Press Release of the Day: ‘Congressman Towns Reflects on Whitney Houston’s Death’

ed towns laughing Press Release of the Day: Congressman Towns Reflects on Whitney Houston’s DeathIn case you were wondering, Brooklyn Congressman Ed Towns has broken his weekend-long silence on the death of pop diva Whitney Houston.

This morning, Mr. Towns sent out a rambling, 557 word opus on the dearly departed R&B diva included the congressman’s thoughts on death, drugs aging, parenthood and an extensive discussion of the singer’s mother, Cissy Houston.

Congressman Towns’ press release was so epic we had no choice but to reprint it in full:

“As Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. once said, longevity has its place and certainly the quality of one’s life is more important.  We all want to live to a ripe old age and one of the more trying aspects of growing older is having to witness people passing on from this life.  As I age, I find myself going to more and more funerals.  This is just a reality of growing older.

“The most difficult thing in all of this is saying goodbye to relatively young people.  No parent wants to attend the funeral of their child.  For them, it is a heart-wrenching experience to know that your beloved daughter or son’s life has been cut short.  So when I learned of the death of Whitney Houston my mind and heart immediately went to Cissy Houston, Whitney’s mother.

“I wonder how many young fans of Whitney Houston even know about her mother’s career.  Most of her fans know more about her cousin Dionne Warwick than they do about her mother.  If you know Cissy Houston, then you would know that talent-wise, the apple did not fall far from the tree.  Emily “Cissy” Houston is a most gifted singer who has enjoyed a stellar singing career—as a back up to the likes of Otis Redding, Aretha Franklin, Elvis Pressley and many others.  She was part of a successful soul trio—the Sweet Inspirations with her niece Dee Dee Warwick and Doris Troy.

“But Cissy never forgot her gospel roots and ultimately won a Grammy Award in 1996 for Best Traditional Soul Gospel Album for her album Face to Face.  If you want to hear Cissy Houston sing, you will find her in church on Sunday mornings singing God’s praises.  So Whitney Houston was born into a world where singing was ever present.  It is not surprising that Whitney gave some of her most stirring renditions on the title track album for the motion picture The Preacher’s Wife.  If you really want to be moved by Whitney’s incredible talent, then you need to give a listen to her singing, “I Love the Lord.”

“Whitney grew up in a different time than her mother and her cousin.  While the music industry has long been associated with the fast life, by the time Whitney came along, it was moving at warp speed.  It was too easy for her to get caught up in celebrity parties and the accompanying drugs.  God only knows how Whitney became consumed.  Was her troubled marriage to Bobby Brown a factor?  Perhaps, but it was Whitney who ultimately made the choices she did.

“The list of “too young to die” musical greats is long—Billie Holiday, Janice Joplin, Sam Cooke, Jimi Hendrix, Marvin Gaye, Phyllis Hyman, Jim Morrison and, most recently, Amy Winehouse, to name a few.  Like millions of her fans, I will miss Whitney Houston and the world will be a lesser place now that her voice is silenced.  Her many recordings will continue to bless us.  I will be listening to Whitney Houston.

“But right now, my heart goes out to Cissy Houston and her family.  Cissy has lost her daughter and there is little that can comfort her now.  Only her faith in God will sustain her through this tragic experience.  I will pray her strength and dust off some of my Cissy Houston recordings.”

A few items to note here. For one, this statement about the death of Whitney Houston is mostly not about Whitney Houston. Sec0ndly, Mr. Towns is not one of those pols who flood inboxes with statements. The last one this newsroom received was back on Feb 1, and it was a salute to Black History month.

Comments

1. A Brooklyn Resident says:

I won’t elaborate on the ridiculousness of a local politician with no connection to Whitney Houston jumping onto the coattails of a media bandwagon, but I do find it necessary — since he did anyway — to point out that he (or his press officer, or whomever it was typed this masterpiece) spelled “Janice” incorrectly.

1. Sy says:

I really feel what he said was on time and relevant. Although Whitney is gone and I feel the loss as many americans do. We cannot forget about the living. Whitney fate has been decided. Praying for the loved ones Whitney leaves behind, is very much relevant.

2. Sy says:

3. Dennis07192000 says:

lighten up who really cares about how he spells the message is what is important and the message was very touching

4. Dennis07192000 says:

5. Dennis07192000 says:

6. Dennis07192000 says:

7. Dennis07192000 says:

8. Dennis07192000 says:

9. Deebhlm1970 says:

that was total ignorance what relevance does it have if the name was spelt right or wrong, obviously you knew what he was obtaining to…..that’s is what is wrong with this world today. The ignorance is what starts arguments and arguments starts fights. Can we all just let pity crap go and all get along…….My goodness

10. Deebhlm1970 says:

11. Deebhlm1970 says:

1. Ww_2722 says:

@ A Brooklyn Resident, to spell
        Janis as “Janice” is no  BIGGGGGGG deal, so lighten up and go out and do
        something good for the world, like take your dog for a walk, feed the hungry,
        or get a real job.

And Presley.

13. alisa says:

people like you…..go somewhere…..far far away.

1. A Brooklyn Resident says:

Trust me, if I could I would. And hopefully with people like me too. But I nevertheless thank you for your blessings that I should do so.

14. NO MORE Mess says:

You missed the point or did not care to see it!

2. Genensjon says:

It was moving and thoughtful. It is much more touching than some of the inarticulate tributes I’ve seen.

3. Genensjon says:

4. Genensjon says:

5. Arsphd says:

I found this to be quite coherent and reflecting the views of many musical fans.  Frankly I don’t know what your gripe is all about.

6. Arsphd says:

7. Dennis07192000 says:

mr  towns i am just a middle aged cowboy from east texas. Your words about whitney and her mother are healing. i would like to know a man like you the world could sure use a few more of you

8. Dennis07192000 says:

9. Dennis07192000 says:

10. Harveycassunfra says:

mr towns however any word you misse or whoever what a blessed statement you gave for Ms.Cissy I will forver rememner your statement be blessed

1. Ladymystique711 says:

I totally agree with Mr. Towns…. Its true too many of our artists are gone too soon!  Thank you for being concerned about Ms. Houston’s family, friends and fans at this time of sorrow~

Mystique

2. Ladymystique711 says:

Mystique

3. Ladymystique711 says:

Mystique

11. Harveycassunfra says:

12. Frank says:

seriously. Go away.

1. LadyDee says:

I agree with everything,  said by the congressman, i know the life and times of the Houston’s and believe me when i say her mother is hurting, their souls feel ever so empty…But i know as so many of us do! God makes no mistakes, all we can do as fans is to continue to uplift her family in prayer and listen to the voice that will never die….Whittney’s.

13. Frank says:

seriously. Go away.

14. Frank says:

seriously. Go away.

15. Frank says:

seriously. Go away.

16. Frank says:

seriously. Go away.

17. Masonarchard says:

every thing the congressman said is true and has great significance, God bless the Houston family.

18. Masonarchard says:

19. Masonarchard says:

20. Masonarchard says:

21. Masonarchard says:

22. Masonarchard says:

23. yeah right says:

This is nothing more than a chance to capitalize on Ms Houstons death . VERY CHEESY !

1. sadlady says:

I was already in a depressed state when i heard the news of Whitney’s death.  I am now even more so depressed and our lives seem to almost alike in alot of ways.  I’m fighting hard not to end up the same way, but right now everything seems so gloomy and dark.  I wish there were a few more encouraging words to help my battle.  I use to be full of life, now everything including my life blood seems to be draining from me.  I beg for no one to be rude or mean but just some ray of hope or light.

24. yeah right says:

25. yeah right says:

26. Flyblugirl says:

Very well said and the man is speaiking truth.

27. Snowshoe5603 says:

Rambling? Epic? This was anything but. It was a concise, coherent comment on the loss that Whitney’s mother has to bear. STFU, Dave.

28. Deebhlm1970 says:

yes indeed it’s call matured people that we really need on earth

29. Deebhlm1970 says:

yes indeed it’s call matured people that we really need on earth

30. Deebhlm1970 says:

yes indeed it’s call matured people that we really need on earth

31. I am very confused as to how this is “rambling.”  You are very disrespectful, sir. This man merely shared his feelings.

32. I am very confused as to how this is “rambling.”  You are very disrespectful, sir. This man merely shared his feelings.

33. I am very confused as to how this is “rambling.”  You are very disrespectful, sir. This man merely shared his feelings.

34. I am very confused as to how this is “rambling.”  You are very disrespectful, sir. This man merely shared his feelings.

35. Diva Fighter says:

I too remember Whitney Houston and play her music forever but yes we can’t forget her mom Cissy Houston it was a great honor for my friend on my 25th birthday to hand me a book about Cissy Houston and her family I still have it till this day and truly a remarkable lady Cissy is and I thank God she shared her daughter with us. I always will say to the Houston family thank you so much for bringing your gifts and your family to us and now Whitney is singing with the angels of Heaven. We truly will miss her and we never forget her as huge fans. As we mourn and cry for our beloved friend and the voice to our generation her spirit and her music lives on. Thank you Cissy Houston for your voice and your sweet spirit to Whitney brothers and mist importantly her daughter we love you and truly you all do matter more than you think.
    Your forever fan.

36. Diva Fighter says:

Your forever fan.

37. Vinylventure says:

Well done Mr. Towns!! Thank you for one of the things that so many have not displayed so far, common decency. For also remembering her mother. Can any of us fathom what her poor mother is going through. I still feel for her daughter as well. We could definately use more people like you in the world Mr Towns!

38. Vinylventure says:

39. Vinylventure says:

40. Tryst says:

I was waiting for the politicians to come out and put their spin on this. Family values, faith, etc etc. It’s innapropriate. While the words my hit home for many.. make no mistake. This is a political diatribe that is meant to line up votes. He has no other reason to release a statement like this.. filled with every single point that politics today are toting as the deciding voting factors. It’s not just innapropriate, it’s exploitive. If you want to be a nodding sheep to the manipulative jargon.. go right ahead. There was little about Whitney in comparison to what was in that statement that polished his own mirror of what he wants you to know about him. Shameful. Not everyone is ignorant.

1. A Brooklyn Resident says:

Common sense in this thread — finally! Never mind that he blows their (our) taxpayer dollars on one of the most costly financed car leases in the entire Legislature. He wrote stuff about Whitney Houston (an admittedly wonderful performer, whose death was very sad), so that must make him great.

41. Tryst says:

42. Tryst says:

43. Mr. Towns has conveyed how family feels during any loss – a mother losing a daughter, before her time. And reminds us of the amazing talent belonging to Cissy Houston. However with her faith she will find a comfort many do not know. My prayers are with the family and I will continue to be blessed with their song.

44. Mr. Towns has conveyed how family feels during any loss – a mother losing a daughter, before her time. And reminds us of the amazing talent belonging to Cissy Houston. However with her faith she will find a comfort many do not know. My prayers are with the family and I will continue to be blessed with their song.

45. Mr. Towns has conveyed how family feels during any loss – a mother losing a daughter, before her time. And reminds us of the amazing talent belonging to Cissy Houston. However with her faith she will find a comfort many do not know. My prayers are with the family and I will continue to be blessed with their song.

46. Jerry Ritfeld says:

i will never stop to listen to the beautifull songs of Whitney, Cissy and Dione, but the most important thing is that i will nevr stop listen to God’s words.

47. Jerry Ritfeld says:

48. Jerry Ritfeld says:

49. Jerry Ritfeld says:

50. ms p says:

Mr Towns,
    Thank You, I am also in agreement with everything you have said.  I also know where Cissy started, and who she is.  The point of the matter is that people must put God first, and keep him first in everything  they do, and not allow the Hollywood Hype destroy them when they get involved in the industy.  Again my heart goes out to the family of Whitney.

51. ms p says:

Mr Towns,

52. ms p says:

Mr Towns,

53. ms p says:

Mr Towns,

54. Beena40 says:

He said it best..Its all about Cissy Houston and Bobbi Kristina.. a mother has lost her daughter and a child has lost her mother.. PRAYER ..PRAYER..PRAYER..IS WHAT THEY NEED..RESPECT THIER TIME OF EXTREME SORROW…LIFT THEM UP IN PRAYER!!!

55. Beena40 says:

56. Beena40 says:

57. MargaretK says:

I was intoduced to Cissy Houston by a friend who played “Sweet Honey In The Well”. He also let us hear Etta James for the first time. Black music didn’t usually make it across the river from New Jersey in those days. We didn’t know what we were missing.
     It was a wonderful night.

58. Beena40 says:

59. Kdstarbuck says:

Well spoken, but a shame to see Mr. Presley’s name spelled incorrectly.

60. Kdstarbuck says:

Well spoken, but a shame to see Mr. Presley’s name spelled incorrectly.

61. Kdstarbuck says:

Well spoken, but a shame to see Mr. Presley’s name spelled incorrectly.

62. Kdstarbuck says:

Well spoken, but a shame to see Mr. Presley’s name spelled incorrectly.

63. “…Mr. Towns sent out a rambling, 557 word opus…”  I didn’t think it was rambling at all – it was smooth and clear.  I wish our congressman was writing relevant pieces to us! I enjoyed reading this.  But then he’s an old school guy. Makes a big big difference.
    Kathryn E. Portland Oregon

64. “…Mr. Towns sent out a rambling, 557 word opus…”  I didn’t think it was rambling at all – it was smooth and clear.  I wish our congressman was writing relevant pieces to us! I enjoyed reading this.  But then he’s an old school guy. Makes a big big difference.
    Kathryn E. Portland Oregon

65. “…Mr. Towns sent out a rambling, 557 word opus…”  I didn’t think it was rambling at all – it was smooth and clear.  I wish our congressman was writing relevant pieces to us! I enjoyed reading this.  But then he’s an old school guy. Makes a big big difference.
    Kathryn E. Portland Oregon

66. Catchapp says:

david freelander…you’re kind of a jerk

67. Catchapp says:

david freelander…you’re kind of a jerk

68. Vanburensharon says:

I am glad that I was around to hear this beautiful annoited voice from God as he bless Whitney with his gift. I would like to take this time to say Cissy, Bobbi Christina, Dionnne, Aretha, Clyde, and to all her brothers my prayers go out to you and I trust you will understand the voice of God calling her home was greater than the voice he gave her. She bless us so and now she has answer to his voice and she left us all in body, but not in Spirit. God does not worry about what we do he only sees who we are.

69. NO MORE Mess says:

Brooklyn resident, sad you saw only a spell check error and no content in this statement.  He made it plain…Whitney made the choices no matter how solid her foundation base might have been.

70. Cyababy007 says:

I am sadden by Whitney Houston death but their is  a lesson to be learned , which is continue to love on our family and friend who are and dear to us. Stop judging and show some love and  compassion no matter how many bridges they have burned with us.  Mr. Towns statement was awesome and needed at this time because her mother was her biggest fan and she loved her daughter by all means necessary that’s what a real mother does .My prayers are with the Houston family…

71. Brittany says:

Very well-written

72. Carlton says:

Thanks for the wonderful words.May God bless Ms.Cissy Houston and the family.R.I.P. Whitney. I will Always love you.

73. Phuggins says:

Beautifully written.  My heart goes out to her mother also.

74. Pinkey_1962 says:

I always love Whitney and will always.  My prayers goes out to her daughter and mother.  I m hurting for the lost of our sweet Whitney

75. Ww_2722 says:

Dear Mr. Towns—-
     thanks for sharing those words about Whitney, DeDe and Cissy.  Your enlightment on the  family connection was most helpful for me. Your words of inspiration were a confort to my soul and I do pray that the Houston family will find healing in them as well.  Thank you, and if you are on Facebook, I will search for your words of healing.

76. Rhonda Dearmas says:

I have never read anything so heartwarming as this. I pray for Whitney’s mother and daughter. She will be greatly greatly missed.

77. Rhonda Dearmas says:

78. Romcallis says:

re: not about whitney houston. Whitney Houston is dead. You have to console the living. You can’t do anything for Whitney now except give her a nice funeral. The mother and daughter are deeply grieving right now so the Congressman is right to comfort Cissy.

79. Romcallis says:

80. Sgt Mamasan says:

Whitney made her choice and left behind a loving family…they need the kind words Mr. Towns is offering up here.  And Cissy…my heart is broken for you as her mother, and for the world because your daughter’s amazing voice was silenced by a bad choice.  God blesss…

81. Sgt Mamasan says:

82. Sgt Mamasan says:

83. Butterpekan47 says:

Whitney Houston has done what we all have to do..passed on… according to the scriptures we know not the day,time, nor the hour…each one of has a “ticket” so to speak that one day unknown to us , will have be punched in… Have you lived your life following God’s will??… Dont judge Whitney…pray that her soul was saved… PRAY that her mother and daughter will someday be comforted by GOD’s promise!!!  If Whitney only knew how much she was really loved…she wouldnt of gave two cents about what this cruel society thinks about. In a few short weeks silence will befall her untimely death and society will find something else to latch their hooks into just like a parasite…. GOD bless you Cissy Houston and Bobbi Kristina. Cissy is a warrior for Christ and their is no doubt that GOD will comfort her and see her through this trial and tribulation.  Im praying for this family knowing that the FATHER will lift them above this storm.

84. Kimballdianna says:

Another young singer has gone to soon. Why , such a great lost. My heart goes out to her daughter. I only hope she will find comfort in the loving arms of her Grandmother. Lets pray that Whitney finds   peace in heaven. God Bless you Whitney for the memories, you will be greatly missed.

85. Kimballdianna says:

86. Kimballdianna says:

87. NO MORE Mess says:

Mr Freelander, Rambling is not the appropriate intro for this article.  Pretty clear and to the point.

88. NO MORE Mess says:

89. NO MORE Mess says:

90. Pamnorwood63 says:

I love Whitney Houston music. my heart goes out to her family. Pam from Tacoma Wa

91. Pamnorwood63 says:

92. Debraenglish1 says:

mr towns, it could’nt have been express any better, i enjoyed  and appreciate such a reading so pure thank you and have continued blessings……

93. A MOTHER LEFT TO CARRY ON HER DAUGHTER’S LEGACY AND CONTINUE HER OWN.

94. Free Press...Free Tweets says:

Rambling?  Mr. Freelander has freely misrepresented this very fine tribute to a wonderful singer.  Mr. Freelander needs to rewrite his opening paragraph, go back to journalism school, or simply just stop writing.  Thank you, Mr. Towns for speaking the truth in love…something the media is mostly incapable of doing in matters like this.  Whitney had a voice, but she was also a broken woman who chose a wrong path a long time ago.  By the mercy of God, we will be joined with her one day in heaven–and also to “journalists” like Mr. Freelander too–who will receive mercy for their sins.

95. karen says:

Like i was telling my kids, we all feel bad for Whitney, but when someone dies the pain is about those they left behind.  I don’t ever want to know the pain that Cissy is going thru right now.  I pray her strength in God.  Her faith will help her heal.  She won’t get over it, she just needs to get thru it.

96. Debbiewooten15256 says:

Judging by most of the comments given here, David Freelander  is no judge of good writing so he probably wont be writing long. I also found this to be an appropriate and heart felt statement.

97. Harold Johnson says:

Great words congressman! Far from “557 rambling words on the dearly departed” but rather a true melancholy of what has, does and will happen to anyone (reason notwithstanding) who doesn’t keep “balanced on the scale of life” in the entertainment business.

98. Avonlea77 says:

did David Freedlander read the same statement.  it was wonderfully thoughtful and relevant.  thank you Congressman Ed Towns

99. Kathy Kennedy Tucker says:

TO THE HOUSTON AND BROWN FAMILY
      WILL  MISS  YOU WHIT, YOUR  MUSIC  WILL   FOREVER BE IN THE DEPTHS OF MY
     HEART. THATS  JUST HOW FAR YOUR MUSIC  TOUCHED ME.” I WILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU”. I WANT SAY GOODBYE: ONLY SEE WHEN I GET THERE!

LOVE   TO THE HOUSTON  N  BROWN  FAMILY .
     MY OUR GOD CONTINUE TO COMFORT

YOU N YOUR GRAND DAUGHTER

100. sadlady says:

Sadlady, please don’t be sad.  I pray that you find strength to go on one day at a time.  I know times are hard for so many people right now, but trust me, each day you wake up, it’s another day that is a gift to you from God.  I will also pray that you discover your purpose for the remaining days of your life, for the discovery of your purpose will bring you JOY!  The joy of knowing your life counts.  The Creator did not make a mistake when you were born and you have something you must accomplish because you are still here.  Don’t be sad!  If no one else cares or is praying for you, know that I am and I know Jesus is.  Hang in there!  The best is yet to come if you just believe and hold on.  I know how you feel.  Stay strong.  You are precious in the eyes of God…and you are a gift. I think you are pretty brave to leave a post like that, which indicates that you do want to live on. I don’t know you, but I am praying for you…right now and will continue to pray for you.

~ Peace and Blessings.

2. Johnsoncheryl52 says:

dear sad lady you are not  alone GOD heard your cry please do not give up please take   this time and look to him he is ready to help you right now . please i beggggggggg you ask GOD to help you not man.

101. Ww_2722 says:

@David Freedlander, what’s your malfunction? “Mr. Towns
    sent out a rambling, 557 word opus on the dearly departed R&B diva…” I am
    so glad found it a point to reprint this “epic”  news release in full rather than you trying to
    use your kindness to paraphrase it. So thanks for allowing me to read these
    heartfelt words from a politician. I found no low hanging fruit in Mr. Town’s
    news release, only compassion, concern, and thoughtfulness. As a
    journalist/writer have you  any words of
    comfort for Whitney’s  3Fs (FAMILY,
    FRIENDS, and FANS) yet?

102. Shano says:

Epic rambling????  What does that mean?  Who is this Freelander guy anyway?  Maybe he should be looking for another profession.

103. Shano says:

104. Champagne says:

David YOU are a JERK!!! You do not know the difference between a well written letter and rambling as you call it!!! You might want to seek a different profession, because this is not the one for you!!! Dumb Ass!!!!

105. Traecee says:

What a sincere way of honoring Whitney and Cissy Houston.

106. rigamore says:

The author of this article is a profound idiot. What F’N rambling? 2bitazz jerk!

107. Yolanda says:

No words can described a parent losing a child, or a child losing their mother.  It’s so sad, really sad.  I’m just praying for God to comfort them and give them strength to get through this.

108. godling says:

Ms. Joplin’s first name was spelled Janis.  Dave, you are clueless.  I need a job, and I could do yours MUCH better.

109. Lmichelle Bonner says:

Whitney is one of a kind and she is one of my most favorite phenomenal black singer ever. My heart goes out to everyone that ever loved her. My heart especially goes out to her daughter Bobbi Kristina. To her mother, yes we all want to go before any of our children goes first, but God knows best and it was her time. I rejoice in the Lord and I know that Whitney don’t have to suffer no more and that she is in a better place.

110. Lmichelle Bonner says:

111. mary Criss says:

I too lost my oldest handsome son to the fast violent world of drugs and distrust. As Whitney’s mother tried so did my husband and I. We lived the American middle class life, siblings college graduates, no history of drugs among us. Why, they leave their homes with love and Gods blessings and get so caught up in the fast lane. My heart aches for Cissy Houston, Bobbi Chritina, even Bobby Brown, may Whitney rest in peace.
    Love, the Charlie Criss Family!!!

112. mary Criss says:

Love, the Charlie Criss Family!!!

I am middle aged and Ed Towns was a Brooklyn politician when I was a kid.  He is ONLY good for rhetoric and BS, so who cares what he has to say about this or any other subject.  With the state of our country, he takes taxpayer time to write a tribute to Whitney Houston. Not sponsor a bill, but a tribute to Whitney Houston.  For those outside of Brookly, that’s why the author took note of the tribute.  THIS is what he chooses to speak up about. WASTE

115. Fwhitlock says:

Mr. Freedlander, You know I could say a lot about some of your rambles, but this is neither the time nor the place.  We hope that your family will never have to experience such a tragic loss.  With all the tweeting, facebook etc. you would think that people such as David Freedlander would have more time to have feelings.  When will you and the likes of you learn that everything does not derive from a textbook?   Words were created to convey the thoughts of man (woman), to get a point across.   Mr. Towns conveyed what he felt in his heart not in his mind.

116. j says:

Thank you, the people responding with positive comments.  Everything the Congressman said is approprate and uplifting for people in general who have lost love ones.  If we, as people, could be more loving and caring, this world would be a better place.

As for as the writer, IT’S ALL ABOUT THE MONEY TO BE MADE WITH ARTICLES LIKE THIS.

Prayers to the family in their time of sorrow and Thank You everyone for sending prayers to the family.

117. Of course it was mostly about Cici Houston! He is an older man who can identify with being an older person and watching younger people die in front of you. He can relate to Cici because of their shared age and so he feels sad for her. It was heart felt and much appreciated, at least by me.

118. Of course it was mostly about Cici Houston! He is an older man who can identify with being an older person and watching younger people die in front of you. He can relate to Cici because of their shared age and so he feels sad for her. It was heart felt and much appreciated, at least by me.