Ancic Withdraws From U.S. Open


For those who were anxiously anticipating the Mario Ancic-Novak Djokovic match tomorrow — probably the best first-round match on paper, if not the best-looking first-round match — there’s bad news!

Mario Ancic, the studly 23-year-old Croatian who was once a Top 10 player, withdrew from his match against No. 3 Novak Djokovic this afternoon.

Ancic had mono earlier this year and has played in only one Grand Slam since.

For Djokovic, it’s a good break, who told me on Saturday that he didn’t like his opening draw one bit.

“I didn’t have any luck this time,” he said of Ancic. “I got a very difficult draw.”

Now, he gets a qualifier from the Netherlands, Robin Haase, who, Google Images confirms, is not a shabby replacement.

Ancic Withdraws From U.S. Open