Ever notice that the NYTimes.com most-emailed list is slanted toward an older demographic? Maybe because only folks over a certain age—like our Aunt Mabel—still use the email tool. Here’s a quick, annotated guide to what Grandma and Grandpa thought you might be interested in from NYTimes.com …
1. Ha! Well, didn’t we predict this for you yesterday? The stats story rockets to No. 1. Let’s quote from Pat Kiernan’s “In the Papers” on this piece, a little bit of commentary that makes me giggle: “I never thought I’d write ‘hot’ and ‘statistician’ in the same sentence. But according to The New York Times, statistics is the ‘it’ field for graduates these days.” According to, indeed!
2. Gotta admit: We’re confused by this one. If that wretched Tom Friedman–Tom Watson story disgusted us from a few weeks ago, at least we knew why that was a Mabel favorite. It had all sorts of “inspirational” jargon. But why in the world is the haggis story No. 2? No idea! We think it’s pretty cool, but we just learned something new about Autie. Little Scottish blood!
3. Krugman on health care. It’s gonna win.
4. Oooh, Tara Parker-Pope, this is a score. Those Bittman salads—and Gretchen Reynolds’ recent run—clearly have put a little fire into that belly! This is no summer phone-in job! Are you ready? Redheads are afraid of the dentist because … numbing agents don’t work as well on them! Totally fantastic.
5. A. O. Scott, welcome to Mabel’s list! It took Nora Ephron and the world’s most overhyped film ever, but welcome.
6. Cold-room story has nice legs!
7. The week the Modern Love story stayed in the top 10 all week.
8. Oh, God! Please don’t let us go on the interview where there’s a credit check. That would be bad!
9. So, due to a little quirk, The Times has the Julie & Julia review on the top 10 list twice! That’s because the HTML is slightly different for both. Which means, taken together, this review would probably be No. 1
10. Asberger’s on the big screen!
Movie Review: 2
Modern Love: 1
Op-Ed Contributor: 1
(We counted the stats story as Technology + Money, and the two selections of Julie & Julia as Food + Movie Review.)
Op-Ed Contributors: 21
Movie Review: 2