Teen's Samsung Phone Bursts Into Flames While She's Sleeping


Crispy. (Photo: Fox 4)

Crispy. (Photo: Fox 4)

A Texas teen’s phone bursted into flames and melted her pillow in what sounds like a very relatable situation.

Like all of us, 13-year-old Ariel Tolfree is addicted to her cell phone, so she keeps it tucked under her pillow while she’s sleeping. But, last week, the battery on her Samsung Galaxy S4 apparently overheated and bursted into flames in the middle of the night.

Although Tolfree smelled the melting plastic, she initially didn’t think much of it and went back to sleep. It was only when the smell became more prominent that she became alarmed. ”The whole phone melted,” said her dad, Thomas, to FOX 4 Dallas. “The plastic, the glass. You can’t even really tell that it was a phone.”

“We have a reasonable expectation that the products we buy are going to be safe,” he added.

A Samsung spokesperson said that the battery the girl was using was a replacement part and not the original part. The company, however, will replace the girl’s phone, mattress and even the pillow.