In a perfect world–you know, the one where we don’t spend all day analyzing our feelings about exactly why it’s so disgusting to offer $10,000 for certain un-touched photos of a certain someone’s certain magazine shoot–our bookshelves would be filled with the kind of diversity not found on a certain someone’s TV show.
But it’s not, so we have to take what we can get: A female-dominated list of top fiction/non-fiction books checked out of the New York Public Library, where five of the entries are comprised of E.L. James (two books), Danielle Steel (ditto) and Sheryl Sandberg.
From amNew York:
Top Circulating Adult Fiction Titles in 2013
1. “Gone Girl” by Gillian Flynn
2. “The Casual Vacancy” by J. K. Rowling
3. “Inferno” by Dan Brown
4. “And the Mountains Echoed” by Khaled Hosseini
5. “Revenge Wears Prada: The Devil Returns” by Lauren Weisberger
6. “Until the End of Time” by Danielle Steel
7. “Fifty Shades of Grey” by E. L. James
8. “A Wanted Man” by Lee Child
9. “Fifty Shades Freed” by E L James
10. “The Sins of the Mother” by Danielle Steel
Top Circulating Adult Nonfiction Titles in 2013
1. “Lean In: Women, Work, and the Will to Lead” by Sheryl Sandberg
2. “Let’s Explore Diabetes” with Owls by David Sedaris
3. “My Beloved World” by Sonia Sotomayor
4. “Steve Jobs” by Walter Isaacson
5. “The Power of Habit: Why We Do What We Do in Life and Business” by Charles Duhigg
6. “Thinking, Fast and Slow” by Daniel Kahneman
7. “Salt, Sugar, Fat: How the Food Giants Hooked Us” by Michael Moss
8. “Bossypants” by Tina Fey
9. “Proof of Heaven: A Neurosurgeon’s Journey into the Afterlife” by Eben Alexander, M.D.
10. “Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail” by Cheryl Strayed
We can’t wait for next year, when a certain someone’s certain memoir thingie starts earning its certain-figure book deal and Proof of Heaven off the list.