Teen Suffers Minor Burns When iPhone Catches Fire


Yikes! (Photo: Provided)

Yikes! (Photo: Provided)

We guess this is what happens when you leave too many apps open: a middle schooler is claiming that her iPhone ignited in her back pants pocket and caused her minor burns. The eighth grader said that it happened during class Friday in a Maine school.

According to the New York Daily News, the student, 13, was understandably panicked when the phone “popped” and started burning. Her classmates then rushed toward her to help. The school’s principal said she took off her pants and started rolling on the floor because she thought she was also on fire. Luckily, the phone dropped out of her pocket, although all the smoked caused a commotion.

The incident is currently under investigation by the local fire department. Principal Jeffrey Rodman told the newspaper that the student is expected to be back in school today and is relieved that nothing worse happened:

“We definitely avoided something that could have been a lot worse,” he said. “We’re very grateful the girl is OK and the quick response from the students and the staff minimized what potentially could have caused a lot more damage.”

This would have never happened with a Samsung Galaxy.

(Via Seacoast Online)