The Federal Bureau of Investigation held a press briefing today in which they released photo and video footage of two individuals suspected of being involved in Monday’s deadly bombing of the Boston Marathon.
“Today we are enlisting the public’s help to identify the two suspects,” F.B.I. Special Agent Richard DesLauriers said at the conference.
“After a very detailed analysis of photo, video and other evidence, we are releasing photos of these two suspects. They are identified as ‘Suspect 1′ and ‘Suspect 2.’ They appear to be associated.”
Earlier this evening, President Barack Obama addressed the nation about the deadly bombing of the Boston Marathon. And, while extending his condolences, the president urged the American public to avoid jumping to conclusions—terrorism, unmentioned by Mr. Obama, seemingly being the most obvious—as the devastation is investigated.
“We still do not know who did this or why and people shouldn’t jump to conclusions before we have all of the facts,” Mr. Obama explained. “But, make no mistake, we will get to the bottom of this. And we will find out who did this. We’ll find out why they did this. Any responsible individuals—any responsible groups—will feel the full weight of justice.”
As more details of the deadly explosions in Boston are released, the running community is slowly reacting to the shocking events.
Mary Wittenberg, the President and Chief Executive Officer of New York Road Runners, issued a statement lamenting the devastation and its impact on the running community in particular.
“All of our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families of the bombings at the Boston Marathon today, as well as with the runners, spectators, volunteers and staff of the Boston Athletic Association,” she said.
“Marathons bring out the best of the human spirit and unite our cities and towns. This is a tragic day for all of us in the running community. We are here in full support of our close friends at the BAA.”
Earlier today, multiple bombs went off at the finish line of the Boston Marathon, killing at least two and injuring dozens more.
New York City has already stepped up its own security efforts in case there is a plot to attack additional cities, Mayor Michael Bloomberg announced.
“[T]he NYPD has stepped up security at strategic locations and critical infrastructure, including our subways,” the mayor said in a statement.
“Some of the security steps we are taking may be noticeable, including deployment of Critical Response Vehicles and additional police personnel, and others will not be. We have 1,000 members of the NYPD assigned to counter-terrorism duties, and they – along with the entire NYPD and the investments we have made in counter-terrorism infrastructure – are being fully mobilized to protect our city.”