Cuomo Says Locked-Out Con Ed Workers Returning To Work In Anticipation Of Storm

andrew cuomo 5 Cuomo Says Locked Out Con Ed Workers Returning To Work In Anticipation Of StormAfter weeks of being criticized for not doing enough to spur along negotiations between Con Edison and its more than 8,000 locked out workers, Andrew Cuomo has quickly gotten involved.

Yesterday he wrote a letter to the Public Service Commission asking them to bring the two sides together–something that they ultimately arranged to do.

And now Gov. Cuomo has announced that the lock out is over, for the moment, with some workers returning to work in anticipation of a major storm threatening to bear down on New York City. 

“Due to the potential safety issues and emergency response needs that may result from the storm, earlier this morning I met with the leadership of Con Ed and Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers of America. At my request and in the interest of the safety of New Yorkers, Con Ed and Local 1-2 have agreed that the necessary personnel will immediately return to work to prepare for the possibility of an approaching storm and will remain on the job for the duration of any emergency and any following repairs,” Mr. Cuomo said.  “Con Ed and Local 1-2 will continue to work aggressively to reach a full contract agreement. I want to thank President Harry Farrell of Local 1-2 of the Utility Workers of America, President of the International Union of UAW Michael Langford, and Con Edison President and CEO Kevin Burke for coming together and putting the interests of the people first.”

And now, it has just come over the transom that Mr. Cuomo is planning a 12:30 news conference to address the lockout. Stay tuned.

Article continues below
More from Politics
STAR OF DAVID OR 'PLAIN STAR'?   If you thought "CP Time" was impolitic, on July 2 Donald Trump posted a picture on Twitter of a Star of David on top of a pile of cash next to Hillary Clinton's face. You'd think after the aforementioned crime stats incident (or after engaging a user called "@WhiteGenocideTM," or blasting out a quote from Benito Mussolini, or...) Trump would have learned to wait a full 15 seconds before hitting the "Tweet" button. But not only was the gaffe itself bad, the attempts at damage control made the BP oil spill response look a virtuoso performance.  About two hours after the image went up on Trump's account, somebody took it down and replaced it with a similar picture that swapped the hexagram with a circle (bearing the same legend "Most Corrupt Candidate Ever!"!). Believe it or not, it actually got worse from there. As reports arose that the first image had originated on a white supremacist message board, Trump insisted that the shape was a "sheriff's star," or "plain star," not a Star of David. And he continued to sulk about the coverage online and in public for days afterward, even when the media was clearly ready to move on. This refusal to just let some bad press go would haunt him later on.
Donald Trump More Or Less Says He’ll Keep On Tweeting as President