German Artists Behind the Brooklyn Bridge Stunt Voluntarily Return Missing Flags

(Photo via @nypost Instagram)

(Photo via @nypost Instagram)

The flags that were swiped from atop the Brooklyn Bridge and replaced by white surrender versions back in July–resulting in a severely unamused Borough President, scrambling police officers and parody Twitter accounts–have been returned to US soil.

Allowing New York’s finest to bask in the glory of yet another mystery solved, Mischa Leinkauf and Matthias Wermke, the German artists behind the ultimately harmless project, handed the flags over voluntarily to the US Embassy in Germany on Thursday.

A US law enforcement official told ABC News, “They returned the flags to the embassy. There has been no determination on charges.”

After the stunt caused the NYPD to collectively scratch their heads for weeks, Mischa Leinkauf and Matthias Wermke came forward earlier this month, explaining on their website that the project was nothing but a tribute to John Roebling, the German engineer who designed the bridge. Significantly, July 22–the date the stunt took place–was also the 145th anniversary of Roebling’s death, although not a single New Yorker seemed to make this connection at the time.

The artists, who installed bundles of balloons on the very same bridge back in 2007, told the New York Times, “From our Berlin background, we were a little surprised that it got the reaction it did.”

While Mr. Leinkauf and Mr. Wermke have yet to be questioned, one wonders whether officials will return the courtesy and give them back their bleached interpretations of Old Glory.