Paper Magazine has assembled a gallery of the stars of Downton Abbey stars in and out of costume. Surprises abound! We were shocked to see the following things:
- The guy who plays “Bates” sacrifices his dignity to pose doofily when babies are around.
- “Ethel” wears a leather bodice in her off hours.
- “Robert Crawley, Earl of Grantham” goes to arty parties and gets snapped by Patrick McMullan.
- Maggie Smith is looking pretty spry!
- Really, adding a hat and taking off a little makeup (and making men shave) does not dramatically alter the way people look.
- Especially in the case of “Matthew Crawley,” who apparently has a perfect 1910s look.
- Ha ha ha, “Mr. Carson” is riding a bike!
- Okay, “Daisy” does look different, if only because she evinces the Sky Ferrera leopard-coat and undone-hair look in the 2010s.
- If people look basically the same on- and off-screen, dogs look EXACTLY the same.