Ever notice that the NYTimes.com most-emailed list is slanted toward an older demographic? Maybe because only folks over a certain age—like our Aunt Mabel—still use the email tool. Here’s a quick, annotated guide to what grandma and grandpa thought you might be interested in from NYTimes.com …
An Observation: In a way, it’s not surprising that MJ missed the top 10 this morning. Since last evening, it’s been news-shot-heard-round the world. Our friends tell us that every bar they went into last night, it was non-stop MJ everywhere. News shows did tributes. In other words, you don’t need an email from Auntie to tell you MJ died yesterday. And yet…yet it’s still a bit surprising! Auntie likes to ignore news stories (yesterday’s exemption: Mark Sanford) and it turns out MJ is no exception.
1. Six minute abs! (Auntie wants her exercise, but fast.)
2. Gail Collins debuts in the Top 10.
3. Car rental prices are through the roof! Uncle is not happy about this, especially.
4. Stone age tunes!
6. Tara Parker-Pope finishes in the top 6 for four straight days with this one (including no. 1 for two days). Strongest story ever. TPP shows a little MJ stamina, you might say!
7. Maira Kalman on Thomas Jefferson.
8. George Vecsey!
9. Whoa, ho. What were saying about news cycles? Auntie puts the Supreme Court in here.
10. Third part of a three-story package on how Africa is trying to stem the tide of deaths. Poor Day 1 bounce for a big piece.
Foreign Features: 1
National News: 1
Op-Ed Contributor: 1
Two Week Total:
Op-Ed contributors: 5