An Illinois woman made the fatal decision of rescuing her cell phone from her burning home.
Last night, 44-year-old Wendy Rybolt fled from her home that was on fire, but decided to go back inside to grab her phone. Police were called to the scene and tried rescuing her.
The smoke, however, proved to be too tough for them so they had to retreat. Firefighters arrived on the scene soon after and they tried rescuing her, but Rybolt died from smoke inhalation.
Although we’re all guilty of being addicted to our phones, this should probably serve as a lesson that it’s not worth endangering our lives over.
“Material things can be replaced. You never want to go back in to retrieve anything. In this, there was heavy smoke. Carbon monoxide will get you, and you may not even know it,” a fire official said to WEEK-TV. Scary!