Attorney General Eric Holder was on CBS’s Face the Nation yesterday morning, without much of an explanation for why there’s still no venue, nor timeline, for the trial of 9/11 mastermind Khalid Shaikh Mohammed.
“We’ve had to deal with a variety of things–funding, and dealing with Congress, the concerns that have been expressed by local officials,” Holder said. “We’re trying to work our way through that and as soon as we can, we’ll make a decision as to where that trial will occur. But we’re bound and determined to hold Khalid Shaikh Mohammed and those who worked with him responsible for what happened on September 11.”
The New York delegation objected vociferously to holding the trial in New York City, with Senator Chuck Schumer going so far as to issue a statement imploring the attorney general to declare Lower Manhattan off the table–something Holder has yet to do.
Yesterday, Holder reiterated his call for a civilian trial, and said he was disturbed by the politicization of the issue and called on legislators to work with the executive branch to arrive at a solution. “We’re going to have to work with Congress ultimately to bring this case to trial,” he said.