Port Authority Prepares to Rebuild GWB With New Toll Money

104591662 Port Authority Prepares to Rebuild GWB With New Toll Money

Fix it before it falls for a change. (Getty)

The George Washington Bridge, one of the busiest spans on the planet, just got a critical shot in the arm to keep it standing for decades to come. The Port Authority announced yesterday that the 80-year-old bridge will be receiving a half-billion dollar rehabilitation program.

The first round of work, which costs $230 million will include rehabilitating the 178th and 179th Street bus ramps, planning work for the rehabilitation of the Center Avenue and Lemoine Avenue bridges, and planning for rehabilitation work on the bridge’s lower level. The total cost is estimated between $460 and $480 million.

The funding is made possible by last year’s unpopular increase to $12 per car set by the Port Authority last August. Despite toll increases, the bridge continues to handle over 300,000 cars a day and 102 million a year.

“The George Washington Bridge is the busiest crossing in the world and represents the most critical connector of commerce in the Northeast region,” Port Authority Chairman David Samson said in a release. “Maintaining this iconic structure goes to the heart of the Port Authority’s mission, both as an engine of economic growth and as a provider of the region’s most important infrastructure.”

Additionally, the work is projected to create over 2,000 jobs and over $700 million in economic stimulus. The Port Authority also plans to set forth another project that will cost even more money and create double the amount of jobs.

The $20 million planning project will pave the way for the hugely expensive task or replacing the bridges cables, a project that will cost between $1 billion and $1.2 billion. The bridge itself originally cost $75 million, which is equivalent to just under $950 million today.

That is a lot of infrastructure.

mewing@observer.com

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President