The dog days of summer are upon us, but there’s a bright spot gleaming like Gatsby’s green light from the West side of Manhattan. Google Offers, which apparently still exists, has teamed up with Boingo to provide free Wifi in six subway stations this summer. Can you imagine the awesomeness of being able to check your email while waiting on a sticky, rat-ridden platform for the ever-elusive M train?
Google, you are a benign overlord indeed. But unfortunately for East siders and those in the outer boroughs, all of the Wifi-equipped stations are on the West side of Manhattan:
- A, C, E station at Eighth Avenue and West 14th Street
- L station at Eighth Avenue and West 14th Street
- C, E station at Eighth Avenue and West 23rd Street
- 1, 2, 3 station at Seventh Avenue and West 14th Street
- F, M station at Sixth Avenue and West 14th Street
- L station at Sixth Avenue and West 14th Street
Actually, though Google is advertising this as “six NYC subway stations,” the list shows that it’s more like four, since the A, C, E and L trains are at the same 8th Ave station, as are the F, M and L at Sixth Ave.
But, all good things must come to an end sometime: Google and Boingo’s goodnatured Wifi experiment expires on September 7th.