So you still haven’t pulled the trigger on those pesky New Year’s plans? With an inevitable Uber surge and the “Bridge and Tunnel” crowd plotting its inebriated descent on city streets (remember Santacon?), why not spend this New Year’s in the most far-flung corners of the earth? We enlisted Erina Pindar, managing director of luxury travel agency SmartFlyer to round up the chicest destinations to ring in 2016. “For New Year’s Eve, we like both end of the spectrums – either go to the end of the world where no one can find you, or celebrate in the best scene possible,” Ms. Pindar said.
Trust us, It’s impossible to have a bad New Year’s if you’re anywhere on this list. So start packing:
- Amanpulo: Jet to this private island resort on Palawan Island in the Philippinesand Ohhhm your way into the new year
- Eden Rock, St Barths: From Gisele to Rihanna to Beyonce and Jay-Z, there’s a reason the world’s most fabulous partiers flock to this luxe island. Book the Rockstar Villa and be prepared to party like one.
- Plaza Athenee, Paris: There is never a wrong time to visit the City of Light. Book a signature suite with a view of the Eiffel Tower and spend New Year’s clinking champagne over room service.
- Miami Edition: From the beach to the clubs, Miami has it all for a festive New Year’s getaway. Ian Schrager’s year-old property, Edition features a basement disco complete with bowling, ice-skating and top DJ’s.
- Park Hyatt, Sydney: Elegantly located on the waterfront with views of the Sydney Opera House, this contemporary residence provides the perfect venue for a New Year’s Eve down under.
- Mandarin Oriental, Hong Kong: The hotel’s 10 restaurants and bars have enough Michelin stars to light its own galaxy. This famous hotel overlooking Victoria Harbor has it all for the foodie’s New Year’s celebration.
- Nihiwatu, Sumba: Perched on the dramatic coastline of Indonesia’s Sumba Island, this tranquil corner of the earth has all the trapping of a peaceful New Year’s filled with sun, sand and surf.
- Ellerman House, Cape Town: Ring in the New Year in the cosmopolitan city of Cape Town. At this stately guesthouse reminiscent of the Edwardian-era, guests can take in evening cocktails by the pool or usher in 2016 among wildlife at nearby Table Mountain National Park
- Faena Hotel, Buenos Aires: Tango the night away at this super-stylish hotel set in the middle of lively Buenos Aires.
- Bahia Vik, Jose Ignacio: The “Montauk of Uruguay,” Jose Ignacio is the destination of choice for designer Gabriela Hearst and the global tribe of Gypsets seeking low key beachside revelry. At this art-focused modernist Mecca, stay in suites in the main building or in one of the beachfront bungalows.