While one-quarter of The Real Estate was down south swigging mescal and speaking pidgin Spanglish, the lords of landmarking, the L.P.C., did not rest. So we’re a little late in announcing these designations, but hold strong …. We’d feel remiss if we just let them pass by without comment.
P.S. 64, at 605 East Ninth Street, was built in 1906 by Charles B.J. Snyder, and it’s an example of the H-plan building that was a popular design for public schools in the last 100 years. This particular building is at the center of an ugly fight between developer Gregg Singer and the surrounding community. He wants to tear it down; the community wants it as is. The L.P.C. designation means it’s probably going to stay up, although Mr. Singer has vowed to go to court if the L.P.C. does what it did. See our previous coverage here. Also, The Village Voice reports that Mr. Singer might lose up to $20 million in tax breaks if he removes the building’s terra-cotta trim (he’s allowed to in spite of the landmarks designation because it was approved three years ago).
360 Third Avenue.
Down near the Gowanus, adjacent to the future Whole Foods store, the former New York and Long Island Coignet Stone Company building at 360 Third Avenue was landmarked. The two-and-a-half story, Italiante-style concrete structure was built in 1872-3 to house the stone company’s offices. Its factory supplied Coignet–artifical stone–for St. Patrick’s Cathedral, the Met and the Museum of Natural History.
The building, designed by William Field and Son, is made entirely of concrete.