitch.

1. Anon says:

Would the same thing have happened had he been black?

2. Rick says:

Your question is moot.  Most black people in the year 2012 are not that dumb.

A black person would not be dumb enough to write a statement with the level of stupidity as this moron Abramovitch.  Really do you see any black person saying something so flippin’ stupid?

This writing wouldn’t even been funny if a brother said it on HBO’s  Def Comedy Jam.  What Abramovitch wrote just isn’t even funny.

Even most white people wouldn’t write something like this idiot wrote.  He just tried to be a hip, cool, funny, street-wise white boy and he turned out to be one of those white guys trying to be hip, cool, funny and look like the joke that he is…trying to be a white boy talking like he’s black.

That shizzle on the fizzle, my grizille crap is just that.  Crap.  Most black people just hate it when white people talk like that and most white people slap the living snot out of their white children when they talk like that.

Aight?

Now if a black person took someone of any other race and written something that stupid he certainly would be fired.  You know I can be the most sarcastic blogger ever.  I take people to task every single day just like I did this moron Abramovith.  But I would never. ever write anything about anyone’s dead mother and use her initials to highlight something as stupid as what Abramovitch wrote.

And especially use the N word in the description.  I’m African American and I would even have written those words.

Never.  Make sense?

Or my bad, I used “make sense” inappropriately.  I meant to say “Aight!!!!”

When are white guys going to get it….the “N” word is off limits, forget about it. Bill Maher has used it a couple of times in jokes……I swear he does it just because he can…if he was actually funny, he wouldn’t need to try to work the N word into a joke.
    BTW the whole attempt at using DONDA as an acronym….it’s the guys Mother…duh????

3. Chris Smith says:

what’s with the verb ‘invokes’?  either dude used it or he didn’t. seems like he USED it while you guys INVOKED it.

4. DorothyP says:

How many black writers work for Denton?

5. Seth getting fired over this was RIDICULOUS. This was a satirical article, and a damn funny one at that. In fact, when I first read it on Gawker, I thought that his explanation of DONDA was actually what Kanye had come up with himself, because it sounds so much like something he’d actually think of.

Seth is obviously not a racist. He’s a good writer getting railroaded by PC speech codes. There was no malice and no intent to insult or degrade; just a parody using language that Kanye himself would use.

Of course, it’s always interesting to see a liberal get burt by the pointy end of their own dogma.

Bill Maher does it because he believes that after dating a Black female or two, he has what John Mayer infamously called a “hood pass”.  Although I have requested that the powers that be (or whomever he perceives processed his pass) revoke it, but so far I haven’t been able to find the correct supervisor to get this accomplished!  But you know how customer service is these day!

6. This is hilarious. I found Seth to be an overly sensitive little boy with reading comprehension problems. He could certainly dish it out, but if any dared to criticize him he got all pissy and whined like a petulant child. Goodbye, you unfunny clown.

1. themochi500 says:

Along those lines, maybe he can fire Jesus Diaz next…

1. themochi500 says:

that was too harsh, but I wish that guy would chill out a bit.

7. James says:

how hot is that nicou kid damn