Karim Camara Pushing For Assembly Resolution Honoring Whitney Houston

karimcamara Karim Camara Pushing For Assembly Resolution Honoring Whitney Houston

Karim Camara (Photo: Facebook)

Karim Camara wants his colleagues in the State Assembly to pass a resolution honoring the late singer Whitney Houston.

“I think, when we look at the life that she led, and particularly how she, in the aftermath of 9/11, she raised a tremendous amount of funds for disaster relief and for the firefighters, the first responders. I think that connects her to New York,” Mr. Camara told The Politicker. “She was able to unite people around ethnic lines, racial lines, gender, age, you name it.”

Eric Adams is currently trying to pass a similar resolution in the State Senate, but the Republican majority initially tabled his proposal due to concerns Ms. Houston may have died from a prescription drug overdose. Mr. Camara said Ms. Houston’s cause of death shouldn’t stop Albany lawmakers from honoring her.

“It’s not a matter of how she died, it’s about how she lived,” Mr. Camara said. “Thus far, to my knowledge, there’s been no final determination from the coroner, but even if there was, she’s done great work.”

Mr. Camara said it was difficult for him to identify his favorite song of Ms. Houston’s.

“It’s so hard to say. I love the song ‘How Will I Know,’ which is not traditionally a guys song, but I think it was great,” Mr. Camara said. “Also, ‘I Believe The Children Are Our Future,’ because of the work I do. I know it’s not one of her biggest hits, but it’s a great song for me.”

Mr. Camara is optimistic his resolution honoring Ms. Houston will receive the necessary number of votes in the Assembly.

“I certainly expect it to pass,” he said.

Comments

1. Csjh67 says:

Absolutely not.  This is crazy to even be on the discussion table. There are so many other people who gave and contributed in many ways after 9/11.  I understand she was a terrific singer and actress, but she is no different than many others who have passed on whether peacefully or tragically in “real” life, or the life of an entertainer.  Plealse tell me what makes her more important than some other entertainers who have given all they could, and helped in so many ways, yet did not received this same type of “honor” that is being requested. Again, it is tragic. Unexpected deaths are terrible, and they are even more terrbile when related to drug overdose. Let everyone grieve in their own way. If you are going honor one,  than all should be honored.

2. Mary says:

She was also a DRUG user who had No respect for her Daughter

3. Cappy1947 says:

No way

4. Nancyreta says:

absolutely not!!! someone abusing alcohol and drugs should not be lime lighted and honored..what does this say to our kids?

5. tom ogenschutz r says:

While very talented she lived the way she did by choice drug addicts should NOT BE HONORED

6. NYS Resident says:

NYS has a large enough financial issue, and doesnt need to spend more money honoring Houston.  She had a great musical career and inspired many.  Despite these facts, she was also a habitual drug user who made tabloid covers for drug abuse, rehab and domestic violence.  That message is what the young viewers remember and that doesnt need to be glourified.

7. NYS Resident says:

8. UPSTATE NY Resident says:

No!!! Don’t our assembly men have more important things to take care of???
    There are so many other people who gave and contributed in many ways after 9/11.  I understand she was a terrific singer and actress, but she is no different than many others who have passed on whether peacefully or tragically in “real” life, or the life of an entertainer.  Why honor someone that was a
    habitual drug user who made tabloid covers for drug abuse, rehab and domestic violence.  She does NOT deserve this honor.

9. lil wayne says:

you gotta be kidding me. now we want to honor crack heads. lets start honoring our children who are dying for this country. i dont give a shit how good she was , she is not even close to one of our fallen soldiers. they get no recognition like these so called great artist, who most of them have done nothing for this country.

10. Matt Wedgwood says:

No. Another politician getting his name in the paper is all this is.

11. caino says:

No freekin way.  If any of my reps  vote for it, they won’t get my vote next election.
    It would just prove how easily poiticians can be bought out (this time by the limelight) and how worthless their votes in the state assembly really are.

12. caino says:

13. Linder says:

NO!    Why glorify her deadly behavior!!!

14. Irish says:

No fecking way,I am a born an bred NYer and I did my own private grieving but now I’m done especially in the wake of learning she was doing drugs way before she met Bobby Brown,and lowering flags 1/2 staff that is another no no,that is and always has been for fallen soldiers and first responders,and the final nail in the coffin(no Pun intended) she wore fur coats and I never knew til after her death.

15. fred says:

absolutely no. Why should we honor and praise someone for being a crack addict. This is showing the younger generation that it’s ok to be a druggie. Nothing else should be said about her death. I have no sympathy for any of the holly wood druggies. That’s what’s wrong with the American population today is that we have gotten away from the morals that this country was built on.

16. Lparks52 says:

Absolutely NO. This honor should be for the men and women who served our country and died for our FREEDOM.

NO WAY!!!!  The way she lived??  Since When does this country bring honor to drug addicts?  is that really the message?  She may have done wonderful things too, however facts are facts.  I used her music in my wedding but, to “honor” her no WAY!!

18. Marie7773 says:

NO way..This should be for men and women who losted their lives serving our country and not women or men with drug problems

19. Timothy Browning says:

From the posts on here… I guess that’d be a big no.  The public cannot get within two blocks of her funeral but protesters can line up along the street in front of the funeral of a fallen soldier.  Where is the ethics in that?

20. Cumo1963 says:

no way  she isnt a fire fighter,  military,or police, she is a burned out drug user   boo hoo get over it

21. Michael Foy says:

Absolutely not. The real heros are those who died serving our country. They may not have sang a song but they fought for the right to sing and enjoy being free. Those who died on 9/11 trying to save others. You get  the picture. If drugs were her end, we do not need to honor her and set the wrong example. It was wrong New Jersey set flags at half , she definetly is not a hero.

22. Linder says:

All you have to do is look at the pics taken the night before she died all boozed up and dishevled with her inappropriate behavior.   God rest her tortured soul!

23. Linder says: