Just how historically accurate is AMC’s critically acclaimed series Mad Men? Very.
In June, The New York Times Magazine‘s Alex Witchell called the show’s art direction "almost fetishistically accurate." New York Magazine’s Logan Hill actually went so far as to examine the books behind one character’s desk on the magazine’s Vulture blog. Read More
Plans and passions are clashing at Ground Zero.
A rancorous debate about what constitutes an appropriate commemoration of the Sept. 11 attacks has been rumbling for weeks. The row is focused on two institutions that will augment the main memorial at the World Trade Center site. The International Freedom Center (I.F.C.) and the Drawing Read More
The absolutely most luscious thing about working in an office is sharing the wealth of magazine subscriptions. Speaking of: The Transom purchased, actually paid for, a subscription to Hamptons magazine more than a month ago, and it has yet to arrive. Paging Jason Binn, your order fulfillment department is making The Transom very, very unhappy. Read More
Who are the nonvoters? In the recent Presidential election, 59.9 percent of the eligible voters turned out. What about the other 40.1 percent? Extensive surveys of Americans by the Gosman Report show that this group includes:
People who like Bush, but not enough to vote for him.
People who like Kerry, but not enough Read More
Arthur Miller’s 1964 After
the Fall is one of those troubled plays that has been rarely staged and
widely discussed. An artistic failure when it launched the unfulfilled dream of
a Lincoln Center Repertory Company in 1964, the play became notorious for Mr.
Miller’s characterization of his ex-wife Marilyn Monroe in the central role of Read More
Despite having boarded her train at 5 a.m. that morning in Washington, D.C., Rosemary Dillard’s linen jacket was still creaseless, her carriage professional and crisp, as she walked down the train platform at Princeton Junction on the morning of June 4.
Ms. Dillard dared to hope that the F.B.I. would clarify the timeline in the Read More
Perp Leaves Few Clues,
But Her Shoes Were No. 9
It’s one thing to shoplift from a store when it’s open for business. But it’s completely unacceptable to do so when it’s closed for inventory, as Janine Dray, a women’s apparel boutique at 1021 Madison Avenue, was on Sept. 2.
The incident occurred Read More
“Oh, my God.”
That was Rudolph Giuliani’s first thought when he was told on Monday morning, Nov. 12, that an airliner had plunged into the Rockaway area of Queens, as he echoed the feelings of shock, fear and grief which immediately swept the city. Almost two months to the day and time of the Sept. Read More
There goes the neighborhood! (Again.) The news that the Roundabout Theater Company has sold off the name of the historic Selwyn Theater–its new home on Broadway–to American Airlines is only the beginning of the corporate end.
“Let’s take in a show at the American Airlines Theater” lacks a certain something–call it magic–but let our righteousness Read More