John Oliver has often embraced technology on his HBO series Last Week Tonight—the show’s account sends out fake “sponsored tweets” several times a week.
But on last night’s show, Mr. Oliver proved that his knowledge of social networks goes far beyond Twitter.
As part of a segment about how pennies have basically become worthless, Mr. Oliver talked about the many ways people waste the little brown coins, such as by throwing them in the garbage.
Another one of the British funnyman’s arguments against the penny was an old Reddit thread called “I put a penny in my butt and now I can’t get it out.”
“Little known fact, that’s actually how Daniel Day-Lewis prepared to play Abraham Lincoln,” Mr. Oliver deadpanned.
User Penny_4_Ur_Thoughts began the newly unearthed thread on June 30, 2011. He wrote that he put the penny in the fridge for a few hours before inserting it, and asked for tips about removing the Lincoln log.
Of course, the thread devolved into a whole bunch of dirty coin puns. Here’s a sampling:
- “You should coin that phrase.”
- “I don’t think I want to have the kind of day where I can shit on a dime.”
- “I got 99 problems but a penny stuck up my ass ain’t one.”
- “I wouldn’t bother with a doctor. They’ll just ask you if you’ve seen any change in your stool.”
- “I’m still wondering why OP put a penny in his ass. It just doesn’t make any cents.”
- “How money times are we going to resort to pun threads, they’re a dime a dozen!”
Sadly the thread is now archived, so people who heard about it from watching Last Week Tonight can’t post new penny butt jokes.
On second thought, that’s probably a good thing.